The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

384945184.png
307779826.png

Developer: CD Projekt RED
Publisher: Atari (North America), CD Projekt (Central Europe), 1C Company (Russia)
Engine: RED Engine
Release Date: May 17, 2011
Genre: Role-Playing Game

Description:

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is an upcoming role-playing video game and a sequel to The Witcher, developed by Polish studio CD Projekt RED for Microsoft Windows. While the game is being published by CD Projekt itself in Central Europe and Digital Distribution sites, distribution in North America will be handled by Atari. Publisher for West Europe will be NAMCO BANDAI. [Source]

Features:

Immersive Mature Expansive Non-Linear Story
Complex, expansive adventure in which every decision may have grave consequences. An intense, emotionally charged, nonlinear story for mature players, offering over 40 hours of gameplay, 4 different beginnings and 16 different endings. Make choices that really matter. Your decisions impact relations with other characters and entire communities, and may also influence the political situation in the Northern Kingdoms.1

Dynamic tactical combat system
Spectacular, dynamic, brutal combat system featuring numerous tactical options, including advanced monster fighting technique. Combine real-time interactive moves like parry, dodge and riposte with combat based on RPG character traits to succeed in battle. New combat elements include ranged weapons (daggers and bombs), traps and bait, the magic Heliotrope Sign as well as the ability to sneak up on and launch non-lethal attacks on your foes.2

Realistic vast game world
Exceptionally realistic, vast game world, teeming with its own life. Explore numerous, highly varied locations, including the mighty La Valette Castle, the bustling dwarven mining town of Vergen, multiple border garrisons and fortresses, ancient forests, and the vibrant trading post and river port of Flotsam.3

New cutting-edge technology
CD Projekt RED in-house technology ? the REDengine, which adjusts the quality of graphics to the computer's efficiency and allows you to enjoy the gameplay even when using the minimal configuration: Dual-Core 2GHz CPU; 2GB RAM; Graphics card GeForce 8800 / 512MB or equivalent.4

Story:

WORLD
After helping to stop the rebellion undertaken by the Order of the Flaming Rose and saving King Foltest's life, Geralt became one of the central figures of political turmoil in the Kingdom of Temeria. Geralt continues to protect the King in the monarch's mission to bring peace to his state. The last bastions of the Order yielded to the royal army. The only remaining task is to pacify the rebellious castle of Baroness La Valette, who announced separation from the Kingdom. It's been a month since the attempted assassination of the king, when his army arrives at the gates of Baroness La Valette's fortress in preparation for the final battle. In the meantime, Geralt, stuck with Foltest, cannot begin his personal quest - to discover the origin and identity of the mysterious witcher-like assassin...1

HERO
You are a witcher, a mutant. The sooner you accept this, the better. People will seek you out for your skills, but you must know to disappear when your presence is no longer desired. You are unique, different. This puts you in the same precarious position as non-humans who find themselves impaled or hanging from nearby trees. That they exist and are different triggers resentment, animosity and hatred among common folk, who will use any pretext to show them their proper place. How is it then that witchers, while equally non-human and different, do not share the fate of these poor devils? The answer is twofold.
First, relatively few of you walk this earth. Therefore, one is far more likely to encounter an elf than a monster-slayer such as yourself. And second, you possess a couple of rather forceful deterrents, a solid sword and a simple set of life rules.

Your blades are your lifeline. It's therefore unsurprising that your ability to wield them is renowned, or that very few are keen or even willing to risk their lives by engaging you in combat. Still, your prowess has not led to arrogance. Neither do you revert to force when it isn't necessary. As long as even a small possibility remains of resolving a conflict by other means, you sheathe your sword rather than tempt fate. However, you are unrelenting and without remorse when you must fight. You're no saint, and not out to save the world. Ultimately, you simply want to survive while remaining true to your profession.2

Links:

DLC information:

System requirements:

Minimum requirements:

Processor: Core 2Duo 2.2 GHz or dual core AMD 2.5 GHz
RAM: 1 GB Windows XP, 2 GB Windows Vista/7
Graphics: GeForce 8800 512 MB or Radeon (HD3850 512 MB)
HDD Space: 16 GB

Recommended requirements:

Processor: Quad Core Intel or AMD
RAM: 3 GB Windows XP, 4 GB Windows Vista/7
Graphics: GeForce 260 1 GB or (HD4850 1 GB)
HDD Space: 16 GB

Benchmark:

Screenshots:

Videos:

Assassins of Kings

I played the first Witcher, and it was good but it did have its flaws. The new one looks to be much better, so I'm excited. (Y) The graphics are much improved, but I hope they improved the performance of the engine. The first game didn't run very well on my desktop, which was beefy enough to handle it.

Assassins

I played the first Witcher, and it was good but it did have its flaws. The new one looks to be much better, so I'm excited. (Y) The graphics are much improved, but I hope they improved the performance of the engine. The first game didn't run very well on my desktop, which was beefy enough to handle it.

The "s" was already there. :whistle:

I agree. CD Projekt RED developed their own engine this time around instead of using an updated version of BioWare's Aurora engine. They also developed it with consoles in mind so I imagine performance won't be an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

My goodness. This game is simply amazing. Check out this presentation (at the 25-minute mark):

Despite the flaws, the original is easily one of my favourite rpg's/games of all time, even if this was exactly the same as the first but with a new story i'd be hyped. Graphics look great though. Any word on if the collectible taro **** cards are back ? lol

Assassins of Kings

The first one was running heavily modified version of Bioware's Aurora engine. This one is using completely new engine.

• 2 weeks later...

Good, though its gameplay is slightly more suited for console controllers (that is the joystick movement and all), I'm glad to hear the game won't be a console port or be limited on the PC so it runs the same on consoles.

CD Projekt RED is a PC developer first. If they were to make a console version, it would be a port of the PC version (and not the other way around). Still, it's possible that they'd limit the PC version so it matches the console version on some level (much like what they've done with Crysis 2).

CD Projekt RED is a PC developer first. If they were to make a console version, it would be a port of the PC version (and not the other way around). Still, it's possible that they'd limit the PC version so it matches the console version on some level (much like what they've done with Crysis 2).

I know, and I really hope they don't go the route of limiting the PC version. Just growing tired of all these games coming out that were limited due to or ported from console versions. I can understand wanting to keep gameplay similar, but reducing draw distance or reducing graphical quality on the PC version just so they don't have to add that in when they do the console version is BS IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

Collectors edition contents have been leaked from early mistake listing on gamestop.

e4Ax2.jpg

The Vernon Roche Commando Jacket, which is:

Available only in Collector's Edition

Unique item, obtained through one of the early-on quests

Very valuable object, that when equipped noticeably boosts player's sword-fighting abilities.

Customization-wise, one of the best jackets the player will be able to find throughout the game (especially for sword-related character build).

Making-of DVD

Official Soundtrack

World Map

Art Book

Geralt Sculpture

Temerian Coin

Dice Set

3 Stickers

Playing Cards and Rulebook

Cursed Coin and Pamphlet

Two Papercraft Figures + Bonus

130$

edit: And the premiere has benn delayed till May 17, 2011

Official requirements:

Windows XP/Vista

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz / AMD equivalent

RAM 1 GB Win XP / 2 GB Win Vista

Nvidia GF 8800 512 Mb / ATI equivalent

HDD 8GB game files + 8 GB bonus content

pretty low :)

Sweet, only 6 more months until release......Those requirements are quite low, but remember, they are requirements, not recommended. Still surprising considering I just watched the video yesterday of them saying they do not know the requirements for the game, and that video was uploaded only like a week ago. Guess they were a lot close to being done than they let on in that video.

Either way, can't wait for this. I love games that ignore the stigma that nudity has (granted it will likely have a higher rating), not only for the nudity, but its sort of refreshing to see how much more realistic a game can be when things like nudity are used correctly (like the women being held in the dungeon and what not, in that day and age that is how you would expect a female prisoner to be treated).