Jeez, beat me to it there. :p

Disappointed they didn't fix the mouse lag though, thats the reason I haven't been playing it much yet, guess I'll have to wait until the next patch.

Apparently, this patch is causing Authentication issues with joining games now (which apparently might be caused by patched clients trying to join unpatched servers).

• 2 months later...

Game is still quite 'early' alpha, I'll check back in a year. No worries. I just wanted to try the new flamethrower but they still need to work on the engine. I still think developing their own in house was a huge mistake but thats just me. It is pretty but I'm not sure the extra years of dev time will be worth it. This game will take longer than DNF to manifest but I'm patient.

Just received another patch today and the game is definitely more playable, however if you want to play somewhat smoothly then there can only be 4 people at most on the server. People are also thinking that it's actually the overlay and menus which are slowing down the game instead of rendering the levels. The game is far too CPU dependent and doesn't seem to be using the GPU that much, which is an issue that needs to be corrected.

• 2 weeks later...

Beta is being released tomorrow. The alpha so far is still missing a lot of features e.g. Fade, Onos, many of the tech from NS1, so a lot of people think that the developers are running out of money. The current state of the alpha isn't that playable either, so hopefully the server related fixes will improve this significantly for tomorrows release.

Joytiq has just written an article which includes a short movie revealing the fade.

Beta is a lot better for me. FPS has dramatically improved and it looks great. Tram is still slow but the other 2 maps run great. It's still buggy but every patch improves things.

Hope they get enough money to complete the game. It'd be such a shame if they went bust.

They just moved into a new office facility so I'm not sure about these rumors of their demise. The game is probably a good year away at least so time will tell.

Still unplayable so I'm not sure why they upgraded it to beta, new features or not.

Good News! The game is a lot more playable. The only issue that remains are the features and the abysmal performance (~16 fps on my laptop). You can use r_stats 1 to view your fps count and net_stats to view the various network parameters.

Since everyone has such a low frame rate count, the aliens appear to be the easier team to play on.

Edit: Just played two full games on a server and it was completely smooth except at the very end. The fade blink effect is pretty neat. If the marine team gets flamethrowers and grenades (1 shot kill for anyone), then it becomes very difficult for the aliens.

• 2 weeks later...

How is the game performance-wise?

For most people during combat is around 8-20 fps. On my Dell Studio XPS 16 (Radeon 5730) I am receiving an average of 18 fps, with it dropping down to close 10 fps in combat.

It's going to take a while before the frame rate becomes decent since game developers tend to optimize after adding all of the features instead of at the same time. They have a performance thread on their forums.

For most people during combat is around 8-20 fps. On my Dell Studio XPS 16 (Radeon 5730) I am receiving an average of 18 fps, with it dropping down to close 10 fps in combat.

It's going to take a while before the frame rate becomes decent since game developers tend to optimize after adding all of the features instead of at the same time. They have a performance thread on their forums.

That's what I was afraid of. As much as I want to try the game early, I'd hate to play something that runs poorly on my PC. I guess I'll wait until it's released.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the heads up, Evolution. I'm going to let my friend know so we can split the cost 50/50. :p

• 5 months later...

Great, but I still wonder why they didnt just use the Source engine :s

This game is gonna be outdated before its even released :p