Microsoft halves number of available TechNet keys

For the amount of software you "get" at that price you shouldn't really be complaining If you honestly need more than 5 keys of something then you it's still cheaper to go that route than buying retail I'm pretty sure. In the end the people selling keys on ebay ruin it for everyone else.

Microsoft has been overly generous with Technet, I think all of the people complaining are probably abusing the system. Like I said earlier, TechNet is for PERSONAL use ONLY. It's hard to imagine a single individual with 100+ computers. I wonder how many people are genuinely affected by this? I'd presume very very few. So whiners please just move on.

How exactly did you "investigate"?

Step 1. check Microsoft's FAQ page aboout the changes located HERE that explains it all.

Step 2. Call Microsoft and confirm that additional key requests will no longer be granted.

Pretty simple really.

For the amount of software you "get" at that price you shouldn't really be complaining If you honestly need more than 5 keys of something then you it's still cheaper to go that route than buying retail I'm pretty sure. In the end the people selling keys on ebay ruin it for everyone else.

(Y)

Honestly, this change hasn't affected me at all. It's not just 5 keys. You get 5 keys for each edition of windows 7, for example, and there's one key for the Enterprise edition with multiple activations...or so it says. I didn't even bother with it. So, at the bare minimum it's fifteen Windows 7 Ultimate, Pro, and Home Premium keys which is more than I'll ever need.

The subscription is worth every penny even after they halved the number of keys cause you get access to the most complete and up to date Microsoft's software library.

Well, ok people may buy a technet account just to get "cheaper version of software they can keep", but at lease this way Microsoft is making money where other wise they would not have .

Well, ok people may buy a technet account just to get "cheaper version of software they can keep", but at lease this way Microsoft is making money where other wise they would not have .

Sure, but it's still not legal. It would be wonderful if you could choose whatever price you want when you buy something rather than have to pay what they charge, but society doesn't work that way.

Sure, but it's still not legal. It would be wonderful if you could choose whatever price you want when you buy something rather than have to pay what they charge, but society doesn't work that way.

It's a really tough challenge to prove in a court of law that a subscriber doesn't evaluate the software when he/she uses it. Microsoft could, I suppose, being the software giant that it is, to hack into a computer and log its usage history to say in court, "hey, this PC is used as a primary workstation in a business environment which is against the agreement". But they'd have to break a few privacy laws to get that evidence. That's why Microsoft doesn't pursue cases like that. It's a waste of time and money. What they can do is deactivate the keys or the account, or make changes to their policy.

Technet isn't some kind of a product that people purchase and live with. It's a subscription with annual payments which means that over the course of several year, a typical technet subscriber probably pays Microsoft much more than an average PC user does buying retail licenses. Not to mention that most customers don't even do that and buy PCs with OEM licenses instead.

A technet subscription provides the MS with a guaranteed revenue stream. It doesn't cost them anything when some nerds break their policy and misuse it by hooking their family or friends up with the subscription. MS still gets paid $2500 over ten years. What they try to avoid is some business's practice of subscribing to technet, often as an individual, and then running their company's PCs entirely on the subscription. That's when MS loses potential revenue the most and this scenario is often more likely to get resolved in Microsoft's favour because there's more chance you'll get paid if you sue a company rather than a person.

I'm in no way endorsing improper usage of technet. I'm just trying to be objective. Just because there maybe a few bad apples, it doesn't mean that all technet subscribers violate the license. There are countless legit IT and other firms which use the subscription as intended for the evaluation purposes. And who could blame them that they also learn the new software in the process ;)

I have 20 keys for W7 Ultimate in TechNet and it says maximum number is 15, same with Office 2010.

You dont lose keys you have already claimed. I also have 20 keys for office 2010 :s lol

Fine, Bust those that sold the key, and leave the good costumers alone. I've been a Technet sub for 11 years. This could end it for me. I don't like being punish for *******s. >:(

You and everyone on here knows that you won't end it lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to drag this topic up, but I have a quick question.

With each renewal each year, do you get an additional 2 keys that you can claim? Or does it just carry on the agreement to use the current 2 keys that have been allocated to you?