Top Android apps you can't live without [2010]

In 2008, Neowin did a "Top [iPhone, Firefox add-ons, and Windows Mobile] apps you can't live without", but we never did an Android app one!

So here is your chance to speak up Neowin, we are looking for your top applications that you can't live without. So post your top applications in ranking order, and tell us why you can't live without your #1.

Well, since iPhone and iOS has a topic for top apps of 2010, why can't us Android users also have one?

I will list my favorite 10:

1. Advanced Task Killer Free - kill processes easily

2. Battery Widget - check your battery level in percentage

3. chompSMS - best SMS app ive used (beats the default app)

4. Dolphin Browser HD - I find it better than Opera Mini

5. MSN Talk - we all need MSN

6. MultiCon2 - much more room for icons

7. RealCalc - need a scientific calculator

8. Stats - check texts and talk time

9. Uninstaller - remove apps easily

10. Where's my Droid? - never lose your phone again

(11. WiFinder - easily find WiFi)

I am quite new to Android, I have only had my HTC Desire for 2 weeks now but so far my one application that I can't live without is:

gReader - Unofficial Google Reader RSS Application. It's almost perfect, but there are some features that I need. (example, the share button, only produces a link, and not an article title) It's #1 because I need my news every day.

Barcode Scanner - I was going to put the Official Twitter Application as number too but thought I actually use this application more often. Now the scanner of course let's you scan those weird square code boxes, and download new applications, or give you information. This is just cool, and useful. I use it to install all the other applications I enjoy using each day.

MultiCon2 - Just makes sense.

BatteryLife is better than "Battery Widget". Give it a shot.

It always confuses me as to why people use chompSMS/Handcent and Dolphin/Opera. What do they do that the default apps don't do easily?

BatteryLife is better than "Battery Widget". Give it a shot.

It always confuses me as to why people use chompSMS/Handcent and Dolphin/Opera. What do they do that the default apps don't do easily?

I actually use BatteryLife as well, but I like Battery Widget because it shows the % level on the icon itself.

chompSMS gives you the option to reply right away from the home screen, you do not have to go into messages to reply. Its just a step less, and could save time if your having a conversation with someone with back to back texts every few mins.

Since there are so many different variations of Android OS, wouldn't it be best to place which version you are using as well? Some applications do not appear in ALL app stores.

Really hard to put them in ranking order, so in no particular order:-

• LauncherPro - A fantastic home screen and HTC sense replacement. Highly customizable, and with a developer that is constantly updating it.
  • SMS Backup+ ? A fantastic little app that will back up your texts to you Google account. Features the ability to restore the texts at a later date as well. Can be automated.
  • Floating Image ? A very rough around the edges app. Has a lot of potential, currently my favourite way to show off Android capabilities and my pictures/photos.
  • Facebook for Android ? A lot of people seem to hate this app, no idea why. Because it is fantastic, never had any problem with it now. And Facebook are constantly working on it to improve it.
  • Timeriffic ? Manage your phone by creating a set of rules by time. Great for people who have a strict routine. I have mine to turn off WiFi off at 08:15am, and then to turn back on at 18:00pm. Also, set it to go into silent/vibrate mode automatically between the hours of 09:00am and 18:00pm for work purposes.
  • Apps Organizer ? Great for drilling down and put your favourite apps into one place. I personally have a ?Tools? and ?Games? label.
  • NYTimes ? A honourable mention for one of the best built/developed apps I have used. I love my news, but this is easily one of my favourite and most used apps. Alongside the Engadget app.

That is just a snapshot of my favourite apps. I have over 100 apps install on my HTC Desire. Feel free to check out the entire list here.

AppBrain - Allows you to search apps on your computer and sync them with your phone, through this you can browse apps on a computer to install them later, or easily share your app list by giving out the URL to a public list of whats installed on your phone (the list can be made private as well). This also somewhat replaces the Android Market app by scanning for and downloading/installing any updates when you tell it to.

DropBox - Just started using it myself, but it allows you to instantly sync files between your phone and computer. Super easy file-sharing between the two when you are unable to use the USB cable.

LauncherPro - Home screen replacement. Replaces the default home screen with a much better one in too many ways to list, probably not as good if you are using SenseUI, but MUCH better then any other UI I have seen.

Swype - Makes text input on a virtual screen a breeze. You simply slide your finger over each letter to the word you want to type and it fills it in for you instead of having to push each and every letter.

Majesticmerc's Top 5:

1. LauncherPro. A launcher similar to HTC sense (for those familiar with Sense). Admittedly the only Android app that I've ever paid for, and in my opinion, HTC Sense doesn't hold a candle to it as launcher. When I rooted and installed a new ROM for my Desire, I decided to ditch Sense, and ended up with LauncherPro. Haven't looked back. I can't live without it because it just makes using my phone so much easier. Its one of those apps that, when you use it, makes you think: "Why the hell isn't all of this in Android to begin with". For $2.99 for the pro version, its a bargain.
  2. Spotify. My music lifeline now, since I've become a premium subscriber to the service.
  3. Google Maps. More Specifically, the navigation side of it that Google launched recently. It works as a decent Satnav, and has saved me the money for having to buy a proper satnav.
  4. Scrambled Net. One of only two games on my phone, and a completely addictive game at that. Sort of like a pipe-connection game (where you rotate tiles on a grid in order to link all the pipes together), but infuriatingly addictive. I've been told off a few times for playing it in bed for nearly an hour.
  5. RealCalc. Great free calculator app that simulates the look of a scientific calculator, and does so very well. Very handy tool for me at work when I need it.

Honourable Mention: Titres

A Tetris clone that preceded Scrambled Net as my "totally addictive android game". Again a free game, it was for me better than the real Tetris. Unfortunately its no longer available since "The Tetris Company" got their panties in a twist and issued Google with a DMCA takedown to remove all Tetris clones. For that same reason, I can't find a copy of it anywhere anymore since I wiped my phone to install the new ROM, which is lame :cry:.

I actually use BatteryLife as well, but I like Battery Widget because it shows the % level on the icon itself.

chompSMS gives you the option to reply right away from the home screen, you do not have to go into messages to reply. Its just a step less, and could save time if your having a conversation with someone with back to back texts every few mins.

? What do you mean? BatteryLife shows the percentage with the icon itself as well.

SMS Popup, which has a much larger audience, has been doing the behavior you describe from the start, and has always been 100% free. As I'm aware, doesn't ChompSMS have a lite version and pro version?

My top ones for Froyo

1. Astrid

2. Boxee Remote

3. LogMeIn

4. WifiTether (rooted CM6)

5. Twitter

6. Pandora Radio

7. DoubleTwist (Really use this because of my mac mainly)

8. Astro

9. Rom Manager

10. Robo Defense

* Launcher Pro

Honourable Mention: Titres

A Tetris clone that preceded Scrambled Net as my "totally addictive android game". Again a free game, it was for me better than the real Tetris. Unfortunately its no longer available since "The Tetris Company" got their panties in a twist and issued Google with a DMCA takedown to remove all Tetris clones. For that reason, I can't find a copy of it anywhere anymore since I wiped my phone to install the new ROM, which is lame :cry:

Try this instead mate.

Edit* And if you want the titres.apk shoot me a PM mate ;)

My top 10, in reverse order for added suspense...

10. Handcent SMS [Free w/ ads] - Great alternative SMS app. Threaded "bubble" conversations, pop-up notifications, clean interface, lots of options.

9. AdFree [Free] - Blocks ads. If you want revenue from your app, don't stuff it full of ads - sell it, I'll buy it.

8. Barcode Scanner [Free] - Scan QR codes and barcodes. What can I say, it works well.

7. EStrongs File Explorer [Free] - It's a file manager, and it does what it needs to do well :p

6. TweetDeck Beta [Free] - Still in Beta, but quickly becoming hte best Twitter and Social Networking app available for Android.

5. Astrid Tasks [Free] - Very simple task manager with a clean interface. Recent updates have been buggy, but the devs are listening to feedback.

4. Opera Mini [Free] - Nice mobile browser to use side-by-side with the stock browser. Very fast at loading pages when on a slow network.

3. Transdroid [Free] - Remotely manage your torrents, even start new ones. It requires a bit of configuration, but well worth it. It's flawless.

2. WaveSecure [$19.90/yr] - Track down your lost/stolen phone, remotely wipe/lock it and backup/restore all of your contacts, SMS, call logs, etc from their online interface.

1. LauncherPro [Free] - Simply the best launcher there is, bar none. Very fluid interface, very well thought out, and the dev is very active. If you like it, get the Plus version for $2.99.

nice lists, downloaded a couple apps i didn't know about.. will throw out some apps i haven't seen mentioned yet

ADW.Launcher - Home screen replacement

K-9 Mail - Mail replacement

Beautiful Widgets - Time/Weather/Various random widgets

aTilt 3D Labyrinth

FxCamera

Coloroid

Handcent SMS - sms replacement

Mini Info - Widget to show battery info and internal/sd free space

Battle.Net Authenticator

nice lists, downloaded a couple apps i didn't know about.. will throw out some apps i haven't seen mentioned yet

ADW.Launcher - Home screen replacement

K-9 Mail - Mail replacement

Beautiful Widgets - Time/Weather/Various random widgets

aTilt 3D Labyrinth

FxCamera

Coloroid

Handcent SMS - sms replacement

Mini Info - Widget to show battery info and internal/sd free space

Battle.Net Authenticator

I tried Handcent, but I like chompSMS better. I also like FxCamera, really cool app!

Advanced task killer

Note: Only use ATK for apps that are misbehaving. If you have crappy battery life that ATK fixes, do some testing to find out what app is killing your battery and remove it instead of masking it with ATK.

To add to my earlier list, K-9 Mail and Handcent are both great apps to replace the defaults (they both are more feature-filled and what not).

Heres a list of my favorite android programs. most if not all have a free version. sorry I didn't have time to make links! use your voice actions on your device!

gmail - self-explainatory, good mail replacement should you use gmail.

gStrings - guitar tuner. its free. its accurate. an equivalent iPhone version was $10!

AndFTP - FTP client. FTP stuff to your phone overnight while you sleep from your FTP server

Astro - good file manager with SMB support.

RockPlayer - Watch what you FTP over to your phone during work. supports avi,mkv on my desire no problems.

wardrive - plot those open wifi hotspots on google maps :)

titanium backup - great for flipping between roms and keeping your data, pro verison needed to do restores automatically.

Linphone - simple SIP phone that you can choose to make your outgoing call over 3G/WiFi when placing the call - or launch for direct dialing. This is a free app but you need to subscribe to a sip service like voip.ms, callcentric, etc.

DroidStats - keep track of your usage to see if your provider is jipping you.

Ringdroid - turn your MP3s into ringtones, very easily. Its like goldwave on your droid

Word drop - fun game to waste hours, its like connect 4 meets scrabble.

default android apps most people don't know about:

torch - should use your cameras LED as a flashlight should your phone have such an option

Wifi hotspot - turn your phone into a router, if your hardware supports it

default android apps most people don't know about:

torch - should use your cameras LED as a flashlight should your phone have such an option

Isnt torch only in 2.2?