Apple's iPad is the hotcake of the 21st century

Yeah, I agree. It's early days for the Android tablets yet. It's only a matter of time before someone builds a winner, though.

What I'm shocked at is how long it took before a company came out with an Android based device comparable to the iPod touch. The first ones I've seen are from Archos, and they only recently came out (in fact, the 4.3" version still isn't available in their store yet). The specs on the 3.2" version are pretty nice, but a little shy of the current model iPod touch (although it does cost a little less). The 2.8" model, IMHO, is an absolute joke, but at least they got it out at a decent price. Their larger tablets are decent competition for the iPad, but unless I'm mistaken, they only support wifi, not 3G.

The Eken tablets are even more of a joke than the 2.8" Archos; underpowered and running an outdated version of the OS with no hope of an update.

Plus the added point that trying to type anything at length with a touchscreen keyboard will become rather irksome. If I had to type out an essay on an iPad, I think i'd take out wrist and finger insurance before I attempted it.

That's exactly why Apple sells a keyboard for it.

What I'm shocked at is how long it took before a company came out with an Android based device comparable to the iPod touch. The first ones I've seen are from Archos, and they only recently came out (in fact, the 4.3" version still isn't available in their store yet). The specs on the 3.2" version are pretty nice, but a little shy of the current model iPod touch (although it does cost a little less). The 2.8" model, IMHO, is an absolute joke, but at least they got it out at a decent price. Their larger tablets are decent competition for the iPad, but unless I'm mistaken, they only support wifi, not 3G.

I've been looking at their 10' version. I think I could live with that. Being Wifi would not bother me since that is how I would use it but I don't think it's for sell just yet. I tried to play with a 5" version in my local Best Buy the other day and it kept crashing. I never could get it running enough to tell if it was Android or Windows powered.

question: can a ipad play streaming music at the same time as you browse the internet with an IM client open in the background?

Yep, it can with the new 4.2 software update which is currently in beta. I believe it's supposed to be released in November sometime.

I think of the iPad as a trend schmuck device.

Yeah. The iPad is gay. It would be a cool little device for 300 or so, but 600?!?! COME ON!! at that price point it's pretty much for idiots with too much money.

That's exactly why Apple sells a keyboard for it.

And then you will have to buy the stand as well, as typing and holding the device would be impossible. As if paying out more for less functionality than a laptop wasn't bad enough as it is.

And then you will have to buy the stand as well, as typing and holding the device would be impossible. As if paying out more for less functionality than a laptop wasn't bad enough as it is.

The keyboard has the stand built in, hence the name Apple iPad Keyboard Dock.

Is it really that hard to open the link and look at a picture?

I like the Ipad form factor but I think lot more work could be done to the Ipad in the UI department. Row Icons works for an Iphone, But I don't think it works for device as large as the Ipad. I also think pen input along with multitouch would great on such a device.

Yeah. The iPad is gay. It would be a cool little device for 300 or so, but 600?!?! COME ON!! at that price point it's pretty much for idiots with too much money.

Damn idiots with more money than me! Grrr I hate them sooooooooo much!

The century is 1/10th over, and really don't think we have seen the "hotcakes" product yet. I can't just go out and get some, like i could hotcakes, they are much too expensive.

I agree... It's just like when a movie comes out, and they say "the best movie of the year" even though the new year came about last month... It's like, wtf?

They need to say the best movie so far...

Actually I saw some girl in one of my classes do just that. A iPad with a keyboard+stand. Looked pretty nice to be honest. Taking notes on a device with decent battery life and barely any heat on their laps.

A bit costly yes, but there are advantages nevertheless.