Major Google Chrome Disaster HELP !

Question

I have been using Chrome for awhile without any problems. Today in the morning I turned on Chrome and got a message saying that the preferences file is corrupt or invalid. Chrome had lost everything I had including all history, plug-ins, themes, bookmarks, settings, EVERYTHING realmad.gifrealmad.gifrealmad.gif It was like I was installing Google Chrome for the very first time. Is there any way possible to recover it. I looked it up on their forums and it seems as if its a known issue in the version 5 builds. Any help would be appreciated !!!

10 answers to this question

^Do you know if you had been using the Sync function in Chrome? If so, it should've backup all the stuff that you're missing.

Other then that I wouldn't know what to do. I've never experienced this with Chrome. If you hadn't been using the Syn function, now is the time ;)

Assuming you're using Windows Vista or Windows 7, your bookmarks are stored here:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

In WindowsXP, my guess is that it would be stored here:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Local Settings\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

You should also see an Extensions folder in there as well. However, i'm not sure if just copying that folder will allow them to work.

Copy the bookmarks file to your new profile.

Were you not using the sync feature? If you were, they are in docs.google.com

Otherwise, you can also use the xmarks extension in the future.

NO, I wasn't using the Sync feature. I mean is it all gone now, I can't recover anything at all ?

NO, I wasn't using the Sync feature. I mean is it all gone now, I can't recover anything at all ?

If the spot where all of your settings and bookmarks should be located at is gone, then I guess you could use some file recovery software that recovers deleted files.

Other than that, all I can recommend is to regularly backup your bookmarks from now on.

If the spot where all of your settings and bookmarks should be located at is gone, then I guess you could use some file recovery software that recovers deleted files.

Other than that, all I can recommend is to regularly backup your bookmarks from now on.

Try Recuva

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

And have it scan that folder path.

Tried it, didn't work sad.gif any more ideas ?