How accurate is Windows Experience Index

My SSD in my desktop is getting the same Windows Experience Index score as the HDD in my laptop. Is this an issue with the way Windows is calculating the result or what? :(

Forget WEI - lol loads of people get worried about its results

I get a different score for the same hardware each install

Use a real HDD benchmark test

My SSD in my desktop is getting the same Windows Experience Index score as the HDD in my laptop. Is this an issue with the way Windows is calculating the result or what? :(

What SSD are you using? Also are you comparing the WEI scores on the same operating system? The methods used for calculating the scores in Windows 7 are harsher for HDDs than on Vista.

Getting around a bit tonight Phenom...did I not just see you in general? :p Any recommendations on benchmark app?

Haha I am everywhere

I have never benchmarked an SSD but just from a quick google search I came across this

http://forums.legitreviews.com/about21729.html

Im sure you will be getting much better results in real life tests

I use CrystalDiskMark. Free and does the job (Y)

Yea I used that, really good program - it told me my HDD was knackered just before it ate all my data :laugh:

Gave me just enough time to get the important things off before the innevitable

What SSD are you using? Also are you comparing the WEI scores on the same operating system? The methods used for calculating the scores in Windows 7 are harsher for HDDs than on Vista.

It's an early OCZ 60GB, don't remember the name. And both running 7, Pro on laptop Ultimate on desktop.

Haha I am everywhere

I have never benchmarked an SSD but just from a quick google search I came across this

http://forums.legitr...about21729.html

Im sure you will be getting much better results in real life tests

Thank you, will check it oot.

I use CrystalDiskMark. Free and does the job (Y)

Will also check it out. You may also like to know i've decided not to sleep before my 4AM start. Hardly worth it now!

It's an early OCZ 60GB, don't remember the name. And both running 7, Pro on laptop Ultimate on desktop.

Thank you, will check it oot.

Here's my Intel 80GB G2 for comparison:

post-91323-12818324496036.jpg

You may also like to know i've decided not to sleep before my 4AM start. Hardly worth it now!

:laugh: Don't blame you. Get a pot of coffee on!

Yea I used that, really good program - it told me my HDD was knackered just before it ate all my data :laugh:

Gave me just enough time to get the important things off before the innevitable

CrystalDiskInfo probably told you that, the other one just does benchmarks.

The benchmarks might imply an impending HDD death if they're really low / all over the place, but yes I think you're right.

Yea thats the one - thanks

Here is the result from my main HDD (See sig for specs) Not SSD

Something to bench against

capturevnc.jpg

• 6 months later...

I went from a WD HDD Black (score 4.9) to SSD OCZ Vertex 2 (score 7.7) because I set the SATA controller from IDE to AHCI (I had bsod at first but found out a way to fix this). SSD on IDE was 7.1 then on AHCI it went up to 7.7 and must say it is faster on loading apps.

It seems like the only metric that really matters (for normal human-being users as opposed to benchmark) is the random read/write performance on small files.

Sequential read/write from a good quality SSD isn't any better than a 2-disk RAID-0 set of dirt cheap drives 5400 RPM drives. To that end I think it makes sense to consider the application of the drive: for an application or boot drive or for a database an SSD makes a lot of sense. As a place to handle video editing (where you'll be streaming huge chunks of video to/from disk) it's hard to beat rotating media. Price per gigabyte is and order of magnitude lower for a similar level of performance.

Where you really see a huge jump in performance is in small random read/write where an SSD appears to be 20-100x faster than a hard drive.

For what it's worth, I get 7.9 on that Windows experience index with or without my normal hard drives plugged in - it seems that so long as you have a minimum amount free (say 50gb) on your primary drive it won't care how much storage you have on other drives.

Here's what mine give: left side is my SSD set, Right side is my HDD set. Random read/write is just ridiculously fast when compared to traditional hard drives - sequential read/write is better, but you'd expect that when it costs 2000% more per gigabyte.

I use SSD only for Windows and Big Apps, my HDD took too long to finished to loading compared to SSD which is almost instant. $280 for 128MB wasn't too much for me. I'm happy with the purchase I must say

Hello,

Just to check, do you have the latest firmware for your SSD installed?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky