130 replies to this topic

#16 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:42

Okay 2 questions....

• Is it just an online FPS, or Does it have a SP campaign as well?
  • I somewhat recall checking out the original a long, long time ago, but honestly if I did, I do not remember much of it. So Is it worth checking out the original one still, or will it feel dated? It is quite old, so if it is going to feel dated, I do not want to do myself the disservice.
Basically I see some real high praise being thrown around in this thread, and it is definitely coming from members that while we may not always agree on all things gaming related, I do tend more often than not to agree with as far as games go. As such I respect their opinion, so just based on these members saying they have been anticipating this game, I am without a doubt interested. Not only that, but considering I can purchase the full game for $19.95 before the 26th, well if it is anywhere near as good as some are making it out to seem, then that to me just seems like a no-brainer. That, and I also really like the whole aliens on a ship concept too.

My biggest thing is if it is online only, I may have to pass, as quite frankly I really do only have sporadic times that I can game these days, so I prefer knowing there is a SP aspect for those times I hop on at weird hours and no one is around, and/or I am just feeling anti social. :laugh: And I do mean like a full fledged SP, if it is just a scenario where I can play offline with Bots ala Unreal Tournament, that gets old real quick for me.

But the price point is definitely looking real, real good, as I without a doubt do not need the special edition and I am not concerned about no alpha access.

TIA,
DL

#17 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:34

DL,

The game is an FPS/RTS hybrid and it's strictly MP, just like the original. The team doesn't have the resources to make a fully-fledged SP experience. Who knows though, maybe they'll consider doing it in the future. As for the original, it's an old mod for Half-Life so the graphics won't be easy on the eyes (especially if you're used to playing modern games). It's just one of those games that you had to play when it was released otherwise it won't be that interesting to you.

#18 OP Nagisan

Nagisan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:20

As Anaron said, it is multiplayer only. You may want to check out the original, but the graphics are quite dated. If you do check out the original, try to see if you like the general concept of how the game works (with two completely different sides, not just multiple different classes like TF2, for example). But, do it quickly if you can, as the price is rising after the 26th.

I personally played this game for about 5 years with a close friend, we got so good that the best players we knew were afraid to play against us. We would switch teams just to balance the game at times, but that was a few years so it will definitely take some retraining to get back to that level (one of the better players on our usual server made a comment once basically saying "Who else could take on me and ____ and actually win?" :p ).

I think if you have never played NS, or do not remember it, it may be worth checking out the original to get a better idea about the game concept and how it works together. Just try to play "classic mode" and not "combat", as the developers are not releasing combat mode at release (and may not ever, but it will be done via modding as some people absolutely love combat mode). The difference between the two is classic mode plays a bit like an RTS, where the marines have a commander who drops buildings and gives them weapons, while the marines go around and build these buildings. And the aliens (at least in NS1) run around and drop buildings themselves (no commander, but this may change with NS2), each side essentially trying to kill the other by destroying their base. In combat mode, it players more like a traditional FPS where you cannot build buildings, and instead just have to destroy the enemies base (which only consisted of their main building).

#19 +SoapyHamHocks

SoapyHamHocks

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:59

Really looking forward to this as well. Ended up purchasing the SE last night. Hope to see some of you on the 26th!

My Steam if anyone wants to add me http://steamcommunit.../SoapyHamHocks/

#20 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 22 July 2010 - 14:03

Thanks Anaron and Nagisan. (Y) I downloaded the original, so may have to check it out.

#21 OP Nagisan

Nagisan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 July 2010 - 19:05

Thanks Anaron and Nagisan. (Y) I downloaded the original, so may have to check it out.

If you enjoy the original as much as I did when I first played it, you might not be pre-ordering NS2 for the sheer fact you are having so much fun with the original. :p

Four days left for those who ordered the SE, and for those who are on the fence just remember, the Black marine armor is going to be the norm during the Alpha, because you can only play the alpha if you got the SE which also gives the black armor, but once the game is released and as time passes on, it will become more and more rare, so think of it as collecting comic books or something.

#22 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 22 July 2010 - 21:47

Pre-Ordered and anxiously awaiting alpha next week. I owed it to them after the absurd amound of time I played the first one. (Though I was forever partial to the earlier builds where the marines had little chance, more like Space Hulk!)

#23 Evolution

Evolution

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 July 2010 - 14:44

http://twitter.com/ns2

Expect the alpha to be released around 10 PM EST. Of course you had to have ordered the special edition to play the alpha.

#24 +SoapyHamHocks

SoapyHamHocks

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 July 2010 - 15:50

Expect the alpha to be released around 10 PM EST. Of course you had to have ordered the special edition to play the alpha.

"Building the alpha Steam depot" Hopefully sooner than that :woot:

#25 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 26 July 2010 - 16:00

It says order before the 26th for the alpha, would I still get it if I ordered today?

edit: ordered the special edition, which says it expires after today, so it looks like I will. And they emailed me with a 'special edition key' and said they would email details about the alpha when it comes out later today :)

#26 eviljedi

eviljedi

Neowinian

Posted 26 July 2010 - 18:16

I just pre-ordered this, looks pretty good (I've never played the first one).

I'm loving the avatar viper :yes:

#27 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 26 July 2010 - 19:28

Uploading the NS2 Alpha Steam depot to Valve... all 1 GB of it, wish we had a faster upload speed
2 minutes ago via web

#28 Evolution

Evolution

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 July 2010 - 21:11

http://www.unknownwo...2_alpha_tonight

We won't be able to play the game until 9 PM EDT (6 PM PDT), since that's when they're mailing "activation" codes for the alpha. However you may be able to download the alpha before then, just not play it.

#29 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 26 July 2010 - 22:38

Update available, still no keys.

#30 OP Nagisan

Nagisan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 July 2010 - 22:43

Update available, still no keys.

Bout time, I'm on a crappy 90KB/s connection (max, typical is around 80KB/s) and its going to take according to my math around 6 hours to download (though Steam is saying less than 2 hours....).

Hope Steam is right and I can play it tonight otherwise I will be stuck unable to play until tomorrow night.

EDIT: Also, don't expect a great game with the Alpha, many things are missing (such as Marine Jetpacks, Exoskeletons, Flamethrower, and the entire Alien Fade and Onos classes, as well as many other things), this is the Alpha, we are here to bug-find, but they did say they want to push out updates every week or two, all the way through to final, and they also said the Jetpack and "Crag" (some alien structure that nobody outside UWE knows anything about yet) were pulled last-minute and will be returning once they work out a few more issues with them, so expect the Alpha to improve over time all the way up to the release.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!