iPhone 4 experiences

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#16 +Odom

Odom

Neowinian Senior

• 1,544 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 20:57

We have T-Mobile here as the exclusive provider for the iPhone 4.

Not sure exactly what you mean by this.
If you meant that T-Mobile has the exclusivity of selling the iPhone, then you are correct. Or at least used to be. I remember walking by a Vodafone shop just two days ago and they had iPhones selling in their display. Didn't pay too much attention, but they seemed to be the previous version, not the iPhone 4. So I don't know if something changed there. Maybe the exclusivity deal was updated to now only include the new Iphone 4, not the older version.

If you meant that T-Mobile are the only ones you can run an iPhone 4 on, that is not correct. Vodafone, E-Plus, and many others are all announcing for many weeks that "Have an iPhone? You can use it on our network!". I guess they realised that many people buy them unlocked in other countries and, though they don't sell the device themselves, at least they advertise you can use the iPhone just fine on their networks too.

Update: I checked some of their sites. Base, for example, advertise you can buy the iPhone there as well and get a tarif. However, when you do click on the link to buy, the have a partner site that sells the phone, so it is not coming from them directly (myistore.de). By the way, that site only sells the iPhone, starting at 1.079€!! But that is still OK. You get a contract with T-Mobile here, you sign your life away for at least 24 months. Do the math, and you'll be paying at least 1.500€ for the phone. So, might as well buy it unlocked, it will still be cheaper.

#17 +JMann

JMann

NeoRequest.net

• 5,128 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 21:21

Hopefully getting my iPhone 4 tomorrow, like you I am upgrading from my iPhone 3G which is now pretty much redundant considering so many things don't work on it since the release of iOS4.
Nice to see a Neowin member review. (Y)

#18 OP instant.human

instant.human

resident loser

• 3,366 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 21:26

Not sure exactly what you mean by this.
If you meant that T-Mobile has the exclusivity of selling the iPhone, then you are correct. Or at least used to be. I remember walking by a Vodafone shop just two days ago and they had iPhones selling in their display. Didn't pay too much attention, but they seemed to be the previous version, not the iPhone 4. So I don't know if something changed there. Maybe the exclusivity deal was updated to now only include the new Iphone 4, not the older version.

If you meant that T-Mobile are the only ones you can run an iPhone 4 on, that is not correct. Vodafone, E-Plus, and many others are all announcing for many weeks that "Have an iPhone? You can use it on our network!". I guess they realised that many people buy them unlocked in other countries and, though they don't sell the device themselves, at least they advertise you can use the iPhone just fine on their networks too.

Update: I checked some of their sites. Base, for example, advertise you can buy the iPhone there as well and get a tarif. However, when you do click on the link to buy, the have a partner site that sells the phone, so it is not coming from them directly (myistore.de). By the way, that site only sells the iPhone, starting at 1.079€!! But that is still OK. You get a contract with T-Mobile here, you sign your life away for at least 24 months. Do the math, and you'll be paying at least 1.500€ for the phone. So, might as well buy it unlocked, it will still be cheaper.

I said iPhone 4 for a reason. ;) You can get the iPhone 3GS on Vodafone and Base but not the iPhone 4.
You can get an iPhone 4 at The Phone house but thats running off contract and is unlocked.

So if my head still works, T-Mobile is indeed the exclusive provider for the iPhone 4 in Germany.

Of course I do know that T-Mobile is not the only network the iPhone 4 can operate in, you can always jailbreak and then unlock, granted you still have 4.0.1 installed but then again, they are the exclusive provider to sell the iPhone 4 since it's the only official place to buy an iPhone 4 (locked down, though) with a contract.

As I said, the 3GS is offered by some of the other providers aswell. ;)

This has nothing to do with the iphone per say. It has everything to do with being unbiased when there are no unbiased comments. (at least none that were of any use to anyone). It's one thing to write an opinion piece on something you love or something that you find to be exceptional. It's another to "pretend" you are going to be unbiased and totally go in the opposite direction.
"I'm going to be totally unbiased about Hooters bar/restaraunt". It's got women serving you food in tight clothing. It has great food. the atmosphere is excellent. I'm not real fond of the carpeting tho......But I'm being totally unbiased.

I think that depends on how you define the word "biased". To me, in this case, it means that I will go ahead and try to be as less prejudiced as possible, to try to give the most objective view on the object that I bought (for a reason, of course) but still try to find things that bug me and give an honest opinion on the device that I consider best, I bought it, after all, but still has flaws.

Like I said: It's a great phone but it's not perfect.

Your definition of "biased" seems to be that I should have no preference at all. Which is not possible. Sure thing, you are right on this one. But as I said before, I was trying to give the most honest and objective view on a product that I bought. I think I said that in the original post aswell.

#19 Binary

Binary

Proud to be Canadian

• 2,404 posts
  • OS: OS X 10.9 & Windows 8 (iMac 2012). Mobile: iOS7 (iPhone 5S & iPad Mini Retina), Android 4.2 & WebOS (TouchPad).

Posted 24 August 2010 - 21:41

In Canada, on Rogers, none of the people I know with an iPhone 4 have any antenna issues (I don't know anyone with an iPhone 4 on Bell, but they run on the same towers as Rogers I believe).

I can death grip till I'm blue in the face, and mine *might* drop 1 bar, only to go back to full bars 2 seconds later.

Face it guys, AT&T sucks, or the US is using weaker frequencies.

I got my free bumper anyways, just because it's free, and I always put a case on my iPhones.

#20 sn00pie

sn00pie

Neowinian Senior

• 6,202 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 22:08

Yup...the antenna issues are nonexistent in Canada.

#21 rajputwarrior

rajputwarrior

olé olé olé olé

• 12,924 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 00:08

Yup...the antenna issues are nonexistent in Canada.

never had the problem with my rogers iphone 4.

#22 StandingInAlley

StandingInAlley

Neowinian Senior

• 1,707 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 29 August 2010 - 14:39

Liked your review :)

#23 The Guru Network

The Guru Network

The Hockey Guru

• 955 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 29 August 2010 - 14:57

I liked the review. It seemed like you really wanted to get out that the iPhone 4 wasn't as bad as people are making it out to be but that's cool. I'm sure it's not. They're working on any issues it has and they'll eventually be solved. There wasn't much info other than it works great in Europe and sh|tty in the US, later stated in comments that it's good in Canada too. I appreciate the review and it definitely helps me with making my decsion whether to go with that, Android or WP7. I definitely will be waiting until WP7 is out before making my decision though so I have plenty of time. Good review though.

#24 blah123

blah123

Neowinian

• 2 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 15:31

but you didn't write about why you opted iphone over android, as you have used both devices/os'es it would be interesting to see each pros and cons..

#25 Manish

Manish

Neowinian Senior

• 1,534 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 15:52

I can get the bars to drop. When I hold it tightly with my left hand and really try to, the bars drop. But only by 1 or 2.

My exact experience with the iPhone 4 too (on O2 UK). Although I do seem to suffer from the proximity sensor issue from time-to-time.

I also agree with what was said about customisation. With the iPhone 3GS, I decided to jailbreak and I did the whole "customising thing", but I got bored of it very quickly. Thus, I wanted a device that would work out-of-the-box where I needed to change only a few things to personalise it. Another annoying point about having a jailbroken iPhone is waiting for/relying on the JB community to release an update after Apple has released an official version update. Somewhat analogous to the situation of many Android devices; waiting for the phone manufacture to update the software when Google already has a new version out (I am aware of workarounds).

Overall, I love my iPhone 4.

#26 spike232

spike232

Hedgehog

• 633 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 16:06

I am a UK iPhone 4 user on O2, i have not had any droped calls and little degridation from holding it wrong.

I was recently in Germany and found the issue was much more prevelent, it was roaming on the O2-DE network.

So it suggests the carrier may make alot of difference on this issue.

#27 OP instant.human

instant.human

resident loser

• 3,366 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 16:18

but you didn't write about why you opted iphone over android, as you have used both devices/os'es it would be interesting to see each pros and cons..

I chose iPhone over Android because I preferred the iPhone way of handling things, you know?

For instance... I had my droid and was happy with it. But then I wanted to put some music on it, I have a massive library and my very own way of organizing it via iTunes, because I had iPods from day one. So for each artist, I have a special playlist with all the Albums, EPs or Singles of that single artist.

I was looking for a way to sync my iTunes playlists with DoubleTwist and it worked, kinda, the thing was just that, when I was using it, it gave you a little list of all your imported playlists but they were in no apparent order. As I said, I have a massive library with way over 200 playlists for artists and it was a pain in the ass to scroll through that entire list, reading every single line to find the playlist I was looking for.

I found myself not listening to much music in the end because every time I bought a new album on iTunes/imported something from CD and put it in the corresponding playlist, I had to reimport everything to DoubleTwist, then look for the artists playlist in that no-order-list...

One might say that that is a non-issue but for someone like me, who enjoys organized music libraries and listens to alot of music, it really was a big downside.

Sure, I could have changed my habits and should have not expected Android to act like an iPod and coud have abandoned iTunes but as I said, I was depending on it since it took me a hell lot of time to organize everything...

Another thing that bugged me about Android was, that the apps you could download were in no way as polished and good looking as iOS-apps. That might also be something one could consider as something very minor as long as it gets the job done. But due to what I earn my money with I need a capable Facebook client, for example. But every time I wanted to reply to a message on Facebook I was kicked out of the app to the touch.facebook.com-webpage...

With all the talk about MetroUI and WP7 and it's approach to merge everything the phone does into one... thing and get away from the "press the xxx-icon and the phone becomes a mail/photo/twitter/whatever-thing and nothing more and nothing connected, I must say that with the speed the iPhone 4 brings, I prefare that concept.
I have yet to see WP7 in person and I am very excited and looking forward to that but until then, I want to press the Facebook-App icon and have a full fledged Facebook client on my phone, that does everything Facebook-related and don't like to get kicked out.

Plus, at the time I was using the droid, which was just around the release of 2.1, iirc, the Camera app was a piece of crap... It was slow and unresponsive and I know an update fixed that but yeah...

Oh and that was another thing, in order to update my Droid back then, I had to use my wifes Windows-PC because there were some bugs that really bugged me (haha.......) and the OTA-rollout for Germany was like 2 months after the USB-update was available... not acceptable for me...

Overall my Android experience was pleasing, if not sometimes eye-opening but the iPhone way, the ease of using iTunes, which I really love on my Mac, to synchronize everything... It's just simpler, easier and more seamless, IMHO.

As I said, for many those are no important points, but I said in my review that it all comes down to how you feel using the phone. And "using" for me is not only the phone itself but everything around.

If time brings something like iTunes (and please, native on a Mac), I might even consider going back, one day. But until then, I won't drop my iPhone ever again.

#28 leojei

leojei

Neowinian

• 230 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 16:21

seriously? You try to be subjective? unbiased? and yet you claim to be an Apple user and had nothing bad to say about the device? Yes, you did want to start a flame war.You knew before writing anything that it would happen. You can't be unbiased and subjective if you find no flaws in a flawed device.

and yet you don't seem to feel the need to portray those imperfections? Yea. Pretty unbiased.

Why not focusing on the review iteself and leave the fact of starting a flame war aside.

I dont own an iPhone but I could totally imagine his experience with his from this review alone. This review is THAT in-depth in expressing the pros and cons of his iPhone to himself.

His experience is the subject of this review, and of course it's meant to be biased. So if you want to bash him for being biased, please don't read any other reviews from now on, as it would only upset you everytime you do.

#29 StaticL

StaticL

Neowinian

• 66 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 16:28

Loved this review, there seems to be a lot of love/hate (mostly hate) for the iPhone 4 here. Had the device for a little over a month now and hadn't had one problem with dropped calls and I tried to grip it all sorts of ways and I'm in Texas which can be spoty lol. The sensor while talking is quite literally my own gripe about the device so I can't wait for 4.1 update to come out. I started using the headphone for longer conversations which i prefer anyways because I usually work while I chat.

Source

#30 j0nnymoe

j0nnymoe

Neowinian

• 193 posts
  • Phone: Samsung S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 29 August 2010 - 16:33

thanks for the review, thought i am still stuck with what mobile to get next week as orange are letting me upgrade early. Im stuck between the iPhone4 / Samsung Galaxy S / HTC Desire and no idea what to go for. Currently If Orange offer me a free iphone4, I will get that. If not, Im going driod.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!