Does Apple TV support streaming 720p MKV movies?

I'm guessing only formats that iTunes officially supports. Short of some on-the-fly transcoding, no, it won't support MKV files.

Had a feeling. Oh well.

P.S. I am also Elliot.

if you want that, buy this

Patriot_BoxOffice_3.jpg

Key Features and Specifications:

Supports Full HD-video playback up to 1080p

Supports Dolby® Digital and DTS™ surround sound

Expandable internal storage via 2.5” SATA SSD/HDD

Supports video playback via UPnP network streaming

Browse for shared videos, photos and music from networks and USB

Flash Drives and USB external storage

Supports file transfer between HDD, USB, Network PC and NAS

Built in P2P file download management

File formats supported

Audio Decoding - WMA, MP3, Real Audio (RA)

Image Decoding - JPEG, BMP, PNG

Video Decoding - *[MPEG-1] MPG/MPEG/DAT

*[MPEG-2] MPG/MPEG/VOB/ISO /IFO/TS/TP/M2TS

*[MPEG-4] MP4/AVI/MOV

*[H.264/AVC] MKV/TS/AVI/MOV/M2TS

*[DviX 3/4/5/6, Xvid] AVI/MKV

*[WMV9] WMV

*[FLV] FLV

[Real Video 8/9/10] RM/RMVB support up to 720p

Subtitle - SRT, MicroDVD SUB, SSA, SUB/IDX

*Support up to 1080p

Aluminum casing and metal shielding, and built-in quiet Cooling FAN.

Support Dolby Digital AC3?DTS Decoding & HDMI RAW/SPDIF RAW output to Amplifier to decode 5.1/7.1 audio channels

Support Multi Language OSD & Select the encoding for subtitle file, file name and folder name display from Unicode (UTF8), Simplified Chinese, and Traditional Chinese or others

Firmware upgradeable

Power Adapter, 100-240 VAC(47Hz~63Hz), 12V/2A output

Dimension: 143mm(L)* 146mm(W)* 39mm(H)

OS support: Windows ME/ 2000/ XP/ VISTA/ 7/ MAC OS9.0 and Above, Linux with Kernel 2.4.1.0 or above

I'm in the UK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Patriot-Office-Multimedia-Player-support/dp/B002Q4U9PY

I have a PS3 with PS3 Media Servers does everything that you could want it to do ill never change ;)

you have to be the only person in the world who can stream 720p/1080p content to the ps3 without issue and be able to fast foward/rewind without it bugging out because for the life of me i could never get it it to work, wired or wireless.

I have a PS3 with PS3 Media Servers does everything that you could want it to do ill never change ;)

Hardly cheap, and I have big problems with fast forward/rewind when using MKVs with the PS3.

you have to be the only person in the world who can stream 720p/1080p content to the ps3 without issue and be able to fast foward/rewind without it bugging out because for the life of me i could never get it it to work, wired or wireless.

Yeh, ditto.

I want to be able to stream music and ripped DVDs (I would also like scene selection, extras, subtitles and the like) reliably with a usable interface. As far as I can tell, neither the PS3, new Apple TV, nor anything else for that matter, can do this. Boo :(

I want to be able to stream music and ripped DVDs (I would also like scene selection, extras, subtitles and the like) reliably with a usable interface. As far as I can tell, neither the PS3, new Apple TV, nor anything else for that matter, can do this. Boo :(

Looked at WD TV Live?

if you want that, buy this

Patriot_BoxOffice_3.jpg

Key Features and Specifications:

Supports Full HD-video playback up to 1080p

Supports Dolby? Digital and DTS? surround sound

Expandable internal storage via 2.5? SATA SSD/HDD

Supports video playback via UPnP network streaming

Browse for shared videos, photos and music from networks and USB

Flash Drives and USB external storage

Supports file transfer between HDD, USB, Network PC and NAS

Built in P2P file download management

File formats supported

Audio Decoding - WMA, MP3, Real Audio (RA)

Image Decoding - JPEG, BMP, PNG

Video Decoding - *[MPEG-1] MPG/MPEG/DAT

*[MPEG-2] MPG/MPEG/VOB/ISO /IFO/TS/TP/M2TS

*[MPEG-4] MP4/AVI/MOV

*[H.264/AVC] MKV/TS/AVI/MOV/M2TS

*[DviX 3/4/5/6, Xvid] AVI/MKV

*[WMV9] WMV

*[FLV] FLV

[Real Video 8/9/10] RM/RMVB support up to 720p

Subtitle - SRT, MicroDVD SUB, SSA, SUB/IDX

*Support up to 1080p

Aluminum casing and metal shielding, and built-in quiet Cooling FAN.

Support Dolby Digital AC3?DTS Decoding & HDMI RAW/SPDIF RAW output to Amplifier to decode 5.1/7.1 audio channels

Support Multi Language OSD & Select the encoding for subtitle file, file name and folder name display from Unicode (UTF8), Simplified Chinese, and Traditional Chinese or others

Firmware upgradeable

Power Adapter, 100-240 VAC(47Hz~63Hz), 12V/2A output

Dimension: 143mm(L)* 146mm(W)* 39mm(H)

OS support: Windows ME/ 2000/ XP/ VISTA/ 7/ MAC OS9.0 and Above, Linux with Kernel 2.4.1.0 or above

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Just a point, most of the time you don't need to re-encode or anything for support..

Apple doesn't support MKV, but if you demux it to it's audio & video streams [ basically remove the container, and split it into a h264 files, and a ac3/dts/aac audio file ] then remux into MP4 it'll work. Depending on the Audio requirements you may need to convert the audio..

That being said..

WD TV, it is great.. I got one for my parents, simple, and easy to use.. no converting..

Oh and also.. You don't need Wireless N to stream 720p.. 1080p yes, you generally need it, but 720p will 99.99% of the time work on G.. unless you have poor signal, or the person who encoded it was an idiot and used an insane bitrate.

• 1 month later...