The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

The Witcher 2 to have unlimited installs on unlimited PCs for non-GoG.com copies

thewitcher2april1200004april14.jpg

While the GoG.com version of The Witcher 2 will still be DRM free, other copies, including the retail version, of the upcoming fantasy RPG will have a DRM set-up. In a streaming press conference today, developer CD Projekt announced that they are using SecuROM for the game's DRM program However the developer also said that the game will only use the system in order to keep pirates from leaking the game before its scheduled release date of May 17.

The game will need a one-time login to the internet to start playing but will not have an "always on" set up to continue playing the game. The Witcher 2 will let PC gamers have unlimited installs on an unlimited amount of PCs and will let people play it on up to five PCs at once.

[...]

[source:BigDownload]

Wow! That's the best news I've read in awhile. I don't think any developer has offered a game that lets you play on up to 5 PCs at once with an unlimited number of installs on an unlimited number of PCs. The game will also require a one-time activation.

CD Projekt gets a thumbs up from me as well as a guaranteed sale.

[source:BigDownload]

Wow! That's the best news I've read in awhile. I don't think any developer has offered a game that lets you play on up to 5 PCs at once with an unlimited number of installs on an unlimited number of PCs. The game will also require a one-time activation.

CD Projekt gets a thumbs up from me as well as a guaranteed sale.

So uh...anyone want to go halfsies? :laugh:

I like the amount of different categories it has. But, I've never seen parents or shops pay any attention to game ratings - it's apparently fine to let your 7 year old kid play 18 rated games.

Yes, it is perfectly fine. The whole rating system is a piece of crap anyway.

So far the best price I've found is D2D@ ?31.50.

Another month-long wait. Maybe they'll do a Valve-potato gig ! :laugh:

Amazon UK has it for 24 pounds.

So I am thinking of getting the first one to play before the 2nd. Will retail redeem on Steam? I know my Battlefront 2 key didn't but other games have.

You don't need the 1st to play second, as AOK's has it's own story :), although your saves from the first can be carried over, but not necessary.

Lookin really good though, and a contender for GOTY alongside Portal 2 ;)

You see, this is a PC exclusive game and gonna **** a few console folks well off, I like! :yes:

You don't need the 1st to play second, as AOK's has it's own story :), although your saves from the first can be carried over, but not necessary.

Lookin really good though, and a contender for GOTY alongside Portal 2 ;)

You see, this is a PC exclusive game and gonna **** a few console folks well off, I like! :yes:

While both games are nice I don't see either as real contenders for GOTY over games like Mass Effect 3, Skyrim and Uncharted 3. All games which follow series that have taken home many GOTY awards.

While both games are nice I don't see either as real contenders for GOTY over games like Mass Effect 3, Skyrim and Uncharted 3. All games which follow series that have taken home many GOTY awards.

IIRC Portal won a few awards when it released. No reason why Portal 2 wouldn't be at least in the runnings for GOTY.....remember, the original Portal was almost a concept game....they hired some college kids with a neat idea and made a professional grade concept to see how the community took it. Portal 2 was Valves response to the amazing remarks that the original Portal brought about.

RPG style games definitely take the cake on staying fun longer, but in terms of having fun while playing, I personally score Portal 2 at an 8 or 9, and any RPG (ME, ME2, The Witcher, etc) at a 5-7. The RPG games have longer durations, but the fun never really goes above a certain value, whereas Portal and Portal 2 are much shorter, but are much more fun over the same duration.

But, it's all opinionated. I have a feeling Portal 2 is going to be my GOTY this year, many others will feel ME3 or Skyrim are better, I personally highly doubt I will, mostly due to my preferring FPS to RPG-style games, but Portal 2 also to me personally offers much more fun for the duration of the game. Not to mention the custom maps people can create increase replayability......hell, I plan to replay Portal 2 after I finish it just for the dev commentary anyway.....not something I would really do in an RPG game once I've gotten through the story.

Despite what game takes home GOTY, Portal 2 will definitely be one of my favorite games. Honestly, even with ME3 and Skyrim looming in the distance, I am not as excited for them as I was for Portal 2. As for AoK, I am not as excited for it as I was Portal 2, but more excited for it than I am for ME3 or Skyrim. I had more fun with the original than I did with any of the ME and Elder Scrolls series games....so by default I am expecting its sequel to be better than ME3 and Skyrim (for me personally...no doubt others will feel ME3 or Skyrim are GOTY).

Uncharted 3 and sky rim couldnt win goty if they were the only ones nominated.

Witcher 2 or ME3 for sure.

Yep, you did just get hit by a violent torpedo of truth!

IIRC Portal won a few awards when it released. No reason why Portal 2 wouldn't be at least in the runnings for GOTY.....remember, the original Portal was almost a concept game....they hired some college kids with a neat idea and made a professional grade concept to see how the community took it. Portal 2 was Valves response to the amazing remarks that the original Portal brought about.

RPG style games definitely take the cake on staying fun longer, but in terms of having fun while playing, I personally score Portal 2 at an 8 or 9, and any RPG (ME, ME2, The Witcher, etc) at a 5-7. The RPG games have longer durations, but the fun never really goes above a certain value, whereas Portal and Portal 2 are much shorter, but are much more fun over the same duration.

But, it's all opinionated. I have a feeling Portal 2 is going to be my GOTY this year, many others will feel ME3 or Skyrim are better, I personally highly doubt I will, mostly due to my preferring FPS to RPG-style games, but Portal 2 also to me personally offers much more fun for the duration of the game. Not to mention the custom maps people can create increase replayability......hell, I plan to replay Portal 2 after I finish it just for the dev commentary anyway.....not something I would really do in an RPG game once I've gotten through the story.

Despite what game takes home GOTY, Portal 2 will definitely be one of my favorite games. Honestly, even with ME3 and Skyrim looming in the distance, I am not as excited for them as I was for Portal 2. As for AoK, I am not as excited for it as I was Portal 2, but more excited for it than I am for ME3 or Skyrim. I had more fun with the original than I did with any of the ME and Elder Scrolls series games....so by default I am expecting its sequel to be better than ME3 and Skyrim (for me personally...no doubt others will feel ME3 or Skyrim are GOTY).

O yeah it'll be up there and will take home some awards just not the majority.

Not really, rumors are X360 version might be even coming late this year, with PS3 version afterwards.

CD Projekt clarifies Witcher 2 console talk

Work won't begin on a console version of The Witcher 2 until the flagship PC release has happened, CD Projekt has explained to Eurogamer.

When that day comes, plans will be laid out for the new project, which may gain additional content beyond that of The Witcher 2 on PC.

Importantly, however, The Witcher 2 will be the same game on console as it is on PC. It won't be The Witcher 3.

[...]

"We won't wait to see how well The Witcher 2 does on PC first," he added. "After we release The Witcher 2 on PC we just sit down with Excel or Project and make schedules, make plans. Then we will be totally glad to announce what is coming out; we know what team we have, what capacity we have, but we still have to plan out the amount of work. Then we will tell the world what we plan to do and 'it will be that day of release', potentially."

Full article @ Eurogamer

Gop went on to reveal that "no", the console version wasn't in production - "at least not officially".

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-04-27-cd-projekt-clarifies-witcher-ii-console-talk

?It?s the first console project we would like to do,? he explained, adding that the console port is actually already playable in part.

http://www.vg247.com/2011/01/27/cd-projekt-the-witcher-2-designed-with-console-in-mind/

The more I see of this game the more unsure I become, I went from definite buy to hmm maybe I'll wait, I can understand why they're changing the game so much not a lot of people liked the first Witcher but personally I loved it and I hate change hopefully it's an amazing game. :whistle:

The Witcher 2 has gone gold!

We have some excellent news to share with our fans here on TheWitcher.com. The gold master version has been approved and has gone to production. Like you, the entire team here at CD Projekt Red is getting more and more excited as we move closer to our release date, May 17. So, we?re thrilled to tell you we have passed this very important milestone.

http://tw2.thewitcher.com/news/2011/4/5505525

well, seeing as i can't complete the first one after over 30 hours invested due to poor quest scripting, missing mission characters and horrible difficulty spikes, i'm excusing myself from the purchasing the sequel.

well, seeing as i can't complete the first one after over 30 hours invested due to poor quest scripting, missing mission characters and horrible difficulty spikes, i'm excusing myself from the purchasing the sequel.

They did mention that the new game would be a lot better, you need the enhanced edition as well as wikia the problem is certain characters will only show up at a set time which is quite stupid they also don't always tell you the time, never noticed the massive difficulty spikes if your playing on hard then you'll have to use bombs, blade coatings, potions etc. diamond dust + argentia = 100% extra damage with silver swords.

There's some decent potions etc. you don't get till later but you can still make them by going to the wikia site.

White Raffard's Decoction; Instantly restores HP.

Swallow; Increases HP regen.

Full Moon; Potion which doubles your HP.

Argentia; Damage increased by 60%

I'm expecting a lot of broken quests on release*, which might take a long time before they're all fixed, and as I've mentioned previously, I'm not sure just how much improved the writing is, and it needs to be for me to purchase it. So I'm not pre-purchasing, even if that might end up wasting me 5$. Buying this game now is still taking a risk and I'd rather risk 5$ than 45$.

*Even Baldur's Gate 2 had tons of bugs on release (and even after all patches). RPGs are the worst offenders when it comes to bugs.

i'm with Asik, better wait for extensive feedback on this one.

thanks for the input Lovell, but i am playing the fully patched enhanced edition (got it from the Steam Xmas sales). Level 17 with 40% plus damage on both swords, swallow, food, potions for endurance regen and more...going into the Gold Rush Vivaldi and Sons bank fight i die in like six seconds against the scoiatel (spl?). also, both Angus and Loevaarden are simply missing from my campaign, and i have indeed consulted the wiki and other sources. they're just gone. shoddy programming makes for a very random experience. it's sad because i love the look and feel of the game, and i really enjoy the characters, conversations, locations etc. but there's no way i'm getting the sequel if it's even remotely as bad technically as the first.

So who's happy that they pre-order The Witcher 2 early? I know I am, especially after the massive price jump. $49.99 (with 10% discount) on Steam to $74.99.

:laugh: Its way way way cheaper on Amazon and Play.