Sparrow (Mail Alternative)

Ah, I didn't notice that. What the **** are they thinking releasing an e-mail client that doesn't support POP3 and IMAP???? You can't really consider it a "Mail alternative" if it doesn't support basic features like that.

Yeah, seriously?

The interface is nice and all, it really reminds me of the iPad?s Mail which I find superior to OS X?s Mail (for emailing I mean), but without POP3 and IMAP, they will never get any user.

That makes me wonder if they want to make the iPad technologies "go back to the Mac", will they reveal a new Mail application with a GUI similar to the one on the iPad, and then keep all the features it has like RSS and notes?

Yeah, seriously?

The interface is nice and all, it really reminds me of the iPad?s Mail which I find superior to OS X?s Mail (for emailing I mean), but without POP3 and IMAP, they will never get any user.

That makes me wonder if they want to make the iPad technologies "go back to the Mac", will they reveal a new Mail application with a GUI similar to the one on the iPad, and then keep all the features it has like RSS and notes?

they got me, i love this app

As much as I like it, I doubt I'd spend money on an email client. A matter of opinion.

The reason I ask is because this pretty much offers nothing over Mail, apart from an interface you might like a bit more. The lack of POP3 and IMAP support is pretty laughable.

Same here btw.

The reason I ask is because this pretty much offers nothing over Mail, apart from an interface you might like a bit more. The lack of POP3 and IMAP support is pretty laughable.

Same here btw.

This thread keeps sprouting the same "no IMAP" posts.

Sparrow does have IMAP. This is how it currently integrates with Gmail. However, Google's IMAP implementation is quirky, non-standard. So Sparrow currently works with Gmail only. The Sparrow developers have said that it will eventually support standard IMAP implementations. It's just that the developers have decided to do Gmail first. They are probably Gmail users and had that itch to scratch. In any case there are tons of other email clients that do IMAP well. Not many do Gmail well (blame Google for this). If you are building a new mail client and want to find a niche, maybe Gmail integration is a good way to differentiate yourself?

I host my emails with Google Apps. I would pay for a rich desktop client that does Gmail better than Mail.app. It's no fault of Mail.app that Google take liberties with IMAP. However, this means that using Mail.app with Gmail is currently sub optimal. Quite frankly, I'd rather use the Gmail web interface. If Sparrow bridges the gap, I'll pay for it. I've also come to appreciate Gmail's threaded view, and I like that Sparrow does something similar.

• 3 months later...

As much as I hate to dig up old threads I figured I'd add this here.

Dom, an employee of Sparrow, replied to IMAP Support, an idea about Sparrow.

Hello everyone,

I am looking for dedicated private beta testers who are using a

Mobile Me,

Yahoo

AOL

or a custom IMAP account as their main mailbox.

We'll be testing Sparrow 1.1 integration of this providers soon and your help would be much welcome.

Drop me a mail at beta@sparrowmailapp.com if you are interested.

We need some heavy users of this providers to stress test Sparrow.

Kind regards,

Update

Thanks a lot to all of you who were quick to respond.

We still have room for some people in the Mobile Me and custom IMAP test.

We had nobody for AOL and Yahoo :( so if you're using it, contact us.

They're looking for people to test out general IMAP, so if you were interested before and didn't look any further due to IMAP support now might be the time to look them up again. I'm sure they'd love more people to help test it out. As Jase's images have gone boom I'll post this here for those who dont remember what it looks like:

Thread closed.

Whatis-Sparrow.png

Thread open

Threads.png

This thread keeps sprouting the same "no IMAP" posts.

Sparrow does have IMAP. This is how it currently integrates with Gmail. However, Google's IMAP implementation is quirky, non-standard. So Sparrow currently works with Gmail only.

So for all intents and purposes Sparrow doesn't support regular IMAP at the time of your writing.

So for all intents and purposes Sparrow doesn't support regular IMAP at the time of your writing.

My intent was to shed some light on the situation and to answer your question. I'm not going to argue semantics with you.

Pretty much, just leave the past be. This post was only updated so interested parties could check out the new beta and that is now closed to all but Yahoo and AOL users. Thanks to all interested parties that made their way over and contacted them for the beta.

Same here btw.

Same. I really do like the look of this application and would like to use it. But your post summarizes it for me.

My intent was to shed some light on the situation and to answer your question. I'm not going to argue semantics with you.

In this case considering it makes the difference between supporting only Gmail or Gmail and all other ISPs providing email through IMAP. Once again your post did nothing but to confirm what people were already saying: At the time of your writing Sparrow did not support regular POP3 and IMAP accounts.

In this case considering it makes the difference between supporting only Gmail or Gmail and all other ISPs providing email through IMAP. Once again your post did nothing but to confirm what people were already saying: At the time of your writing Sparrow did not support regular POP3 and IMAP accounts.

This issue was over in October, let it die and get on with your life. The current beta including open IMAP support is due to be released to the testers that signed up via email with Dom over the week. We'll (the people who managed to get in) hopefully have some thing to say here in a few days when they let us download it.

This issue was over in October, let it die and get on with your life. The current beta including open IMAP support is due to be released to the testers that signed up via email with Dom over the week. We'll (the people who managed to get in) hopefully have some thing to say here in a few days when they let us download it.

By the message you posted above, the issue still is not resolved because the new beta STILL won't support standard IMAP servers, only AOL, Yahoo, MobileMe and custom IMAP servers, and it still won't support POP3. That leaves most ISP based e-mail servers completely out, just as it was back then. How can you claim that the issue was over in October?

In the UK, it's the #1 Paid app, #3 grossing app (behind iPhoto and Aperture) and has 34 5-star reviews out of 44 (overall 4.5 stars). I would go for it but ?6 is a bit much for me right now.

In the UK, it's the #1 Paid app, #3 grossing app (behind iPhoto and Aperture) and has 34 5-star reviews out of 44 (overall 4.5 stars). I would go for it but ?6 is a bit much for me right now.

#4 Paid app; #7 grossing app in the German store.

I don't normally use a Mac, but that client is beautiful! It reminds me of Tweetie, but it's a little pricey for what it is, I'd say.