It looks like the game is shaping up quite well. I look forward to the summer release. :)

• 6 months later...

They ditched doing a open beta. That sorta sucks, Wanna try it before dumping 25 dollars into it. I liked NS1, just don't know how much they changed the gameplay.

Bet you are glad you pre-ordered in time. UWE didn't forget about their fans.

Yes, I am indeed. The presents are awesome. :)

I've seen some players with the black armour and it makes me regret my decision to pre-order it closer to the game's release date.

We have some presents for everyone who pre-ordered the game before today's Steam release (anyone who has played in the NS2 beta). You all receive:
  • A free upgrade to the Deluxe Edition detailed above
  • A free copy of NS2 Standard Edition to give to a friend or stroke lovingly
  • Continued private beta access right up to launch day in October

This means that today, we are giving away 45,000 copies of the NS2 Standard Edition for free. If you own the NS2 Special Edition (Black Armor) we will be adding an option to allow you to switch between Deluxe and Special Edition armor.

http://www.unknownwo...orders_on_steam

They ditched doing a open beta. That sorta sucks, Wanna try it before dumping 25 dollars into it. I liked NS1, just don't know how much they changed the gameplay.

I didn't know they planned on doing an open beta in the first place. I thought it was going to be a "pre-order to get access" beta up until the game's release.

Ohnoes, $25!! Teh horror! I'm buying copies for friends and holding onto my 'gift' copy. I'm several hundred hours in and it hasn't even released yet.

Worth.Every.Penny.

I didn't put in as many hours as you but I agree. I haven't had this much fun in years.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't received my extra copy yet, though I did receive any email about it. I pre-ordered it what must be well over a year ago and under the DLC tab it says I have "Natural Selection 2 - Black Armor".

I haven't gotten anything yet.....not even an email about it, I just happened to see this thread bumped and decided to check in and reading about this free copy and free deluxe upgrade....wondering where mine is. >.<

I haven't received my extra copy yet, though I did receive any email about it. I pre-ordered it what must be well over a year ago and under the DLC tab it says I have "Natural Selection 2 - Black Armor".

I haven't gotten anything yet.....not even an email about it, I just happened to see this thread bumped and decided to check in and reading about this free copy and free deluxe upgrade....wondering where mine is. >.<

I didn't receive an email about it either. I saw a notification for a new item in my inventory and as soon as I saw the gift icon, I knew it was Natural Selection 2. I pre-ordered it a day or two before they put up the Steam page.

Most shouldn't see them until release was my understanding. I don't have mine yet either, surprised yours showed up already.

According to posts from the developers on the NS2 forums (see here and here), the gifts are in Valve's hands. Some people that pre-ordered after the game went up on Steam received gifts and this is an error. The free gift is for those that pre-ordered the game before it went up on Steam. They also said that early supporters shouldn't be worried about their free gift. It should show up in your Steam inventory soon.

• 4 weeks later...

As the old saying goes, 'you've bitten off more than you can chew.' To which we reply: 'swallow it whole.'

Creating Natural Selection 2 was a risk, and an immense challenge. Combining two genres, Real Time Strategy and First Person Shooter, is difficult. Not only that, but creating an entirely new engine, Spark, for it all to run on added layers of complexity to the development.

The challenge has been met. Two factors have led us to this day. The first is the drive, skill, determination and dedication of the founders of Unknown Worlds. An entire company was built around this game. The second is the incredible commitment and support of the Natural Selection community. You funded it, you tested it, you submitted content, fixes and ideas to it, now you are telling the world about it.

Ten years ago a game tried something different. Exactly one decade later it will be back. We hope you will join us in welcoming it into the gaming world.

Release%20Date_600x338.jpg

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2012/10/natural_selection_2_release_date

Well it seems I am unable to edit my OP, if you want to add that info to it feel free to edit it.

As for NS2, I have lost interest in it (more so lost interest in most FPS for now, not NS2 specifically). What I paid for it years ago was still worth it, if only for how much I played the first one. Also, I do have a Steam Gift of NS2 (they gave gifts away to everyone who pre-ordered or something like that), if anyone here wants a free copy let me know. I don't think it lets you into the beta, but it will unlock as the full game at the end of this month.

Well it seems I am unable to edit my OP, if you want to add that info to it feel free to edit it.

As for NS2, I have lost interest in it (more so lost interest in most FPS for now, not NS2 specifically). What I paid for it years ago was still worth it, if only for how much I played the first one. Also, I do have a Steam Gift of NS2 (they gave gifts away to everyone who pre-ordered or something like that), if anyone here wants a free copy let me know. I don't think it lets you into the beta, but it will unlock as the full game at the end of this month.

Free Gifts? and no one's responded? Still looking to give it away?

Free Gifts? and no one's responded? Still looking to give it away?

I am, but I think I may post it in a new topic and give it a day then pick a person at random (based on post number in that thread), mid-day on a work/school day causes a lot of people to miss out on an opportunity.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally played as a commander and I loved it. It's a bit overwhelming at first. I wish they made it a little easier to know who needs what. Whenever I hear "need a medpack", I have to look at my teammates one-by-one until I find someone with low health. Also, the camouflage for aliens seems a little cheap. It's so easy to kill marines as a skulk when they can't see you coming.

It puts a clickable player notification on the middle right side of the screen when they call out. You can also group select your units.

A lot harder when you have armor and travel in groups, though silence is OP.

How is everyone finding it so far?

I never played the original mod (think I was too busy playing AvP/CoD circa 2002), but I am adoring it. Incredibly daunting to begin with, but ridiculously fun once you get a good understanding of the game.

I can forsee this being my new FPS multiplayer game, I've not become infatuated with one since Call of Duty: World At War, and even that was only because of the bolt rifles!

Stick with it, I think it does fit the maxim of easy to learn but hard to master. At least the community is a lot friendlier than MOBA, just make sure you learn to comm first in small games before jumping in the chair. ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Gorgeous is coming soon, can't wait! The new Descent map is awesome.

Yeah, the new map looks cool. I didn't know about "Gorgeous" though. Do they have any info on their website? All I see is "This month, Gorgeous is coming." on Facebook.