I made a Flickr-to-Neowin posting WebApp

First of all, the link:

Argote's Flickr poster for IPB forums BETA

Now...

I've recently been a bit ****ed at how difficult it has become to post a photo from Flickr to Neowin and decided to make a Web-App to take care of that, you just enter your username (the one in you URL). For example, my flickr page is http://flickr.com/photos/argote/ so I'd enter argote into the box and click on the button. The codes to post any (or all) of your last 20 images will come up along with a thumbnail of the photo and you just copy it and paste it into Neowin (or any other IPB forum).

So here's a couple of screenshots:

SS1.png

SS2.png

SS3.png

And here's the link again:

Argote's Flickr poster for IPB forums BETA

http://flickr.argote.mx/

Feel free to make any suggestions, keep in mind that this is still in BETA so things might go awry.

I have tested this on Opera 10.60 and Firefox 3.6.6 where it works perfectly, I've also tested it on Internet Explorer 8 where the font color for the lengend is wrong and in Chrome 5.0.375.99 where the text makes one of the elements overflow its area (it still works though, I'll look into this soon).

I have several future improvements in mind in no particular order (that I'll go about making sometime in the future)

• Put the codes in a TextArea and have it be autoselected (and maybe copied) on click (this currently doesn't work because I'd need to get rid of the HTML on the description)
  • Make the page NOT break if some kinds of HTML are included in the description or title
  • Make the page more aesthetically pleasing - Halfway done...
  • Enable selection of what data to include - DONE!
  • Enable selection of what photo size to post - DONE!
  • Enable you to select photos other than your 20 lastest on the photostream - DONE!
  • Integrate with location information (possibly with google maps) to add a small im age of the photo location to the post
  • Set integration

Feel free to share any thoughts.

• Like 1

If you accidentally pressed the button before inputing your name and are having problems with the loading, then refresh the page.

Also, if you want to load another user, refresh before doing so (I'll work on this too).

Basically, try using refresh if you run into any problems.

works really nice Argote. to get photo links i usually just used greasemonkey with a flickr plugin, but i like that this grabs the titles and camera settings too...

Hey guys, I've made some updates to the App, here's the changelog:

- There are now settings to select which EXIF data you want to post

- Unavailable data is no longer shown (if, for example, the lens info is not present on the EXIF then the Lens label will not be shown)

- You can now select from 4 image sizes

- You can now select the title size

- Slight changes for smoother animations

Thanks for the feedback, be sure to let me know of any issues

http://luisargote.com/flickr.php

nice job dude!

recommendation: Put a little padding between the cell walls so it's easier to select the text to copy and paste it, or maybe even put it in a text edit field.

This is a great app Argote. I run an Australian photo forum and have suggested use of it for that. Thankyou so much for your amazing smarts in coding!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, feel free to let me know if there are any suggestions from the members of your forum

It seems that its not working for some people...

try id saintsgirl35.. you will see what i mean..

It seems that its not working for some people...

try id saintsgirl35.. you will see what i mean..

Hello.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/saintsgirl35/

That page seems to not exist so "saintsgirl35" is probably the wrong ID, use whatever is on the URL.

BTW... I'll make updates to enable more than 20 photos (possibly Sets and Geotag info) sometime in the near future.

Hello.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/saintsgirl35/

That page seems to not exist so "saintsgirl35" is probably the wrong ID, use whatever is on the URL.

BTW... I'll make updates to enable more than 20 photos (possibly Sets and Geotag info) sometime in the near future.

Thanks Argote. You are right, she didnt assign her userid to the web address.. so its just the number id eg: 33183108@N06

• 2 weeks later...

Does it only show the first ~10 photos in your stream or something? I couldn't find a "next page" option.

Actually it doesn`t even show any photos at all. I hit enter after entering my flickr name and it just sits there and loads without bringing up any photos at all. I`ve gotten it to work with other people`s usernames but not my own... Very strange.

Does it only show the first ~10 photos in your stream or something? I couldn't find a "next page" option.

Yeah I haven't gotten around to adding that... I'll get to it soon though...

Actually it doesn`t even show any photos at all. I hit enter after entering my flickr name and it just sits there and loads without bringing up any photos at all. I`ve gotten it to work with other people`s usernames but not my own... Very strange.

Try entering "29002035@N04" which is what's on your Flickr URL

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Update: There is now a "More" button at the end that will allow you to get the next 20 photos from your stream until the end, this basically means that you can now get the codes for ALL your public photos which was the #1 requested feature.

Notes: This was a bit more complicated than I thought because I had made some incorrect design decisions when I started due to my unfamiliarity with jQuery and AJAX-Event callback handling, it has been sorted out now though.

Let me know what else you would like to see in my App and I'll consider it. Thanks for using it! I know Flickr shows BB Code now, but it still doesn't post the EXIF and other data that I consider is useful to share when posting a photo.

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of picky... but it'd be nice if after you typed your name you could hit "enter" to send the form instead of having to click the button.

Clicking is hard :(

• 2 weeks later...