Ownership Changer

post-312398-0-77078400-1309625289.png

Description

This program was designed with the end-user in mind. It allows the end-user to change a file/folders attributes or owner without the need of registry hacks or command prompt knowledge.

post-312398-0-45427800-1309625302.png

Prerequisites

• Windows Vista (compatible with all service packs)
  • Windows 7 (compatible with all service packs)
  • Administrative Privileges (required to run program as Administrator)
  • The .NET Framework 3.5 (only for Windows Vista). This can be found here: http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

Changes in version 3.0.0

• Added/Created a new icon
  • Added a remade readme
  • Added Administrator priviledges as a requirement
  • Added the ability to send bug reports (still in testing)
  • Added User detection (still in testing)
  • Removed Aero rendering
  • Removed GPU requirements
  • Redesigned the GUI
  • Embedded the Readme into the GUI
  • Rewrote the entire program from scratch (due to loss of original source code)
  • Switched project affiliation from Neowin.net to InspireNXE

We hope you enjoy using our program!

The InspireNXE Team

Ownership Changer 3.0.0.zip

I know it might be obvious to some.. but...

Is it for Windows? If so, which versions, and is it compatible with 64-bit?

I assume it just allows you to change permissions on files easily without going through several dialogs or commands? :o

Whats is different between this and the reg file that adds the take ownership option to the right click menu ?

Ah I see it adds permissions too

Not bad, quite like it - thanks

I know it might be obvious to some.. but...

Is it for Windows? If so, which versions, and is it compatible with 64-bit?

I assume it just allows you to change permissions on files easily without going through several dialogs or commands? :o

It will run on Windows Vista and Windows 7.

It MAY work on Windows XP if someone has .NET framework 3.5 installed (comes from windows update). Cannot verify this myself so I haven't listed it as compatible.

Its basically a GUI way of doing what you do in the command prompt. It just makes things a lot simpler for those that are not so tech-savvy. :)

Whats is different between this and the reg file that adds the take ownership option to the right click menu ?

There is no difference except for the mere fact that this is a portable application that does not involve modifying your registry. It also can set permissions of a file unlike the registry tweak.

There is no difference except for the mere fact that this is a portable application that does not involve modifying your registry. It also can set permissions of a file unlike the registry tweak.

Yea I edited my last post, thanks for this

I tried the program and it doesn't seem to work at all. I tried a variety of things, and every time it failed to take ownership or set permissions.

I created a new folder with a random file in it.

On the file, i removed all security permissions, and gave ownership to SYSTEM. I did the same for the folder too.

It failed to take ownership of the folder.

After manually taking ownership, it failed to set permissions on the folder.

I couldn't select the file because the Browse dialog complained that I didn't have permission to access that file. :blink:

It looks like a nice utility to have, but it simply didn't work for me.

OP may want to detail what this application does in the original post. I thought it had something to do with selling your computer and changing the "owner". lol.

I tried the program and it doesn't seem to work at all. I tried a variety of things, and every time it failed to take ownership or set permissions.

I created a new folder with a random file in it.

On the file, i removed all security permissions, and gave ownership to SYSTEM. I did the same for the folder too.

It failed to take ownership of the folder.

After manually taking ownership, it failed to set permissions on the folder.

I couldn't select the file because the Browse dialog complained that I didn't have permission to access that file. :blink:

It looks like a nice utility to have, but it simply didn't work for me.

Same problem here

capturexh.jpg

Not everyone likes typing out commands. :)

Its basically a GUI way of doing what you do in the command prompt.

And what commands does one have to type out to take ownership??

You don't even need to use the keyboard at all - everything can be done with the mouse. For what possible reason would anyone need this tool?? If anything it would just make users more stupid, not knowing the actual place to do it.

You don't even need to use the keyboard at all - everything can be done with the mouse. For what possible reason would anyone need this tool?? If anything it would just make users more stupid, not knowing the actual place to do it.

laugh.gif is that possible ?

Windows requires you to click a lot of things to first take ownership, then set permissions. Vista / 7 is even worse with having to click Edit, and possibly even a few more clicks if you get UAC prompts. This program, on the other hand, would take ownership and set permissions in just a few clicks.

The Take Ownership shell extension would do the same, but this program is portable and therefore handy if you're repairing a PC.

Woah guys. Its my first application, why the need to be so hateful? (directed towards BudMan)

Xinok, it appears to be a bug, I will attempt to resolve that as soon as possible.

Released version 2.6.

Added information regarding the new release in the original post.

This version works great, it gains access to folders just fine, but files still have a small problem. It only gives access to group Administrators. This means only programs running as administrator can access the file, and any program running under UAC will be unable to access the file. You have to set permissions for the current user, and not just Administrators.

The program works great otherwise. I'll be holding on to this one. :)

Edit: You can use %username% to do this:

icacls "file.txt" /grant %username%:F /t

This version works great, it gains access to folders just fine, but files still have a small problem. It only gives access to group Administrators. This means only programs running as administrator can access the file, and any program running under UAC will be unable to access the file. You have to set permissions for the current user, and not just Administrators.

Oops! Will fix that in a moment.

Edit: You can use %username% to do this:

icacls "file.txt" /grant %username%:F /t

Fixed in 2.6.5, thanks for the suggestion

procesStartInfo.Arguments = "/c icacls " + Chr(34) & TakeOwnerDialog.theFolder & Chr(34) + " /grant " + Chr(34) & Enviornment.UserName & Chr(34) + ":F /t"

Handling files is the same way without the extra flag and the variable name would be different. The Chr(34) is a way to add quotes to handle spaces and file paths and usernames.

Fixed in 2.6.5, thanks for the suggestion

procesStartInfo.Arguments = "/c icacls " + Chr(34) & TakeOwnerDialog.theFolder & Chr(34) + " /grant " + Chr(34) & Enviornment.UserName & Chr(34) + ":F /t"

Handling files is the same way without the extra flag and the variable name would be different. The Chr(34) is a way to add quotes to handle spaces and file paths and usernames.

Folders work great now, but there's still the problem of the Open File dialog complaining you don't have access to a file. It's a cheap hack, but you can switch it to a Save File dialog. :p (Just make sure to disable the overwrite file prompt)

Just one more thing, drag and drop support would be nice.

Okay, I promise I'll leave you alone now! Thanks for writing this utility and fixing all of the bugs.

Folders work great now, but there's still the problem of the Open File dialog complaining you don't have access to a file. It's a cheap hack, but you can switch it to a Save File dialog. :p (Just make sure to disable the overwrite file prompt)

Just one more thing, drag and drop support would be nice.

Okay, I promise I'll leave you alone now! Thanks for writing this utility and fixing all of the bugs.

Thats curious I will try that hack out and see what I can do with it. Thanks a ton for the suggestions and don't hesitate to throw out new ideas!

In 2.7 I hope I can resolve this open dialog error for good!

Hateful?? Not sure what I said that had any hate in it?? :blink:

You clearly stated the purpose of this tools was to not have to type out commands when asked what the purpose was

"Not everyone likes typing out commands."

And then stated

"Its basically a GUI way of doing what you do in the command prompt."

I asked what commands, since keyboard is never needed to take ownership, etc. And asked what possible reason would need this tool for -- All you doing is HIDING the standard, built in OS method from the user -- this sort of thing just makes them stupider!! And yes phenom it is possible ;)

If you want to tout it as time saving tool to lessen number of clicks for user that already understand the correct/built in method -- ok fine.. But to be honest -- this is rarely something done on any sort of reg basis.. I again do not see the point in some tool to save me a few clicks on something that might be needed now and then. If ever!

And if something done more often, and want to save time.. I would think there are much better option than running this tool.. Since to be honest - what does it save one click? You have to run this tool, then you have to tell it if its file or folder, then you have to browse to where the file or folder is, etc. etc.

Seems pointless... When I can just right click and set permissions to whatever I want, ownership to whatever I want, etc.. This tool gives no choice to who I set the owner too.

This tool is much better at a time saver

http://www.blogsdna.com/2173/add-take-ownership-option-in-right-click-context-menu-of-windows-7.htm

Right click done.. Vs run your tool, pick what to use file or folder, browse around disk, etc..

Im glad you learning and making your products available to the public -- but I just do not see the need or point of this sort of tool. Sorry, thats just my honest opinion.. Has nothing to do with hate I assure you.. I applaud you for trying and giving to the community, etc. I just wish you could find something more useful to use your skills on ;)

Hateful?? Not sure what I said that had any hate in it?? :blink:

You clearly stated the purpose of this tools was to not have to type out commands when asked what the purpose was

"Not everyone likes typing out commands."

And then stated

"Its basically a GUI way of doing what you do in the command prompt."

I asked what commands, since keyboard is never needed to take ownership, etc. And asked what possible reason would need this tool for -- All you doing is HIDING the standard, built in OS method from the user -- this sort of thing just makes them stupider!! And yes phenom it is possible ;)

If you want to tout it as time saving tool to lessen number of clicks for user that already understand the correct/built in method -- ok fine.. But to be honest -- this is rarely something done on any sort of reg basis.. I again do not see the point in some tool to save me a few clicks on something that might be needed now and then. If ever!

And if something done more often, and want to save time.. I would think there are much better option than running this tool.. Since to be honest - what does it save one click? You have to run this tool, then you have to tell it if its file or folder, then you have to browse to where the file or folder is, etc. etc.

Seems pointless... When I can just right click and set permissions to whatever I want, ownership to whatever I want, etc.. This tool gives no choice to who I set the owner too.

This tool is much better at a time saver

http://www.blogsdna....f-windows-7.htm

Right click done.. Vs run your tool, pick what to use file or folder, browse around disk, etc..

Im glad you learning and making your products available to the public -- but I just do not see the need or point of this sort of tool. Sorry, thats just my honest opinion.. Has nothing to do with hate I assure you.. I applaud you for trying and giving to the community, etc. I just wish you could find something more useful to use your skills on ;)

Regardless of your opinion, the tool is what it is. This is a chance for me to really learn the VB.net language and as such everyone has to begin somewhere. It could be different; I could be like other independent programmers who design utilities and other useful applications and never bother to release them to the community.

Above all else, I was just trying to help and learn at the same time. Besides, who really wants registry hacks to get small things accomplished? The registry is to fragile for the average user to be playing around in it. Even if the registry hack you provided in your post is as simple as double clicking and installing it. There is still always a chance it could break something in the registry.

One last thing, have you looked at the new GUI? Please find me somewhere in this registry hack that has the ability that this new GUI will provide. :) (PS. To enable the new GUI; please run the program, go to options and enable the new GUI)