official bioshock infinite irrational games 2k games pc os x ps3 xbox 360

• Please log in to reply
344 replies to this topic

#316 curme

curme

Grand Inquisitor

• 4,121 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 00:54

I found the game so unengaging I can't find the motivation to finish it. I'm pretty sure that I am on the last chapter, I am on my way to meet Comstock. I tried it on easy just to rush through the level and see the ending, but I wasn't up for the grind.

I loved Bioshock, but Infinite's story falls flat. I found the writing and characterization to be wooden and disjointed. I wonder if they had 8 hours of story, and only 4 hours of gameplay (they even padded the levels to stretch out the story), so they had to whittle the story down and took so much out of it that it fell flat.

The combat wasn’t fun. It was fun in Bioshock, but not in Infinite. I wonder if it’s because the combat system of plasmids and weapons are best suited to an enclosed environment and not an open one.

I found Elizabeth to be very two dimensional. I just couldn’t feel a connection to her and couldn’t care if she lived or died. Her dialogue and actions were stilted and lack cohesion. I mean, Alyx Vance, now that’s a character that made me feel for her! Elizabeth was just some tepid NPC to me.

The main character, his decisions and reactions were all over the map, without any clear reason as to why he did anything. Sure, there was exposition, but again it seemed that there were huge gaps in characterization in order to wrap it around uninspired gameplay.

At this point I am tempted just to read about the ending, or watch it on youtube, rather than zerg forward. I’m going to give it some time and maybe I will feel motivated to finish and find out what happened in a month or so.

#317 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,547 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:04

I actually had to use a trainer just to pass the last fight. I COULDN'T DO IT! I even tried it on Easy! Still got my ass kicked!

#318 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,966 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:08

The main game will not make sense until you complete it, so complete it first then judge the story.

#319 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• 17,032 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 30 April 2013 - 15:02

Since patch 1.1 and the new ATI catalysts released a couple of days ago the game has really started to lag, which is odd given that I haven't changed any of the settings. I was one of the lucky people that didn't experience any lag on the release version infact it ran very smoothly for me. I've tried a couple of suggested fixes (Vsync and changing the pool size) and no help. Anyone else noticed this problem? :/

Update: Fixed it by opening /my documents/my games/Bioshock Infinite/XGame/Xengine.ini and putting in these values:

They were originally at 512. Setting them both to 2048 eradicated my lag

Hmmm, my game recently started lagging (I am on Nvidia though), so going to see if this does anything for me. Thanks for sharing.

I found the game so unengaging I can't find the motivation to finish it. I'm pretty sure that I am on the last chapter, I am on my way to meet Comstock. I tried it on easy just to rush through the level and see the ending, but I wasn't up for the grind.

I loved Bioshock, but Infinite's story falls flat. I found the writing and characterization to be wooden and disjointed. I wonder if they had 8 hours of story, and only 4 hours of gameplay (they even padded the levels to stretch out the story), so they had to whittle the story down and took so much out of it that it fell flat.

The combat wasn’t fun. It was fun in Bioshock, but not in Infinite. I wonder if it’s because the combat system of plasmids and weapons are best suited to an enclosed environment and not an open one.

I found Elizabeth to be very two dimensional. I just couldn’t feel a connection to her and couldn’t care if she lived or died. Her dialogue and actions were stilted and lack cohesion. I mean, Alyx Vance, now that’s a character that made me feel for her! Elizabeth was just some tepid NPC to me.

The main character, his decisions and reactions were all over the map, without any clear reason as to why he did anything. Sure, there was exposition, but again it seemed that there were huge gaps in characterization in order to wrap it around uninspired gameplay.

At this point I am tempted just to read about the ending, or watch it on youtube, rather than zerg forward. I’m going to give it some time and maybe I will feel motivated to finish and find out what happened in a month or so.

I am tempted to do the same as well. Just may watch a video online of the ending and be done with it. Either that or I am definitely going to put the game on Easy just so I can see this "amazing" ending, I am so bored and so struggling to beat this game right now it is not even funny. This easily wins the most overhyped game in the history of video games IMHO. I just cannot get how it is receiving so much praise when the gameplay itself is so damn repetitive. It would be similar to saying a movie is great because it has a fantastic soundtrack. Just does not make for a complete package.

#320 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• 3,240 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:06

Just finished this earlier. While it wasn't bad i don't quite think it's as good as reviews say. It's very pretty(on the pc of course) but the gameplay is pretty basic(and easy, like all bioshocks) and the story can be a bit messy. Especially the ending. You either have to stop and think about it for a good while afterwards or read an explanation of it for it to REALLY make any sense.

#321 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• 2,101 posts
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:47

This easily wins the most overhyped game in the history of video games IMHO.

That's only reserved for FFVII, but I knew this game is really nothing innovative, when reviewers say things like 10/10 unforgettable is because they really have lowered their standards by nowadays games.

#322 REM2000

REM2000

Neowinian Senior

• 2,279 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:07

Thanks for sharing this, as it lets me know I am not going crazy, as it seems like those of us with this particular opinion of the game are definitely in the minority.

I sometimes wonder if I have just become to harsh of a critic, but I really do not think this is the case. For example, I am really loving the new Tomb Raider game, and in fact I have gone back to playing it for now. So it is not that I do not like any games out there, it just so turns out I am not loving the one game it seems the majority of the gaming world is currently all about. I no doubt am still going to finish it eventually, just feel as if taking a break from it may reinvigorate something and I am hoping I will enjoy it that much more.

And also wanted to say, I could not agree more about the plasmids vs vigors. In the original Bioshock, the existence of plasmids made a ton of sense. In this game, the vigors seem forced in to the overall storyline itself. Absolutely agree there. (Y)

I forgot about this thread, but i completed the game and the ending was an underwhelming as the rest of the game. Very surprised, just how it stumbled really. It's almost like the game was a series of side missions with the main core ripped out.

Really dissapointed with the game, good generic shooter but not a good Bioshock game.

I agree, i thought i was becoming a little jaded, but playing the first bioshock again, even for a few minutes, the level of detail between the two is really noticeable, the detail is in that Rapture feels like a fully fleshed out world, everything makes sense (in a dystopian crazy kind of way :laugh: ) but infinite it just didn't really make much sense, the extremes in the game seem to really flare up for no reason but to provide a framework for the shooter element of the game, as rapture, the extremes all played in with the overall story.

I agree with Tomb Raider and would add Dishonored which seemed more a bioshock game than infinite, solid story, good level design and ideas which fitted into the world and made it believable.

You can see in the orginal E3 videos that there was going to be a solid dynamic between DeWitt/Elizabeth and Song Bird but for reasons unknown they must have had to rip it all out and release what they had left.

#323 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

• 8,687 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 13:13

There's a LOT of layered little things in the game that once you find them out, stay with you.

For instance, when you ring the bells to begin, you ring 1, 2, 2.

The coin flip chart -- adds up to 122 (the current flip being marked at 123).

Reddit has a bunch of theories on the numbers 122 and 123 (and 77).

"..The number 77 on the baseball, leaves us with 1835. A year where Judge William Harper of South Carolina ruled that a person's acceptance as white, not the proportion of white and black blood, determine a person's race. - Interesting Regarding the Interracial Couple..."

"..
in 1790, 122 years before Infinite takes place and I found the Naturalization Act of 1790. The Naturalization Act established the first rules regarding American citizenship, and excluded Native Americans, Blacks, and Asians..."

"..Bible Verse:
Philippians 1:22 If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know!

Then: Peter 1:23 For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God..."

All could be reaches, but damn, there's a bunch more.

#324 Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

• 7,621 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 18:39

Okay so how shall I put this.

I dont really discuss games or anything at forums. Mainly because I don't feel like writing two dozen lines for the impression and all. But I have to say something about this game.

I tried playing the original Bioshock. Didn't work. I tried to play the second one. Didn't work. So whenever I saw the name Bioshock Infinite in the news on forums and gaming websites, I just ignored it and moved over. But as soon as I read the review at IGN and GameSpot, those being the only two gaming sites I visit, I decided to see the video review on GameSpot and that convinced me to play the game.

So I played it. And played it. And played it. And finally, I finished a game, my first one since last year' Dishonored. I have played many games in my life, too many to count, but only few games sucked me into their world like Infinite did. I just wanted to start it again and continue right where I left to see what lies ahead. It was amazing from beginning till end.

Ahh, the ending. The word mind-blowing will cover only a small fraction of what the ending was. It is something I won't forget for a foreseeable future.

I dont think I have ever rated a game higher than 9.5, but this one deserves it like none other.

10/10

#325 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,966 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 21:36

I'm happy to hear that you persuaded yourself to play and finish it. As far as I'm concerned any gamer that values compelling storytelling is missing out if they don't complete it.

#326 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,315 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 21:55

Arright people I'll give it a shot finally. 42% off. I can handle that.

#327 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

• 8,687 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 13:35

2 New DLC packs announced.  Arena match "Clash In The Clouds", and story-driven "Burial At Sea: Episode 1".

#328 Anthony Tosie

Anthony Tosie

Neowinian

• 1,409 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:00

Who on earth asked for an arena mode? :/ C'mon Irrational, no one wants that garbage -- the gunplay was perhaps the worst aspect of the game.

#329 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• 19,141 posts
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 31 July 2013 - 19:09

The story is very detailed, I don't often play games over a 2nd or 3rd time but with infinite it's worth not rushing and trying to find all the voxiphones at least as they expand the story and give you much needed details that make sense when you're done.  As for the ending itself, I thought it was pretty straight forward, or maybe I've read and watched enough scifi that it didn't seem complicated to me.

As has been pointed out though there are enough hints/clues right from the start that if you've played it once you pick up on the 2nd and 3rd time.  Like at the first scene where the guy tells the girl that "he DOESN'T" row.  heh, those little details are such nice touches.

Anyways I can't wait for the two part story driven DLC, that trailer has my mind racing with ideas about what might be going on.  Oh and older Elizabeth is <3. 

#330 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• 2,101 posts
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 31 July 2013 - 19:16

The game was OK... not as bad as I thought it would be, the ending was just plain bad, [spoiler\] this is not the only attempt that I have seen on a game trying to use multiverse [\spoiler], I actually played the game very fast and did every single thing it was possible to do on the game, considering I tend to explore every single part of the world since I'm an old school RPG gamer. Difficulty was set on normal though. I certainly think that the whole Bioshock series is a bit overrated, but at least I liked the effort put onto the game to create an FPS where there is LIGHT (feels so much different from dark themed FPS). I obtained the game thanks to the AMD never settle reloaded bundle and played it mainly by the girl... and yet even at that the ending dissapointed.