Microsoft halves number of available TechNet keys

Technet deserves to be taken for everything they got considering the pricing of retail MS products

This is quite possibly the most ignorant thing I've read in a long time.

Congrats.

Says the person whining that Technet should be ripped off. :whistle:

If you don't want people calling you a child then don't act like one.

Quote the post I said those exact words - or are you twisting things to cause a flame war ?

This is quite possibly the most ignorant thing I've read in a long time.

Congrats.

You need to read more

Technet deserves to be taken for everything they got considering the pricing of retail MS products
Says the person whining that Technet should be ripped off
Quote the post I said those exact words - or are you twisting things to cause a flame war ?

Explain exactly what you meant then by "taken for everything they got" if not "ripped off"...

Because I don't see that TRC was twisting anything.

Explain exactly what you meant then by "taken for everything they got" if not "ripped off"...

Because I don't see that TRC was twisting anything.

10 keys! I dont think MS should have limited the keys to 5, I think they should have kept it at 10 so we could "TAKE THEM FOR EVERYTHING THEY GOT"

And how can you not see him twisting something when he Quotes me saying something that I did not

What do you call that ? The absolute truth ?

10 keys! I dont think MS should have limited the keys to 5, I think they should have kept it at 10 so we could "TAKE THEM FOR EVERYTHING THEY GOT"

They're evaluation keys, so what real difference does it make to most here. It's not like you can actually legally use them on production systems.

And how can you not see him twisting something when he Quotes me saying something that I did not

He didn't quote you at all, so that argument is not valid. He interpreted your post the way most would bearing in mind that previous posts had been about piracy, and so on.

And you have yet to post what "TAKE THEM FOR EVERYTHING THEY GOT" actually means then? Take the 10 licenses? Well all they are giving now is 5 - so if you want to take the max licenses, then go ahead. It's 5.

I think you are climbing down without the ability to say you are, though.

They're evaluation keys, so what real difference does it make to most here. It's not like you can actually legally use them on production systems.

Pricing, again

MS charge a considerable amount for a Technet account and considering its limited licensing rules to start with I disagree with what they have done

He didn't quote you at all, so that argument is not valid. He interpreted your post the way most would bearing in mind that previous posts had been about piracy, and so on.

And you have yet to post what "TAKE THEM FOR EVERYTHING THEY GOT" actually means then? Take the 10 licenses? Well all they are giving now is 5 - so if you want to take the max licenses, then go ahead. It's 5.

I think you are climbing down without the ability to say you are, though.

Huh ?

Who brought you into this argument anyway ? You just bored ?

If you cant understand what I mean, when I explain it to you, maybe you shouldn't be replying, and instead, draw some pictures or something less mentally intensive.

If I thought MS Technet should be ripped off, I would have ripped them off with my own account full of keys and downloads.

Huh ?

Which part you not getting?

Who brought you into this argument anyway ? You just bored ?

You posted an assinine comment in a public forum, which I was already taking part in.

If you cant understand what I mean, when I explain it to you, maybe you shouldn't be replying, and instead, draw some pictures or something less mentally intensive.

You have still yet to explain without any vague references what "TAKE THEM FOR EVERYTHING THEY GOT" means... Strugling here to justify your original comment? Seems like it.

So the limit came in after I generated my keys, that means all 10 will still activate right? But new products will only allow me to generate 5 in the future ?

Same deal here, looks like it works fine for me. I did go through my account a fair while back and generate all the keys for fun so it looks like that paid off!

I hope you are joking because yes, it is expensive.

Compared to the low-tech OS costs of the 1980s, which would translate even higher considering inflation, Windows 7 is dirt farking cheap. Even Ultimate is a steal.

This is all a result of Windows being the dominant OS for so long. When you only have one OS to choose from off store shelves, and you don't have other prices to compare it to, you start feeling like it's expensive. But believe it or not, before all of MS's 'shady' practices, they were winning marketshare by being cheap as crap (competitors even complained that there was no way they could sell their product alongside MS's prices).

It's fun to watch old episodes of Computer Chronicles. XD (Apple rep in the early 90s: "*chuckle* Yeah, it's safe to say we're FINALLY past the days of Jobs.")

It's never failed to baffle me that the same people who'll drop $200+ on a video card might be the ones whining about the cost of their OS, though. I realize it's not the case for every complaint, but man. The only people who are actually buying Windows off the shelf are people who are either upgrading old computers or building new ones. If you're building from scratch, you should have a sense of perspective regarding the cost of components, and one would hope you'd be viewing the OS as just as important a component as the harddrive, video card, PSU, etc. If you're upgrading an old computer, you should have either the same perspective from building that one, or, if it's vendor-made, you got it dirt cheap thanks to crapware, and can certainly afford to pay for an OS after all that. :p

Perspective, kids. Get some.

Same deal here, looks like it works fine for me. I did go through my account a fair while back and generate all the keys for fun so it looks like that paid off!

Lol yea I did that a while ago, took ages, but well worth every second.

Which part you not getting?

You posted an assinine comment in a public forum, which I was already taking part in.

You have still yet to explain without any vague references what "TAKE THEM FOR EVERYTHING THEY GOT" means... Strugling here to justify your original comment? Seems like it.

Well I feel I have explained well enough for most people with an IQ higher than a peanut to understand, so I will make no further attempts to lower myself in order to only satisfy your lack of ability to understand a sentence.

Huh? Windows 7 Home Premium is $177 from Amazon. That's not expensive for something you use every day for years.

Well no, over the life of your PC it is not expensive.

However, many many people are short sighted and would see the initial cost as something they would rather not invest in.

If they reduce our number of keys available by 50%, they should reduce the price by 50%.

Well, they have a new lower-priced level. You can get Technet Standard for $199. $149 to renew. You can also find coupons online which can lower it even more.

As far as this thread, I don't really know what all the fuss is about. If you need more keys, you can call Microsoft and get more. So, in effect, you haven't really lost anything.

Kids these days. :wacko:

Uhh you guys do realize that in the event you need more keys for a particular product you can just call and get more keys right? I mean it does suck that they halved the number of keys, but it's just to prevent people from running wild with them. If you have a legitimate need for additional keys they will give you more without any issue.

Well I feel I have explained well enough for most people with an IQ higher than a peanut to understand, so I will make no further attempts to lower myself in order to only satisfy your lack of ability to understand a sentence.

No - you made another vague comment to answer the lack of clarity in your original comment.

All I see now is someone not able to back up their original stupid comment with a coherrant argument... Yawn...

Anyone else here, please enlighten me as to what this person means by "taken for everything they got"...

i actually bought the full retail copy of win 7 ultimate for like $400 last xmas. although i really should've got the oem version and saved quite a few dollars, i still feel it's worth it.

my only issue with it, is lack of flexibility in being able to transfer the license to a new PC, and being able to easily uninstall it from an old PC. which is something i didn't anticipate this last time but know now for the future.

it seems like people really do abuse technet, simply generating keys willy nilly and using them for daily long term use. it's really to evaluate the software for corporate/company purchases, not for home long term use. it's not for you to have a cheap way to put windows on all your home pc's or your family and friends' pc's. there are family packs of windows at a decent price, as well as other ms products. the fact that you can call in for more keys makes the rage over this kinda silly, because really it just cuts down on the convenience factor of technet, more than anything else.

the cost of windows is a fairly small part of the price of building a brand new pc from teh ground up. if you buy an OEM copy and put it on a ssd, the drive it's on costs more than the OS itself.

my only issue with it, is lack of flexibility in being able to transfer the license to a new PC, and being able to easily uninstall it from an old PC. which is something i didn't anticipate this last time but know now for the future.

I thought a person was allowed to do that. Just need to phone it to Microsoft and get re-activated. I could be wrong. I often times am. :yes:

If they reduce our number of keys available by 50%, they should reduce the price by 50%.

What? Other than the fact that you get access to a LOT of software? You also get early access to betas and release candidates... If I have the money, $150 would be great! I would subscribe, because that is amazing!

Oh, yeah... And to those saying these are for evaluation purposes only, if you ever watched (or listened to) Windows Weekly, you would know that Paul Thurrott contacted Microsoft and asked about whether or not you could use this stuff for home purposes... Guess what? You can! Why do you think they made another subscription option? One is for the home user, another is for IT.

The only thing you cannot do is go around installing Windows, Office, etc. on all the computers in your neighborhood, office, or anything like that.

:blink:

$213 for a year is expensive ?

hell it paid for its self when i installed office and windows 7 ultimate /shrug