Photo

Do the 'Hide IP' programs really work?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#16 Naitik

Naitik

Neowinian

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:37

Sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't. In my past I have used a couple. Whenever I manually changed my IP Address, the same IP address came again and again. May be it was due to trial version.

#17 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 31

Posted 18 January 2013 - 14:17

Sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't. In my past I have used a couple. Whenever I manually changed my IP Address, the same IP address came again and again. May be it was due to trial version.

O_o
For curiosity sake, how do you change your IP address?

#18 Naitik

Naitik

Neowinian

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:45

I tell you how. In your IP hider window you can see a box Change IP Every ***** Minutes. Let it be remained uncheck. You can use any particular IP address as long as you want. To change the IP address you need to check the box. Once the IP has changed, uncheck it again. Or if you want to change your IP automatically in a defined duration, then you need to check the box and set the time.

#19 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 31

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:51

lol, ok carry on.

#20 ingramator

ingramator

Hacker

• Phone: Lumia 920, iPhone 5, GS3

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:15

Do they hide you're IP address? Yes. Do they hide your identity? Thats an entirely different question, usually no unless you are an absolute pro. In network security we often look for the weakest link. That could be a leftover cookie, a location service a browser UID that shows up somewhere else as an exposed host, matching browsing patterns, server logs, ISP logs, workplace snitches and of course carefully planted baits. There are literally thousands of ways security researchers and hackers alike can find out who you are so don't think for one second that using a "secure" VPN or SSL proxy is going to hide you from doing stuff, it merely adds an extra layer of fun for agencies, hackers etc to get through. They are also often the places the feds hang out to intercept crime because it's where people go to hide things. Anyway, will they hide your IP? Yes but don't confuse IP address and identity. COMPLETELY different concepts.

O_o
For curiosity sake, how do you change your IP address?

I think he is referring to the ability to change the routed traffic to a different host in some VPN/Proxy services! The option is available in many "anonymity" clients.

#21 Kami-

Kami-

♫ d(-_-)b ♫

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:21

Hello,

They afford some level of protection, but can be technologically-bypassed. For example, an LSO cookie might leak information about your environment, and one may be able to do interesting things in JavaScript to help uniquely identify a computer.

My suggestion would be to avoid doing anything, well, dodgy (for lack of a better term) on your computer that might require the need for such a service in the first place.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

^ the only response worth reading in this thread to be fair.

#22 blerk

blerk

Banned User

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:01

I use Hola Unblocker to watch various videos online, works brilliantly. It's a chrome plugin too which IMO is even better. I don't know how well it hides ip address, but as long as I can get iPlayer I'm happy :D

#23 ShockD

ShockD

Antagonist

Posted 22 October 2013 - 15:49

various videos online

Eheh, saw what you did there :turned:  Nice bump too.

Also, I don't understand people who are so worried about the privacy of their IP.

Firstly your IP gives out your location, ISP and system info. Not quite the deal if you ask me. You can't be identified by that alone. They'll have to contact your ISP which would give your info only to law enforcers. This is never going to happen unless you're doing illegal stuff.

And if you indeed involve into illegal activities, you already know that a hide-ip program alone isn't going to really hide you.

#24 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 22 October 2013 - 15:56

TOR for paranoid 

IPVanish for extra security\wifi public 

#25 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 22 October 2013 - 15:58

Firstly your IP gives out your location, ISP and system info

??

#26 Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi

"You were the chosen one!"

Posted 22 October 2013 - 18:41

@nik...I was just about to post the same, lol. Ya beat me to it.

#27 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 22 October 2013 - 18:43

IP Hider App = Proxy? lol you guys.

#28 francescob

francescob

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 October 2013 - 18:43

??

Using a GUI interface written in Visual Basic somebody could find out your MAC address and from the address know everything about your Macintosh!

#29 Order_66

Order_66

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:01

Using a GUI interface written in Visual Basic somebody could find out your MAC address and from the address know everything about your Macintosh!

^this FTW!

/s

#30 +Odom

Odom

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:35

Certain applications are only good for certain things. It depends what you want to hide and from whom. Your ISP will always know your IP and who you are, but not necessarily what you are doing.