[Engadget] HP Slate to sell for a steep $800

2010-10-19hpslatep-1-1287690859.jpg

Nope, you're not dreaming, but feel free to pinch yourself, rub your eyes or take a cold shower! You've read right -- the HP Slate is finally official, and after all the teasing, back and forth, and (very recent) leaks, the Atom-powered, Windows 7 Slate will finally see the light of day -- though in a different way than originally intended. While the first videos released by HP may have made it seem like it would be for consumers, HP's tactfully changed its tune (don't forget it's got Palm / WebOS tablets on the way) and is now aiming the Slate at the enterprise and business market. Still, it will be available on HP's site for $799 to anyone who wishes to purchase one.

Full story: http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/21/hp-slate-finally-finally-official-rings-up-at-799/

that is a nice looking peice of hardware. looks like an iphone 4 with a diamond back (Y)

Agreed. (Y) But expensive :(

I hope the WebOS tablets are just as sexy (and cheaper).

Not bad, I'm gonna assume $800 = ?800 using the tech giant currency converter and that to me is expensive.

Basically this is the premium version, the webOS version will be more competitively priced, have flash based storage etc.

Basically this is the premium version, the webOS version will be more competitively priced, have flash based storage etc.

This is probably the plan, WebOS tablets as nice looking as that UI is and so on are lacking. Anyone even doing WebOS apps? I don't think anyone cares enough about HP at all to even bother really. So in the end it'll be limited to whatever it can do OoTB and what few devs do code for it, but if you want to do any desktop level work on the go then the higher end Win7 tablet is the better option for you.

Price

Specs

OS

Fail slate is fail.

Troll-B-Gone.jpg

Either contribute to the discussion, or just don't bother posting.

Back on-topic, $800 is quite steep, considering the specs make it seem like it's a netbook with a touchscreen instead of a keyboard and trackpad.

Who knows though, it might end up to be a brilliant product. The iPad is surprisingly good, but it suffers from Apple's ridiculous pricing as usual.

Troll-B-Gone.jpg

Either contribute to the discussion, or just don't bother posting.

Back on-topic, $800 is quite steep, considering the specs make it seem like it's a netbook with a touchscreen instead of a keyboard and trackpad.

Who knows though, it might end up to be a brilliant product. The iPad is surprisingly good, but it suffers from Apple's ridiculous pricing as usual.

Im sorry I get so tired of saying the same things time and time again, I thought a condensed version would save some sanity, seems not. So firstly, take a chill pill.

Secondly, O/S. Win7 has been shown time and time again to be ineffective for touch use, whilst it can do it and it does it better than previous versions of Windows its still not ideal and its still encumboured by an OS that is at its core not specifically designed for touch. Inking yes, touch no.

Even putting that point aside the choice of OS then ties into specs and you cannot match the ipad and other slates in terms of battery life with a full OS on current technology. This thing will get the same amount of battery life as every other win7 tablet and thats an average of 3hrs and a max of 4. Last time I checked the work day is a bit longer than 3hrs, businesses dont like to dick around with extra batteries and keeping the thing on a charger defeats the purpose. On top of that, whilst sleep is pretty descent its still not the instant on that the ipad and other slates have. Then to get that amazing amount of battery life they have had to use some pretty low specs, now whilst win7 will run on those specs again, its not smooth, its not fluent and its not ideal.

Lastly price tag, doesnt matter if you are going for consumers or business people have a mindset for what these devices are worth and its not in that price bracket. The only advantage this device has over a non-full OS unit is the ability to have apps running directly on it however even small businesses now makes good use of vpn tech thus not having outlook on my non-OS device is taken care of by using a vpn anyway which in a corp environment I would probably have to use anyway. Yes, VPN isnt conducive to photoshop but neither are these specs so apps that wont work well over vpn/remoting likely wont work well on it anyway.

This slate will be like every other Win7 slate and sell sweet fa and be forgotten about before we know it. Win7 slates are nothing more than niche market that MS keeps trying to tell us will become a serious competitor but the tech just isnt there for a full OS. MS' most dangerous mistake in this space has been not to purse an embedded compact slate or even a WP7 slate, both of which would address all those issues.

Thus in conclusion, as concisely mentioned in my first post, fail slate is fail.

Isn't the Galaxy tab more unless you get it through verizon and a contract? In which case it seems inline with others out there.

Secondly, O/S. Win7 has been shown time and time again to be ineffective for touch use, whilst it can do it and it does it better than previous versions of Windows its still not ideal and its still encumboured by an OS that is at its core not specifically designed for touch. Inking yes, touch no.

Even putting that point aside the choice of OS then ties into specs and you cannot match the ipad and other slates in terms of battery life with a full OS on current technology. This thing will get the same amount of battery life as every other win7 tablet and thats an average of 3hrs and a max of 4. Last time I checked the work day is a bit longer than 3hrs, businesses dont like to dick around with extra batteries and keeping the thing on a charger defeats the purpose. On top of that, whilst sleep is pretty descent its still not the instant on that the ipad and other slates have. Then to get that amazing amount of battery life they have had to use some pretty low specs, now whilst win7 will run on those specs again, its not smooth, its not fluent and its not ideal.

Lastly price tag, doesnt matter if you are going for consumers or business people have a mindset for what these devices are worth and its not in that price bracket. The only advantage this device has over a non-full OS unit is the ability to have apps running directly on it however even small businesses now makes good use of vpn tech thus not having outlook on my non-OS device is taken care of by using a vpn anyway which in a corp environment I would probably have to use anyway. Yes, VPN isnt conducive to photoshop but neither are these specs so apps that wont work well over vpn/remoting likely wont work well on it anyway.

It has a digitizer which makes it a tablet, not a slate. It's designed for work / taking down notes / drawing diagrams etc, not designed for couch surfing like the iPad.

Is the price steep, yes. But from a work environment this is a lot more useful than the iPad.

At least it can run a full-featured OS.

Which isn't necessarily a good thing. Windows and most Windows applications are poorly suited for a touch-only interface. Personally I'm a much bigger fan of more limited gadgets that have an interface tailor-made for touch, and I think most people feel the same. That's not to say there isn't a market for it, but I wouldn't consider it a direct competitor to a gadget like the iPad.