Windows Live Messenger for Zune released

This gives us a good look into what WLM on WP7 will look like, which is good IMO. Also those saying why it took so long, I doubt it took long per se, they probably didn't start work on it till they got the desktop Wave 4 bits locked down. They've also been working on the iPhone and Android apps as well, you can't say the Live team has been sitting around doing nothing you know.

It won't let me sign-in...

Has anyone actually got this to work?

in the sign-in screen, click the big arrow

What's stopping you from sending it back? lol

it looks very nice, connects with FB and anything social msn connects with

Seems it won't let me chat for some odd reason. I keep trying to chat with Facebook friends and it opens the chat screen, but I can't type anything (and it won't let me pull up the menu).

Edit: Now it's working... not sure why or what I did. Really does need a sideways keyboard, as well as spellcheck.

Cool, I know MS said this isn't a device for apps, and it's a media device, but it's good to see them adding new apps

in the sign-in screen, click the big arrow

Lol... thank you but I know how to use the application :)

As soon as I try to sign in I get an error that says "We can't sign you in... You could not be signed in. Make sure you are connected to the Internet, and try again later."

I'm not on my home network though so I can't troubleshoot network-related issues... but other apps work fine (Facebook, Marketplace, streaming music, etc.)

Cool, I know MS said this isn't a device for apps, and it's a media device, but it's good to see them adding new apps

Well lots of people wanted it, and since It's clear MS is making a WLM app for WP7 it probably didn't need much work (some small UI differences between the two), to get on the ZuneHD as well. Two birds with one stone basically.

Well lots of people wanted it, and since It's clear MS is making a WLM app for WP7 it probably didn't need much work (some small UI differences between the two), to get on the ZuneHD as well. Two birds with one stone basically.

Who wanted a WLM app? There's more demand for a youtube app, or flash/silverlight support.

Who wanted a WLM app? There's more demand for a youtube app, or flash/silverlight support.

On the ZuneHD? Well ya, but youtube has made it's way to WP7 already, as we've seen, and so should the rest. My point is that once you get it on WP7 then having it also support the ZuneHD takes little to no effort.

On the ZuneHD??? Well ya, but youtube has made it's way to WP7 already, as we've seen, and so should the rest.??My point is that once you get it on WP7 then having it also support the ZuneHD takes little to no effort.

As it happens it does - mainly considering the different set of API's available to each platform. They might both share the same kernel, but everything else from there is pretty different. Also, Zune HD apps are all done in XNA, not Silverlight (even though that does sound a bit mad), and I don't think anyone would make an application in XNA for WP7 just for Zune HD. And of course, they both run different versions of XNA anyway.?

When is the zune going to be released to the rest of the world other than the US, I would buy one like a shot, but it has never been marketed over here in the UK nor for that matter anywhere in the EU. If MS got their act together and marketed this, it would kill that crappy fruit company, maybe that's why they have the bite out of their logo, they know if some one else marked something that beat their products, it would eat them alive and swallow them whole?

As it happens it does - mainly considering the different set of API's available to each platform. They might both share the same kernel, but everything else from there is pretty different. Also, Zune HD apps are all done in XNA, not Silverlight (even though that does sound a bit mad), and I don't think anyone would make an application in XNA for WP7 just for Zune HD. And of course, they both run different versions of XNA anyway.?

Using XNA Studio 3.1 for making games/apps is what 3rd parties have to do, MS doesn't do that, they write native apps to the ZuneHD, like they write native apps for WP7. There could be some API dif between the two sure, but who knows how much is missing from the ZuneHD compared to WP7? I just think if they wanted to they'd "port" anything from the WP7 to the ZuneHD without much problem.

Using XNA Studio 3.1 for making games/apps is what 3rd parties have to do, MS doesn't do that, they write native apps to the ZuneHD, like they write native apps for WP7. There could be some API dif between the two sure, but who knows how much is missing from the ZuneHD compared to WP7? I just think if they wanted to they'd "port" anything from the WP7 to the ZuneHD without much problem.

They don't write native apps for Zune HD - the only native app is the browser. You see that loading animation for Zune HD apps? That'd be the compact XNA framework loading - though it's not exactly the same version of XNA that we get to play with as hobbyists. You can also tell performance wise and animation wise, that none of these are native (well, the 2D apps at least, as for what the 3D games are built on... possibly some halfway house between XNA 3.1 & 4.0?)