Chrome using a lot of Memory.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 CPressland

CPressland

www.absolute.com

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 03 August 2010 - 16:12

So I've been using Google Chrome on my Mac for a long time now, and naturally, I don't close it. What I'm concerned about, and I've never seen this in Firefox or Safari is the amount of memory it's using.

Any ideas guys? Only got a few tabs open.

Attached Images

• Screen shot 2010-08-03 at 17.08.10.png

#2 Pharos

Pharos

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 August 2010 - 16:19

Wait, I'm confused. You complain that Chrome is using a lot of memory, yet Safari is using twice the amount, and Firefox a bit more as well. :wacko:

I probably did not understand you correctly.

#3 Jan

Jan

It's not a Navy boat, it's a Gravy boat

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 03 August 2010 - 16:21

Wait, I'm confused. You complain that Chrome is using a lot of memory, yet Safari is using twice the amount, and Firefox a bit more as well. :wacko:

I probably did not understand you correctly.

Other processes?

#4 Bengal34

Bengal34

Neowinian

Posted 03 August 2010 - 16:24

Maybe shut it down when you aren't using it?

#5 TemperingPick

TemperingPick

Neowinian

Posted 03 August 2010 - 16:28

I think that they are talking about the last 2 processes.

#6 OP CPressland

CPressland

www.absolute.com

Posted 03 August 2010 - 16:36

Yeah, I'm talking about the 3GB+ of memory being used. LMFAO

#7 DavidM

DavidM

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 August 2010 - 18:37

So I've been using Google Chrome on my Mac for a long time now, and naturally, I don't close it. What I'm concerned about, and I've never seen this in Firefox or Safari is the amount of memory it's using.

Any ideas guys? Only got a few tabs open.

Naturally? Closing a program when I've finished using it seems more "natural", than leaving it to sit and do nothing?

Can I ask why you leave your browser running if you aren't using it? What about playing games.... oh right, Mac user. <- THAT'S A JOKE PEOPLE!!!!

#8 instant.human

instant.human

resident loser

Posted 03 August 2010 - 21:54

In my experience, chrome kinda sucks in more memory the longer it's running. I close it like everytime I don't have a tab open anymore. Never was a friend of the red button.

Just try to really close it every now and than and I am sure you will be fine...
It's a little like iTunes, which I for myself leave open like 24/7. After two or three days it uses more RAM than any other program I run. I restart it and voila, back to normal. =)

#9 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 03 August 2010 - 22:00

Are you using the Adblock extension?

#10 Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 03 August 2010 - 22:06

Something on your machine is causing memory leak or something on it.. I'm not sure what's happening there but my chrome runs fine and I have multiple tabs, flash websites running in it etc.

Posted Image

#11 redvamp128

redvamp128

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 August 2010 - 22:32

Any Flash sites? Try this-- change all your open pages to Google.com and see if the memory comes back... I know Flash videos for example take up a lot of memory and some cpu when loaded for a long time.

#12 OP CPressland

CPressland

www.absolute.com

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:59

Naturally? Closing a program when I've finished using it seems more "natural", than leaving it to sit and do nothing?

Can I ask why you leave your browser running if you aren't using it? What about playing games.... oh right, Mac user. <- THAT'S A JOKE PEOPLE!!!!

Yes, No sense closing an Application when you have 8GB of RAM sitting there doing sweet frak all. I've often left multiple games running at the same time too. Theres no harm in it, Mac OS X has very good memory management and will just page off apps I'm not using.

Are you using the Adblock extension?

Nope, just 1Password

#13 WigglesTheFish

WigglesTheFish

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:15

I've seen Chrome get kind of large at times, but right now I'm running the latest dev build and I usually leave Chrome running all the time, and it's only using about 200MB total (all processes) and I use the Adblock extension!

#14 Elliott

Elliott

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 04 August 2010 - 15:18

I have memory to throw around (10GB), but I've also noticed Chrome can take up quite a bit of memory. Safari 5 is a lot more efficient in my testing. Then again, if Safari 5 crashes, it crashes, so there's a tradeoff there. I'll be interested in seeing what WebKit 2's memory management/usage is like.

#15 OP CPressland

CPressland

www.absolute.com

Posted 04 August 2010 - 16:09

I have memory to throw around (10GB), but I've also noticed Chrome can take up quite a bit of memory. Safari 5 is a lot more efficient in my testing. Then again, if Safari 5 crashes, it crashes, so there's a tradeoff there. I'll be interested in seeing what WebKit 2's memory management/usage is like.

Thankyou for a constructive answer. Any ideas when we'll be seeing builds of Chrome with WebKit 2?