Apple's iPad is the hotcake of the 21st century

when i buy toys, er i mean elctronics, they have to have a role in my life and a purpose. my netbook takes a while to boot up because i shut it down fully after each session, but's it great for what it is and the price, and i wanted to be able to listen to music and browse from my porch, which it does awesomely. an ipad would be awkward for that, and as i understand it, i wouldbe unable to listen to music with one at the same time as browsing, not even sure if it's browser has tabs or not, and i like to keep my wlm client open in the background for email notifications and in case someone wants to IM me.

with any apple product, people tend to buy them because they're cool or trendy or hip or popular and then justify their function later. witht he ipod i had a great little mp3 player that did exactly what i wanted and i could change songs on it while i twas still in my pocket instead of needing to look at it like ipods did at the time(and as far as i know still do), and yet all my friends kids and family and friends wanted an ipod, which was bigger, clunkier controls special adapter to charge it or dock it, needed special software and so on. they tell me they bought another ipod because they washed it in the laundry, or it broke in their pocket or they dropped it and the screen shattered or so on. i washed my little mp3 player so many times, dropped it abused it had it in my pocket at all times becuase i used it as a watch, and it kept on working and lasted for years before washing it for the last time that killed the display, but it still played music just fine. but my friends kids and co workers just knew about hte ipod. i even got a xmas present from my work, a radio with an ipod dock, they didn't know it was incompatible with MY mp3 player, they just knew i had an "ipod"

it seems to go the same way with the ipad. there have been similar devices for years, i don't know how good they are, but as soon as apple brings out he ipad, now people think apple invented the tablet device and the ipad is the only tablet. people i've talked to who bought one; bought them then worked out a use for them. some of them aren't able to really explain what they do with them, or what their functionality is, or other stuff, they just know they're cool and are instant on and snappier than their laptops.

Dude...don't even bother with the apple zealots.

A colleague of mine is like that. He saw my kindle, and the first thing he asked was, why didnt I get an ipad. I explained that I prefer to have a dedicated gadget that excels at what it does. Explained how the e-ink is a better technology for reading, etc, etc.

I then asked him why he wants an ipad...he said it looks cool. :huh:

Call people what you like, its strange, but were not the ones calling people names or judging them on what they care to spend their money on. One wonders why it bothers you lot so much?

2012, microsoft creates the windows tablet, its cheaper, has a terrible gui , horrible design but its only $200...sales surge, people who buy macs are still considered stupid trend followers

2012 ? we are all going to be dead ...

Its annoying when friends and family do it since I am left supporting and showing them how to use the product.

Then don't if it bothers you so much.

2012 ? we are all going to be dead ...

Not until December.

It's a shame.

I bought an iPad after looking at the specs/design, and it fits my situation almost perfectly. Haven't used my netbook since.

I'm surprised that it sold so well, I wonder if the first adopters are actually buying more for family members. I've certainly considered it.

I've found that people with little computer experience, love it.

I love my iPad and I am an IT Pro. I know many others in the industry who have one.

Then don't if it bothers you so much.

Not until December.

Yeah, I agree with you.

I stopped paying attention to them, it's just another mainstream rebellion thing.

What is so "bad" about the iPad that people perceive it as cool? That it does the things it does quite well? ...

Few of my friends have the iPad and they love it. I played with it for quite a while and is a great product but I am still holding up for the 2nd gen...

I say buy what you want and what makes you happy. No need to justify your reasoning to someone else, especially when you use your own money.

The point is you will find these... should I call them laggards ... everywhere. The easy thing to do is ignore them and don't get all wound up about it :)

Cheers

I am really not impressed with it. When they add a camera to it, maybe, I'll consider getting one.

Then you won't have very long to wait :)

The next model is rumored to have two cameras.

I do see the tablet taking over the world, in time, but not just the iPad. I think the Android tablets will blaze ahead in the end.

The current problem with Android tablets is the horrible lack of standards. You have everything on the market from crappy Eken stuff running 1.5 (and those can't even be upgraded) to the nice Archos ones running 2.2. The hardware specs are equally as varied as well, so what works on one tablet may not work on another, or will work poorly.

The iPad is brilliant if you're used to an iPhone for using apps and browsing the internet on, it's just so much more fluid and simple to use. The extra space you get is just lovely.

But it is in no way a replacement for a computer.

I had one of those Netbook, upgraded it to the max and DARN it was slow at everything. Yeah, It ran a real OS, but I do much more now with my iPad. Instant ON is a killer feature.

Depends what you use it for. If you try to use it as a normal computer, then yeah, it will disappoint. If you had tried to use it the same way as you use your iPad, it would have been fine.

You can't beat the ability to have a full web-browser, word processor, keyboard, webcam, video player etc. Not to mention, you can do full-fledged PC tasks (photo editing etc) in a pinch.

I played with an iPad at the Apple store for about half an hour. The experience was really cool, but frankly, thats all. Nothing there made me want to drop $500 on one and ditch my netbook.

Plus the added point that trying to type anything at length with a touchscreen keyboard will become rather irksome. If I had to type out an essay on an iPad, I think i'd take out wrist and finger insurance before I attempted it.

If you had tried to use it the same way as you use your iPad, it would have been fine.

I disagree, my netbook was usable but sometimes annoyingly slow for internet browsing, and the resolution was a pain in the ass.

I can also switch between applications, like email and browser just as quick on the iPad :laugh:

There is now a VLC app in the app store too.

I disagree, my netbook was usable but sometimes annoyingly slow for internet browsing, and the resolution was a pain in the ass.

I can also switch between applications, like email and browser just as quick on the iPad :laugh:

There is now a VLC app in the app store too.

The resolution was practically the same on your netbook as the iPad 1024x768 vs 1024x600

The resolution was practically the same on your netbook as the iPad 1024x768 vs 1024x600

ipad user:i had a netbook but the screen was too small.

netbook user: lol wut?

question: can a ipad play streaming music at the same time as you browse the internet with an IM client open in the background?

aside from teh fact that from what i hear youtube's html5, on the select videos that support it is, is even harder on system resources than flash. and i like to switch between streaming music from youtube and streaming music from my desktop. and do either at the same time as i browse.

not to mention i rely on tactile feedback for fast typing, and don't like touch screen interfaces even when the response is instant.

iPad resolution is 1024x768 or 768x1024.

768 allows full width of sites, and 1024 means a lot less scrolling.

Not exactly comfortable to use a netbook in portrait.

iPad resolution is 1024x768 or 768x1024.

768 allows full width of sites, and 1024 means a lot less scrolling.

Not exactly comfortable to use a netbook in portrait.

actually most forums on that resolution would mean about the same amount of scrolling considering their content would be squished into a longer vertical format, causing you to see about the same amount of content on your screen in either portrait or landscape view.

on my ~10" netbook, most websites fit perfect into screen horizontally speaking, and most modern forums have functionality to cut down on scrolling once you've reached the bottom of the page, not to mention there are other tricks you can do such as having the root forums or subforums you use frequently bookmarked in yoru bookmark toolbar for fast returns and refreshes after reading all new posts. i do this for a couple forums i visit on my desktop as well to cut down on scrolling.

ipad might be better better in teh scrolling department assuming the mutli touch functionality really is as good as everyone claims, which i believe. only laptop i ever had with decent mutli touch was a dell with scrollbars painted on the touch pad where you would gesture speciifcally for scrolling of pages. the mutli touch on my netbook is so bad i use a mouse for it. but i much prefer mice over even properly functioning touch pads anyway.

The current problem with Android tablets is the horrible lack of standards. You have everything on the market from crappy Eken stuff running 1.5 (and those can't even be upgraded) to the nice Archos ones running 2.2. The hardware specs are equally as varied as well, so what works on one tablet may not work on another, or will work poorly.

Yeah, I agree. It's early days for the Android tablets yet. It's only a matter of time before someone builds a winner, though.