Ownership Changer

Hateful?? Not sure what I said that had any hate in it?? :blink:

You clearly stated the purpose of this tools was to not have to type out commands when asked what the purpose was

"Not everyone likes typing out commands."

And then stated

"Its basically a GUI way of doing what you do in the command prompt."

I asked what commands, since keyboard is never needed to take ownership, etc. And asked what possible reason would need this tool for -- All you doing is HIDING the standard, built in OS method from the user -- this sort of thing just makes them stupider!! And yes phenom it is possible ;)

If you want to tout it as time saving tool to lessen number of clicks for user that already understand the correct/built in method -- ok fine.. But to be honest -- this is rarely something done on any sort of reg basis.. I again do not see the point in some tool to save me a few clicks on something that might be needed now and then. If ever!

And if something done more often, and want to save time.. I would think there are much better option than running this tool.. Since to be honest - what does it save one click? You have to run this tool, then you have to tell it if its file or folder, then you have to browse to where the file or folder is, etc. etc.

Seems pointless... When I can just right click and set permissions to whatever I want, ownership to whatever I want, etc.. This tool gives no choice to who I set the owner too.

This tool is much better at a time saver

http://www.blogsdna.com/2173/add-take-ownership-option-in-right-click-context-menu-of-windows-7.htm

Right click done.. Vs run your tool, pick what to use file or folder, browse around disk, etc..

Im glad you learning and making your products available to the public -- but I just do not see the need or point of this sort of tool. Sorry, thats just my honest opinion.. Has nothing to do with hate I assure you.. I applaud you for trying and giving to the community, etc. I just wish you could find something more useful to use your skills on ;)

Please, man. The responsibility of software developers is to be user advocates. A user is not "stupid" because he doesn't want to waste time learning some ghastly neglected dialog.

• 4 months later...

Hateful?? Not sure what I said that had any hate in it?? :blink:

You clearly stated the purpose of this tools was to not have to type out commands when asked what the purpose was

"Not everyone likes typing out commands."

And then stated

"Its basically a GUI way of doing what you do in the command prompt."

I asked what commands, since keyboard is never needed to take ownership, etc. And asked what possible reason would need this tool for -- All you doing is HIDING the standard, built in OS method from the user -- this sort of thing just makes them stupider!! And yes phenom it is possible ;)

If you want to tout it as time saving tool to lessen number of clicks for user that already understand the correct/built in method -- ok fine.. But to be honest -- this is rarely something done on any sort of reg basis.. I again do not see the point in some tool to save me a few clicks on something that might be needed now and then. If ever!

And if something done more often, and want to save time.. I would think there are much better option than running this tool.. Since to be honest - what does it save one click? You have to run this tool, then you have to tell it if its file or folder, then you have to browse to where the file or folder is, etc. etc.

Seems pointless... When I can just right click and set permissions to whatever I want, ownership to whatever I want, etc.. This tool gives no choice to who I set the owner too.

This tool is much better at a time saver

http://www.blogsdna.com/2173/add-take-ownership-option-in-right-click-context-menu-of-windows-7.htm

Right click done.. Vs run your tool, pick what to use file or folder, browse around disk, etc..

Im glad you learning and making your products available to the public -- but I just do not see the need or point of this sort of tool. Sorry, thats just my honest opinion.. Has nothing to do with hate I assure you.. I applaud you for trying and giving to the community, etc. I just wish you could find something more useful to use your skills on ;)

You may live in a computer savy user environment, if so, it's obvious why this tool seem so usless to you, but not everyone is as submerged in computer knowledge as you seem. I know people that moves around Windows a little better than the average user (stupid or not) but are not savy enough to dive into the system to change file/folder ownerships if/whenever/for whaterver reason they need to. There is where the usefulness of this program lyes.

Besides, Ninja Grinch is learning, so congrats and thanks to him for sharing.

The application is alright, but please ditch the Aero Glass background.

This is not the proper way to use it, and will at best annoy users, at worst make the text completely unreadable.

(consider people like Phenom II who use one of those custom themes that are clearer and more transparent than default)

Unfortunately due to things in real life I was never able to update this. I do intend to return to this soon and continue updating it unfortunately I lost the original source code so unless I can find it I will end up starting from scratch.

For the record I do intend to scrap the Aero Glass aspect of it, it was only something I was toying around with.

For the record I do intend to scrap the Aero Glass aspect of it, it was only something I was toying around with.

I think everyone (myself included) goes past this stage :laugh:

3.0.0 should be release within a week (aiming for the 1st or 2nd of July). Hope everyone will like the changes made. :D

3.0.0 has been released!

Changes in version 3.0.0

• Added/Created a new icon
  • Added a remade readme
  • Added Administrator priviledges as a requirement
  • Added the ability to send bug reports (still in testing)
  • Added User detection (still in testing)
  • Removed Aero rendering
  • Removed GPU requirements
  • Redesigned the GUI
  • Embedded the Readme into the GUI
  • Rewrote the entire program from scratch (due to loss of original source code)
  • Switched project affiliation from Neowin.net to InspireNXE

• Like 2

• 4 years later...
1 hour ago, gyser101 said:

The download link is not working.  It is saying that I need to login. 

This software was something I created in my free time back in 2010. I imagine the uploaded file was likely lost during one of Neowin's major forum upgrades. I wish I could provide you a copy but I haven't even thought about this project in a long time.

That said, there are probably better options out there.

• Eric locked this topic