Civ 5... here it comes!

Well I played through the demo last night, and I must say, I'm very impressed and if anything eager to play more!

The graphics, and hex tiling system works really well, and gives much more of a sense of freedom with the movement. The music and general atmosphere of the game is awesome (The demo sees you playing as India).

I didn't play very aggressively, as I wanted to explore the new features for cultural victories and diplomacy. There is A LOT there on top of Civ IV in this area, which really gives a ton of options for strategy, especially with stuff like City States.

Also, the interaction with AI through the diplomacy system seems much more natural and involving. I really like the trades you can offer too - potentially VERY interesting in multiplayer!

It did feel weird however not being able to stack military units on a tile. Takes a bit of adjustment.

I didn't foresee the demo finishing just as I was leaving the Classical (I think) age, so I'll probably play through again, taking more of a military stance.

EDIT: Demo is 100 turns long :)

Overall, seems like very well evolved Version of Civilization, and although sticking to the core gameplay mechanics of earlier iterations (it wouldn't be Civ otherwise, surely?), there is a lot of new stuff here to get your strategical teeth into. Can't wait for my copy :)

So, just wondering, if i'm getting the disc based version of this game which will be using Steam can i play the game without inserting the disk into my drive every time? I usually like to use the no-disc exes.

I've not used Steam before so please correct me if i'm mistaking Steam and Steamworks.

So, just wondering, if i'm getting the disc based version of this game which will be using Steam can i play the game without inserting the disk into my drive every time? I usually like to use the no-disc exes.

I've not used Steam before so please correct me if i'm mistaking Steam and Steamworks.

I believe so - at least that is how it works with Just Cause 2 (another Steamworks game I bought, and I can play that without the disk in the drive).

I doubt it...we've only had 5 Civ games in 20 years :whistle:

5 numbers anyway.

• Civilization
  • Civilization II
  • Civilization II: Conflicts in Civilization
  • Civilization II: Fantastic Worlds
  • Civilization II: Test of Time (my personal Favorite)
  • Civilization III
  • Civilization III: Play the World
  • Civilization III: Conquests
  • Civilization IV
  • Civilization IV: Warlords
  • Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword
  • Civilization IV: Colonization
  • Civilization: Revolution
  • Civilization V
  • Civilization Network (Announced Facebook Game)

And there is also a TableTop game, and a Card game (both of which i own along with all of the other games :p)

wish it was released at midnight here in oz!!! stupid timezones...i am hanging out...

Then use a VPN, works for me here in UK ;) Playing now :) Game not due to be unlocked till midnight.

Make an account @ http://tunnelbroker.net ,then set up a tunnel.

Follow this guide @ http://tunnelbroker.net/help/windows7-vpn.php (link won't work until you have an account).

Connect to your VPN, start Steam, unlock the game, PLAY!

Then use a VPN, works for me here in UK ;) Playing now :) Game not due to be unlocked till midnight.

Make an account @ http://tunnelbroker.net ,then set up a tunnel.

Follow this guide @ http://tunnelbroker.net/help/windows7-vpn.php (link won't work until you have an account).

Connect to your VPN, start Steam, unlock the game, PLAY!

Is tunnelbroker free?

gonna have to develop a whole lot of new tactics for this one.

attacking cities is a whole different beast this time around!!!

Thus the reason I started a Strategy thread. :)

I'm still trying to figure out how to finance a large army like

America seems to do... they just kept sending waves of

swordsmen after my ass like it didn't cost them anything.

(Prince level, I refuse to play anything less)

Also, how the hell do you get an army bonus from Generals?

I tried sticking him on the same tile as one of my troops and they

didn't seem to be any more effective.

Got it, it was 4:30pm, played, looked at the clock, it was 7:30pm, best strategy series just got a hell of a lot better.

It's dammed addictive for sure, best excuse for a 'time machine' yet. Best make sure your NOT married before playing this lol!! :laugh: