Photo

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

official rts starcraft blizzard pc

• Please log in to reply
1010 replies to this topic

Poll: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

What race do you play as (the most)?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#991 +zhiVago

zhiVago

Pax Orbis

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 05 November 2011 - 12:11

#992 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 18 November 2011 - 15:09

I wonder if Heart of the Swarm will encourage the use of tier 3 units. A lot of times, regular players and professionals alike will use tier 1, 1.5, and 2 units over tier 3 units because they're cheaper to produce (and take less time to produce as well). How often do you even see Battlecruisers, Carriers, or Ultralisks in a regular game? I'm currently in Diamond for 2v2 random and the last time I saw a tier 3 unit in a league game was months ago. My teammate and I went up against two macro-heavy Zerg players that used Ultralisks which were easily taken out by my Immortal/Colossi/Void Ray death ball. Anyway, I feel as though the new tier 3 Protoss unit will be just as useless as the Carrier it's going to replace.

#993 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 November 2011 - 00:38

Thors are used quite often, but only because they have to be to defend against Mutas.

#994 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:22

I wonder if Heart of the Swarm will encourage the use of tier 3 units. A lot of times, regular players and professionals alike will use tier 1, 1.5, and 2 units over tier 3 units because they're cheaper to produce (and take less time to produce as well). How often do you even see Battlecruisers, Carriers, or Ultralisks in a regular game?

Battlecruisers are often seen in lategame TvT. Carriers are a useless unit, but only because the Colossus already fills the "siege" unit role better, and the Colossus is T3 as well (Robo + specific tech building). Ultras just suck, but Broodlords are a common occurence in all matchups especially ZvT.

To get T3 units you're supposed to have a solid T1-T2 army to support it. The problem is that players will usually try to end the game before that, and with uneven skill levels and the element of surprise, especially at lower levels, it usually works. I think the game is well designed if players of equal skill, who understand what their opponent is doing, often transition into lategame. And that's basically what we're seeing, at least at the pro level. Considering how immature the metagame is, it's really not bad I think.

#995 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

Posted 23 November 2011 - 20:18

Battlecruisers are often seen in lategame TvT. Carriers are a useless unit, but only because the Colossus already fills the "siege" unit role better, and the Colossus is T3 as well (Robo + specific tech building). Ultras just suck, but Broodlords are a common occurence in all matchups especially ZvT.

To get T3 units you're supposed to have a solid T1-T2 army to support it. The problem is that players will usually try to end the game before that, and with uneven skill levels and the element of surprise, especially at lower levels, it usually works. I think the game is well designed if players of equal skill, who understand what their opponent is doing, often transition into lategame. And that's basically what we're seeing, at least at the pro level. Considering how immature the metagame is, it's really not bad I think.

When I said T3 units, I meant T3 air units. :pinch:

I've been playing some 1v1 league matches and so far, all I've seen is Brood Lords. I'll probably see Battlecruisers if I go against more Terrans and I doubt I'll see Carriers. Right now, Carriers seem like the most worthless unit for Protoss. It's expensive, slow, and it's easily taken out by lower-tier units.

#996 Razorwing

Razorwing

Who You Gonna Call?

• Phone: HTC One

Posted 23 November 2011 - 20:25

If you guys don't have SCII WOL yet, you can get it for $29 at the Blizzard store. Due to the Black Friday Madness.

#997 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

Posted 25 November 2011 - 14:11

It's definitely worth it for $29.99. Anyway, my friend and I finally made it into diamond league for 2v2. We're currently ranked 5 and it's about damn time. We actually went against masters league players. I'm also playing 1v1 league matches which is something I rarely do. I usually just play custom games to play maps that I like.

#998 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:17

StarCraft 2 on the news!

#999 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

Posted 21 March 2012 - 17:17

Patch 1.5 Is Coming
The upcoming 1.5 patch will be our most feature-laden patch to date. This patch represents the first steps towards the release of our first expansion for StarCraft II, Heart of the Swarm, and will include numerous upgrades and fixes throughout the game. One of the most significant additions will be the all new Arcade feature which includes improved custom game visibility, ratings, reviews, game instructions, screenshot support, and more. Patch 1.5 will also include significant improvements throughout the overall user interface, streaming support, antialiasing, editor and modding upgrades, new art tools, and more. We’ll go into further details about these features in future developer updates. In this update, I would like to provide some insight into the thinking and motivation behind a few of the upcoming changes.

Source: StarCraft II Blog

It's about time they added antialiasing support.

#1000 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 July 2012 - 00:33

Source: StarCraft II Blog

Well, if you have a BattleNet account that includes StarCraft II (yes - that includes the Starter Edition) you can test out the 1.5.0 patch before it goes live, as a new installer has been built around it (it does NOT replace the existing Starcraft II install, if any). I just installed the new (beta) version and I'm looking to try out StarJeweled (since I'm an admitted Bejeweled 3 addict).

And by the way, it *will* install on Windows 8 Release Preview.

#1001 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 11 July 2012 - 00:45

The fact that this game didn't support antialiasing up to this point is insane, but what's even more insane is that I never noticed aliasing and never wanted anti-aliasing. Somehow Blizzard does 3D graphics that don't suffer from aliasing. :s

#1002 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:02

The fact that this game didn't support antialiasing up to this point is insane, but what's even more insane is that I never noticed aliasing and never wanted anti-aliasing. Somehow Blizzard does 3D graphics that don't suffer from aliasing. :s

It is precisely this fact that led me to call the SC II beta one of the most hardware-friendly AAA titles done by anybody.

However, for some reason, they did NOT change the default settings based on hardware detection from the RTM/GA settings - it still defaults to Low detail for GPUs with 512MB of DDR3, despite High (not Ultra) detail being just as playable (albeit at 1280x720).

One thing I have decidedly noticed is that the backgrounds (all maps) are decidedly crisper than the RTM/GA versions of the same maps - has anyone else noticed this (1.5.0 beta only)?

#1003 +zhiVago

zhiVago

Pax Orbis

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 01 August 2012 - 20:59

So, apparently 8 gigs of free space on C: aint enough to perform a patch update/optimization. wtf Blizz :angry:

#1004 Manarift

Manarift

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 12 September 2012 - 23:35

Just saw this on TeamLiquid and anther site with the response from the Training Facility

Snip of the post.

Hello everyone

So if someone didn't know I moved into Ministry of Win gaming house a month ago. We agreed on skype that I stay there for 3 months and I pay 2500zlt monthly (around 600euros).
I left/got kicked from the house yesterday because I didn't sign the contract. I wanted to get my lawyer to check the contract before signing it, because in my opinion it was full of ****:
Basically the contract said that a player who comes to the house needs to stream for MoW 150hours a month (5hours a day) and MoW house takes a cut from your streaming revenues: So basically you come to the house, you pay 600euros so you could have best conditions to practice but still you have to work for the house?
I mean if you have this kind of "surprises" in the contract, why don't you tell them before player actually comes to the house? When we talked about my coming I was only interested about my practicing over there and that's what we agreed.

Source http://www.teamliqui...topic_id=368265

Snip Of the Post

In his forum post, Romppanen explains that he and Krupowies agreed via a Skype conversation that the Fin would stay at the house for three months at a rate of 600 euros per, which would be paid by Romppanen to MoW. However, a month following Fuzer’s moving in to the house, he had still not signed the contract. “I wanted to get my lawyer to check the contract before signing it, because in my opinion it was full of ****,” Fuzer said in his TeamLiquid.net post.

Source http://esfiworld.com...d-fuzers-claims

I dont know my thoughts on contract stuff is should be signed even before you enter the facility.

#1005 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:24

Merged

I guess I haven't been following StarCraft 2 eSports enough to know about Ministry of Win. I saw a video tour of the house on YouTube and it looks better than a hotel. Anyway, it doesn't make sense to move into a house without signing a contract. MoW is at fault for allowing this. Also, Samuli "Fuzer" Romppanen is at fault for not reading the contract because it seems like he was surprised by the 150 hours per month streaming requirement.