Did Apple use Cell Signal Jamming Device?

Apple recently posts many video of other phones claiming that these phones suffer the same problem as the iPhone 4 does. This is a dirty tactics. Most recently another victim is Droid X. However, In normal condition, it is almost impossible to replicate the problem claimed by Apple. Many users tried to grip the phones like Apple does and they don't even drop a single bar. My question is that Did Apple use Cell Signal Jamming Device to film these videos? You know, after they grip the phone, someone turn the devices on and the signal on the phone will start to drop fast.

Anyone are welcome to join the discussion. I am very unhappy with Apple's action. The tactic is too dirty. Why nobody sue Apple?

Even if you are a hardcore Apple fan, you should keep the discussion fair and open-minded. Steve Jobs is killing Apple with all the lies.

[update]

One guy tested all the phone here, and cannot replicate what Apple did:

I doubt it. It would be too obvious. You say yourself that it is "almost impossible" to achieve the same results, which shows that it is still possible. Ater a lot of patience, I finally managed to hold my 9700 in a way that it lost most of its signal. Indeed it was an incredibly uncomfortable way of holding it and it wouldn't be a problem in day to day usage, but Apple aren't flat out lying with those tests. You can't sue them for demonstrating faults with their competitors products, even if it is a childish way of trying to make them not seem so bad.

Also, in the videos they've posted the phones rarely lose ALL of their signal - surely if they were using a jamming device, the phone would go straight into a no service mode?

I firmly believe they did. I have tested my blackberry curve, a friend's 9700 (which apple showed in the video dropping a huge amount) and an iphone 3gs. The bbs started with 4/5 signal strength and only dropped to 3/5 when the entire phone was covered in hands. The 3gs started 3/5 and dropped to 2/5 only when fully covered as well.

I have since tried this out in serveral other areas in town (I live outside of town, hence the 4/5 signal) and haven't had ANY drop covering my entire bb curve.

The videos show a MASSIVE drop on these phones, so I definitely call bull

I doubt it. It would be too obvious. You say yourself that it is "almost impossible" to achieve the same results, which shows that it is still possible. Ater a lot of patience, I finally managed to hold my 9700 in a way that it lost most of its signal. Indeed it was an incredibly uncomfortable way of holding it and it wouldn't be a problem in day to day usage, but Apple aren't flat out lying with those tests. You can't sue them for demonstrating faults with their competitors products, even if it is a childish way of trying to make them not seem so bad.

Also, in the videos they've posted the phones rarely lose ALL of their signal - surely if they were using a jamming device, the phone would go straight into a no service mode?

The guy here test all the phone and cannot replicate.

Also the effect of drop bar slowly can be done by turn on and turn off cell signal jamming device during the video.

They wouldn't need to use a "signal jamming device" - they spoke in the keynote about some state of the art testing chamber that they use which completely blocks outside signals. If this is true then they can just control the level of the testing signal from the inside. They'd probably just have to move a slider to lower the signal.. simples.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that I think Apple are lying about their claims, but they definitely twist things to suit their argument. These other phones have not received widespread criticism of the "problem" which indicates it's probably not as easy to reproduce as it is on the iPhone. Also, notice how they didn't demonstrate a one finger signal drop? That's because it's only the iPhone that that happens to.

The guy here test all the phone and cannot replicate.

Also the effect of drop bar slowly can be done by turn on and turn off cell signal jamming device during the video.

I already said I can replicate it on my 9700, so that video is meaningless.

You seem like the sort of person who is going to say they are guilty unless they are proven innocent, so there is just no point arguing. I just can't see Apple being so obvious in faking these videos. It's known that phones do have issues when you cover their antennas and Apple's problem is that their antenna lies on the outside in the natural holding position. I don't know why Apple is trying to use these videos to defend themselves because it is clearly their fault for making the antenna so exposed, but to call fake on them with no real proof is absurd.

I don't think Apple would stoop so low and use a signal jamming device, It just seems a little bit over the top. I remember in the press conference Steve Jobs said it only happens in certain areas and by that I assume he means low signal... Well I hope he does :D

Does anyone have a spare tinfoil hat, I cant seem to find mine.... :rofl:

Sure. 20 ? and it's yours.

To the OP: You can't be serious. Apple would risk their reputation by using cell signal jamming devices. Not to mention they'd risk being sued by other phone manufacturers. So... the answer to your question is no.

You can't sue them for demonstrating faults with their competitors products, even if it is a childish way of trying to make them not seem so bad.

It's "I'm a Mac and I'm a PC" ad campaign all over again.

Firstly, Apple wouldn't be able to get away with "faking" the tests. We've seen how vocal the competitors have been and if they believed Apple were outright faking videos of their products then they would take legal action. I don't understand people who claim this is childish by Apple though. Didn't motorola have a dig in some if their advertising in the new York times or similar? If they're going to dish it out they should expect to receive it as well.

What Apple doesn't tell us is that in each of these videos the initial signal strength is probably important and varies between the videos as well as a wide range of other individual factors for each model. All the issues on those videos CAN be replicated under the right conditions and Apple have obviously wasted a lot of their time taking competitors phones apart and testing them.

The difference between "most phones" and the iPhone is that the iphone can drop signal with just a finger and in a wider variety of conditions compared to other phones because of how exposed their antenna is.

Attenuation will happen to all antennas, but what most phone manufacturers do is not tell you where it is and will try and put it in an area which isn't likely to be held in a way that would attenuate the signal.

I would not put it past them to be using Signal Jammers.

Whether they are using jammers or not, this whole debacle makes me lose what remaining respect I had for Apple. Seems like they are spending more on advertising/PR/Band-aid remedies to cover up the issue than to just fix it properly. They are trying to give the image that their products are flawless while they are still pumping out defective iPhones off the production line.

I wonder if the signal bar strength is the same across the board, is two bars on a nokia the same as two bars on an iPhone for example.

I don't think much of Apple after this mess, it's an obvious design flaw that is magnified compared to most other devices because of the design. They way Apple have acted is rather embarrassing and even worse an obviously PR bloated $175 million case deployment to solve the issue. It shows you what they think of customers.

It's apple, they lie about everything. I am having major issues with my lowly ipod toch after upgrading it to os4 and the battery dying after a few hours of not even using the damn thing. They freely admit that os4 constantly connects to wifi even when not in use or when on standby, but they will not fix it as it is a feature "everyone wanted" I do not want it. They will not offer a refund to me, and I have even been told that I should not play games on the ipod as it is not designed for that. If that is the case then I want a full refund for al of the games I have bought. Sadly the automotons they employ at apple (im sure they are all retards) just keep repeating the same thing over and over again, it is not our faulty it is the fault of yourself. It's as if they are told keep repeating it and you will soon believe it to be a fact.

I have just got off the phone yet again after a lengthy call to apple and am no nearer getting this resolved than I was two weeks ago. The guy, allegedly a manager/senior technician from Cork in Ireland calling himself Freek (Im sure they're all freeks who work for apple) and all he would say was what I have already iterated, it's my fault, I updated to os4 and I cannot go back, they know of the issues but will not fix it as that is what people wanted, and that it was worse before os4 as apps used to run in the background under 3.1.3 and there was no way of turning them off, whereas under os4 you can double click the home button and then close them down, which is better for the battery. Again this is pure bullsh*t from apple. Do they think that we are all retards and will blindly accept what they say as gospel, the gospel according to apple?

I was even told just now that I am having issues as I am using a PC to charge my ipod and the USB ports on a PC are not up to the job of charging an ipod so I should invest in an apple mac and then there would be no issues. What a load of crap, I charge my ipod with a charger I bought from the apple store, and why should I spend 2 grand on purchasing a piece of hardware that is no use to anyone, even if it did allow me to charge my ipod "properly"

So getting back on topic, it doesnt surprise me that apple will stoop to such levels to try and prove they are not the only ones, apple is rotten to the core. Steve 'big' Jobbie is to blame as he's full of sh*t too

I already said I can replicate it on my 9700, so that video is meaningless.

You seem like the sort of person who is going to say they are guilty unless they are proven innocent, so there is just no point arguing. I just can't see Apple being so obvious in faking these videos. It's known that phones do have issues when you cover their antennas and Apple's problem is that their antenna lies on the outside in the natural holding position. I don't know why Apple is trying to use these videos to defend themselves because it is clearly their fault for making the antenna so exposed, but to call fake on them with no real proof is absurd.

May be you are correct. The 9700 indeed have problem. But other phones, it is not that easy. Many people grip Droid X and the signal is even stronger (gaining at least 1 bar).

Nobody call all videos are fake. The main point of this discussion is to figure out the truth. You are working for Apple? Why so critical? Just talking here.

It's apple, they lie about everything. I am having major issues with my lowly ipod toch after upgrading it to os4 and the battery dying after a few hours of not even using the damn thing. They freely admit that os4 constantly connects to wifi even when not in use or when on standby, but they will not fix it as it is a feature "everyone wanted" I do not want it. They will not offer a refund to me, and I have even been told that I should not play games on the ipod as it is not designed for that. If that is the case then I want a full refund for al of the games I have bought. Sadly the automotons they employ at apple (im sure they are all retards) just keep repeating the same thing over and over again, it is not our faulty it is the fault of yourself. It's as if they are told keep repeating it and you will soon believe it to be a fact.

I have just got off the phone yet again after a lengthy call to apple and am no nearer getting this resolved than I was two weeks ago. The guy, allegedly a manager/senior technician from Cork in Ireland calling himself Freek (Im sure they're all freeks who work for apple) and all he would say was what I have already iterated, it's my fault, I updated to os4 and I cannot go back, they know of the issues but will not fix it as that is what people wanted, and that it was worse before os4 as apps used to run in the background under 3.1.3 and there was no way of turning them off, whereas under os4 you can double click the home button and then close them down, which is better for the battery. Again this is pure bullsh*t from apple. Do they think that we are all retards and will blindly accept what they say as gospel, the gospel according to apple?

I was even told just now that I am having issues as I am using a PC to charge my ipod and the USB ports on a PC are not up to the job of charging an ipod so I should invest in an apple mac and then there would be no issues. What a load of crap, I charge my ipod with a charger I bought from the apple store, and why should I spend 2 grand on purchasing a piece of hardware that is no use to anyone, even if it did allow me to charge my ipod "properly"

So getting back on topic, it doesnt surprise me that apple will stoop to such levels to try and prove they are not the only ones, apple is rotten to the core. Steve 'big' Jobbie is to blame as he's full of sh*t too

Based on this feedback I can really see where Apple are at. I have seen Apple's smugness as a company for a while now, and no offence to any customer who has purchased Apple products (I am one of them) or been burnt by them, but it brings a smile to my dial to see that finally the "#### has hit the fan" and I would really like to see these issues taken further with consumer protection groups. I hope that Apple get screwed rotten for what they've done, to me It's not the fact that he product releases are bad, every production company goes through some bad releases, it's the attitude and constant lies that they push out to their customers. Maybe the Reality Distortion Field has finally been broken.

Some of the replies here are hilarious. Do you all think Apple has a personal vendetta against you?

Also, it's pretty straight forward to revert back to 3.1.3 should you need to.

@ynnoj .. without trying to go off topic ... how do I revert back to 3.1.3? I have been told by apple it's impossible to do, both over the phone and in person at the apple store in Liverpool. Plus as mentioned they all seem to want to blatantly lie in order to big up their devices/products. That is not the way to run a company. Yes I bought their product but do not see why I should be treated like an idiot when they freely admit that their product update was faulty, but accept no responsibility, the responsibility according to them is down to me as I was the one who updated. Surely that is wrong? Or are you another of those completely blinded by apple and gladly hang onto their every word as though it were some sort of prophetic speech? Pathetic speech more like in apples case.

I dont know what you guys are doing with the 9700, but the only way I can get it to drop signal is to sandwich the entire phone between both hands. Even then it holds steady at 2 or 3 bars.

I have not been able to replicate the issue holding it any other way, and I've tried numerous times in different locations with different signal strengths.

I dont think Apple used signal jammers, but if it turns out they did I wouldnt exactly be shocked.

The only thing this video proves is that this is a common issue between smart phones and that iPhone 4 has more bars than the Samsung and the other one when held at the antenna side - exactly the same thing SJ said on the press conference.

I wonder if the signal bar strength is the same across the board, is two bars on a nokia the same as two bars on an iPhone for example.

I don't think they are the same, I reckon if someone did that, they would end up suing each other.