Do the 'Hide IP' programs really work?

Question

I am just curious about this: Do the programs that advertise that they Hide your IP address, really work or are they simply a money making ploy/scam?

Well they give you added security of course. But you can never be totally anonymous online. If an infringement gets reported, the owners of the proxy will (by law) have to provide the original IP at the time of the infringement. The website which act as a proxy also do as they say, but you'll find a lot of sites ban them access due to abuse.

Also you never know who's running public proxy's, software or website versions. Is it agencies collecting usage data?

There's also VPN's which encrypt your traffic (as well as hide your ip) - meaning your ISP can't determine what it is you're downloading. It's good way of bypassing P2P throttling, etc and at the same time accessing things outside your country (BBC iPlayer/Hulu/Netflix etc) at nice speeds - which you definitely won't get with a public or web proxy. I no longer browse the internet without one since the draconian Digital Economy Bill was passed in the UK.

BlackVPN - http://www.blackvpn.com are a good provider. They recently mailed me a 'buy one month get two months free' comeback code, not bad for around 5EUR/$6.50...

Heh, I don't use one and I'm in the UK. ; )

But I'm with TalkTalk who are against all this keeping and monitoring everything that people do, etc etc. But I suppose it might be good with one...

Heh, I don't use one and I'm in the UK. ; )

But I'm with TalkTalk who are against all this keeping and monitoring everything that people do, etc etc. But I suppose it might be good with one...

Means nothing my friend. I'm also with Talk Talk, and they will have to comply with the law regardless of their views on it. They know better than to mess with the government...

The plan is to get a list of the P2P infringers from the 'big few' broadband suppliers in the UK. I think TalkTalk would be included in that.

Most frustratingly, I voted Lib Dems in the elections because they were the only big party who openly opposed the bill. But has Clegg done anything? Like crap has he - hasn't brought it up once.

By the way, TalkTalk aren't as sweet as they make themselves sound: http://www.techeye.net/security/talktalk-spies-on-customers

Well they give you added security of course. But you can never be totally anonymous online. If an infringement gets reported, the owners of the proxy will (by law) have to provide the original IP at the time of the infringement. The website which act as a proxy also do as they say, but you'll find a lot of sites ban them access due to abuse.

Also you never know who's running public proxy's, software or website versions. Is it agencies collecting usage data?

There's also VPN's which encrypt your traffic (as well as hide your ip) - meaning your ISP can't determine what it is you're downloading. It's good way of bypassing P2P throttling, etc and at the same time accessing things outside your country (BBC iPlayer/Hulu/Netflix etc) at nice speeds - which you definitely won't get with a public or web proxy. I no longer browse the internet without one since the draconian Digital Economy Bill was passed in the UK.

BlackVPN - http://www.blackvpn.com are a good provider. They recently mailed me a 'buy one month get two months free' comeback code, not bad for around 5EUR/$6.50...

Checkout boxpn they are cheaper with less restrictions and a better no log policy.

VPN does mask your identity and provide you highly encrypted security but not sure about proxy. There are alotoptions which you may consider like HideMyAss,PureVPN,StrongVPN and so on...

I no longer browse the internet without one since the draconian Digital Economy Bill was passed in the UK.

If i want to go secure online, i use torbrowser in a VM

God you people are paranoid....

The government is not going to go after you. They don't care about small times like ourselves. They care about larger organizations the sell and distribute copyrighted material.

The government is not going to go after you. They don't care about small times like ourselves. They care about larger organizations the sell and distribute copyrighted material.

I said if I want to go secure, its not often I do it but I do. Also maybe I have reason to be paranoid? You don't know what I am doing.

(its nothing bad, but it could be :laugh:)

Better to be safe than sorry.

You're right, the GOVERNMENT isn't going to go after you. Greedy organizations like RIAA, MPAA will go after you.

Hello,

They afford some level of protection, but can be technologically-bypassed. For example, an LSO cookie might leak information about your environment, and one may be able to do interesting things in JavaScript to help uniquely identify a computer.

My suggestion would be to avoid doing anything, well, dodgy (for lack of a better term) on your computer that might require the need for such a service in the first place.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 3

Sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't. In my past I have used a couple. Whenever I manually changed my IP Address, the same IP address came again and again. May be it was due to trial version.

Sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't. In my past I have used a couple. Whenever I manually changed my IP Address, the same IP address came again and again. May be it was due to trial version.

O_o

For curiosity sake, how do you change your IP address?

I tell you how. In your IP hider window you can see a box Change IP Every ***** Minutes. Let it be remained uncheck. You can use any particular IP address as long as you want. To change the IP address you need to check the box. Once the IP has changed, uncheck it again. Or if you want to change your IP automatically in a defined duration, then you need to check the box and set the time.

Do they hide you're IP address? Yes. Do they hide your identity? Thats an entirely different question, usually no unless you are an absolute pro. In network security we often look for the weakest link. That could be a leftover cookie, a location service a browser UID that shows up somewhere else as an exposed host, matching browsing patterns, server logs, ISP logs, workplace snitches and of course carefully planted baits. There are literally thousands of ways security researchers and hackers alike can find out who you are so don't think for one second that using a "secure" VPN or SSL proxy is going to hide you from doing stuff, it merely adds an extra layer of fun for agencies, hackers etc to get through. They are also often the places the feds hang out to intercept crime because it's where people go to hide things. Anyway, will they hide your IP? Yes but don't confuse IP address and identity. COMPLETELY different concepts.

O_o

For curiosity sake, how do you change your IP address?

I think he is referring to the ability to change the routed traffic to a different host in some VPN/Proxy services! The option is available in many "anonymity" clients.

Hello,

They afford some level of protection, but can be technologically-bypassed. For example, an LSO cookie might leak information about your environment, and one may be able to do interesting things in JavaScript to help uniquely identify a computer.

My suggestion would be to avoid doing anything, well, dodgy (for lack of a better term) on your computer that might require the need for such a service in the first place.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

^ the only response worth reading in this thread to be fair.

• Like 3

I use Hola Unblocker to watch various videos online, works brilliantly. It's a chrome plugin too which IMO is even better. I don't know how well it hides ip address, but as long as I can get iPlayer I'm happy :D

various videos online

Eheh, saw what you did there :turned:  Nice bump too.

Also, I don't understand people who are so worried about the privacy of their IP.

Firstly your IP gives out your location, ISP and system info. Not quite the deal if you ask me. You can't be identified by that alone. They'll have to contact your ISP which would give your info only to law enforcers. This is never going to happen unless you're doing illegal stuff.

And if you indeed involve into illegal activities, you already know that a hide-ip program alone isn't going to really hide you.

@nik...I was just about to post the same, lol. Ya beat me to it.