• Sony -- LED
    • Acer --- LCD
    • Acer --- LED
    • JVC --- LCD
    • Other (name)
  2. 2. LCD or LED?

• LCD
    • LED

deadhorse.gifWhat would the best TV for this room be? Should be at lest 43+ inches (less than 50 though).

What to consider:

• Most likely going to be used for gaming (Wii, PS3, possibly Xbox 360 (if Kinect gets a good tennis game)
  • Because it'd have a PS3 connected, it'd may see some DVD (netflixs or otherwise)/blue ray use.
  • Possible Netflix (PS3, Wii, or the TV it self)
  • Most likely going under a fireplace mantel, IN FRONT of a fireplace. Though the fireplace doesn't get used that much
  • My personal preference would be a LED & a Sony. As a LED is lighter and thinner than a LCD, and if we have to use the fireplace we can just move the TV onto the carpet (might be on a stand). And I say Sony because I guess I'm just tiered of seeing the same or similar user interface for Samsungs, LG, etc. icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif
  • We're thinking a 46 inch.
  • The PS3 might be hooked by HDMI cable along with RCA (possibly).
  • The Wii WOULD use RCA . . .
  • NOT a 3d (ready) TV. :wacko::wacko::wacko:
  • Not to put down Plasma, but I am fine with a little lag, and also not the BEST picture possible.

Could anyone tell me (with a internet enabled TV) how netflix works? Similar to how the discs work for Wii & PS3?

LCD = LED

LED means an LCD with a LED (Light Emitting Diode) matrix backlight as opposed to a fluorescent bulbs backlight in the case of "classical" LCD's.

It isn't a new display technology, it is just a new (better and more efficient) backlight, so the answer would be LED LCD, because it has better backlight, and it is much better in energy efficiency.

LCD = LED
That isn't strictly true IMO.

When you see an "LED TV" it will be a LED backlight LCD, not a "true" LED display. In fact, I don't think I have ever seen a true LED displayed designed for home use.

The first thing I would advise you to do is set a budget. Without a budget you aren't going to do anything.

Totally depends on the TV. Some LCD tv's will blow away most LED's, but if you pay enough, you can get a LED that will blow away most LCD's. But really, they are sort of the same, and all will come down to preference.

Probably shouldn't be more than 1500 I'd think. Though it's not me personally that's gong to buy it, all of those that life in this house may. I'd probably be the most frequent user though. Last TV in this room was a 1080, but it'd got any "HD" use, as such were fine with 720.

Samsung LED with precision dimming (Y)

i'd partially agree with that. Unless your getting an led with local dimming...your getting ripped. edge-lit is so stupid. So i guess local dimming or lcd. Because honestly there are alot of lcds out there which are better than the leds.

I have the 46 inch Sony NX700 - real nice TV - lots of internet apps built in (as well as wireless N). Its a good TV - def not Sonys best but I got it for practically nothing ($160) so for a bedroom TV I am more than happy with it. It def seems brighter than my Samsung LN52A650 (non-led) TV - picture quality is still a bit better on the Sammy.

I have the 46 inch Sony NX700 - real nice TV - lots of internet apps built in (as well as wireless N). Its a good TV - def not Sonys best but I got it for practically nothing ($160) so for a bedroom TV I am more than happy with it. It def seems brighter than my Samsung LN52A650 (non-led) TV - picture quality is still a bit better on the Sammy.

Not counting their 710 the 700 is their second best series.

it's an awesome tv though, and I'd highly reccomend it over any samsung.

though I'd say go Panasonic plasma. better image quality across the board, and cheaper.

Not counting their 710 the 700 is their second best series.

it's an awesome tv though, and I'd highly reccomend it over any samsung.

though I'd say go Panasonic plasma. better image quality across the board, and cheaper.

I thought the # didnt matter - I thought i had to do with the letter series ? I dont know much about Sony TV's

N/A To all, Panasonic Plasma all the way. Fairly good value for money, great build quality and fantastic picture, the black levels on the new models are better than any LCD-LED out there at the moment, thus giving you a better picture

BTW "LED" TVs are actually LCD TVs with a different backlight

If you have to go for an LCD though the Sony NX series series are very good

sony bravia sync is a feature that you want if you have ps3.

it lets you use your tv remote as a bluray remote so you dont have to buy a remote.

also if you switch on ps3 the tv will switch on.

If price is no bar, by all means go with LED-backlit TV, preferably the dynamic RGB LEDs that use local dimming.

Why would you want to plug your PS3 in with RCA, especially if you already have it plugged with HDMI?

Also, the Wii can be plugged in using Component cables (get em from gamestop or something). It looks much better in 480p component than it does in 480i with RCA cables.

A rule of thumb with HDTVs is to never use RCA cables unless you have no other choice. RCA/Composite looks EXTREMELY bad on non-CRT screens.

I thought the # didnt matter - I thought i had to do with the letter series ? I dont know much about Sony TV's

Both actually, bu the NX is the good LED stuff, and the 700 is the second best (710 nothwinstanding since it's just a 3D capable 700)

Both actually, bu the NX is the good LED stuff, and the 700 is the second best (710 nothwinstanding since it's just a 3D capable 700)

ahh..ok.. thanks. makes me feel even better about my choice on the nx700 - really love the built in wireless (as I dont have any external player hooked up to it)

If money matters you probably can find last years models of the samsung edge lit tv's . Dont let the people here talk you out of it. I have a samsung 6000 led tv and its a great set.

If you factor in power use a regular lit lcd panel would equal the price of the led lit tv.

so if money matters try to find samsungs models from last year in regards to led lighting.

IF money is no object then samsungs top of the line led tvs are rgb backlit with local dimming. They would include 3d BUT you can turn it off and not use it.

If money matters you probably can find last years models of the samsung edge lit tv's . Dont let the people here talk you out of it. I have a samsung 6000 led tv and its a great set.

If you factor in power use a regular lit lcd panel would equal the price of the led lit tv.

so if money matters try to find samsungs models from last year in regards to led lighting.

IF money is no object then samsungs top of the line led tvs are rgb backlit with local dimming. They would include 3d BUT you can turn it off and not use it.

Samsung is probably your best bet for cheap( not in quality but cheaper in price) than other sets and the best image. I have last years LN55C630 model, which is LCD, and it still blows most sets that are coming out , way out of the water. You can't go wrong with Samsung and on of this years models, or even last years.

I think 1500 (probably 1200) should be the limit. Also it's not me personally getting the TV, were just replacing a TV. Knowing us we'll probably wait to get a LED, because of price. The only apps I could see us using would be: Netflix, youtube, & weather.

What model TV's from Samsung or Sony since those have gotten the most votes? Again knowing us, we'd probably get a LCD and not a LED.

For your price range, check out the one I got if you can find a store that has it. LN55C630. It isn't the top of the line of that model number, but it is just amazing.

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/tv-video/televisions/lcd-tv/LN55C630K1FXZA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-ln55c630/4505-6482_7-34001722.html

http://www.epinions.com/review/Samsung_LN55C630_TV/content_514571079300

Some of the reviews state a blue tint to the black level, but I have yet to see that, at least with the settings I have adjusted on the TV. The shadow quality is not as bad as some of the reviews state, and the black levels are really spot on.

The Cnet video review is pretty good, but I do not understand their score. 3 out of 5 stars, yet there are basically no downfalls of this TV that are really noticeable. Maybe they are comparing it to the very high end tv's for their ratings, but for the price range, it is most likely one of the best TV's you can get.