iPhone 4 internet issue

So anyway... I've been an iphone 3gs and now iphone 4 owner...

But ever since I got the iphone 4 a couple of weeks ago, it's battery would drain in 1 day. I then narrowed it to it being 3g/edge/internet, so I completely turned off internet. If I keep it off, battery is fine. If I turn it on and try to browse using safari it goes into a crazy loop "could not activate celular data" and the bars drop to 1 then back to full (with my carriers name "TIGO" coming and going). This happens randomly, eg I can maybe browse an hour without issues, but then it might happen even just after enabling data network and 3g

Anyway, I got the phone thru ebay, brand new only opened for JB and unlock ( as it's from ATT).

The only issue I can think off is that I cut the sim card myself to make it fit, though normal cellphone reception (calls and txts ) is alright (wifi works fine too), problem happens when trying to use 3g/edge.

Firmware 4.0.1 JB and unlocked with ultrasnow 1.1-1

Anyhow... i'm in central america hence why my carrier is "TIGO"

PS. what would be an active iPhone 4 forum ? eg I tried googling and came up with macrumors and hackintosh, though non of them seem very active :/ ( mods if asking this last part is not allowed, please just delete that part and not the whole thread :) )

Try reverting it back to the default NON-JB os and see if it makes a difference. I had the same issue on a phone I tried to JB (first and last attempt at that one).

One way to try to fix it is Try reseting your network settings.

It might of just corrupted your settings and runs that loop because it cant hold a steady connection.

To get there its Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

This will erase ALL NETWORK SETTINGS, 3g/edge/wifi. So get ready to reconnect to all the wifi networks you have.

But, it wont do anything else to your phone. I say try this first, might help you.

@tech greek hmmm can't do that as I don't have an original att sim card to re-activate in case :s

@sikh, when the signal goes crazy I get a "no service" and using "reset network settings" will get it back so in other words, already tried that, but thanks

@chrono, yeah I know FTL, but my local carrier doesn't have micro-sim ( and probably won't till 2020) and buyin a $20 microsim + shipping wasn't that tempting.

...really?

*insert facepalm image*

Its really not that hard of a process or a fail. Its what micro sims are anyway, except there "professional made cut".

He's just taking the middle man out and the fees. If you cut it right, which really isnt hard, it works great and all the time.

I thought my dad how to make micro sims so when he went overseas he could use his iphone 4, and it work flawlessly. He used prepaid sim cards cut down for the whole month he was there without ANY issues.

no not really I can go for 10min+ calls without any issues ( besided carrier signal obviously)

Sikh, precisely like I said in my first post, it's the only think I can think out, but almost ruled out. Though if all else fails, i'll buy another simcard ($1) and try cutting a new one. (though again every else works fine, eg calls, txting )

no not really I can go for 10min+ calls without any issues ( besided carrier signal obviously)

Sikh, precisely like I said in my first post, it's the only think I can think out, but almost ruled out. Though if all else fails, i'll buy another simcard ($1) and try cutting a new one. (though again every else works fine, eg calls, txting )

Might just be that your carrier cant support the constant 3g / edge connection? I do believe the iPhone is alittle heavier on internet usage then your normal phones, I say this some cheap prepaid companies in india didnt work well at all, but we counted it on cheap cards, even thou all the cards are the same. So then dad went is Telus or orange, i forgot whos big in india, put the card in after cutting it, and it held a constant data connection for the month. So idk what to tell you.

Do you know anyone else that has an iPhone 4? If so, see if you can use their sim card and see if you have the same problem just to rule it out, Maybe you have a defective unit?

Sikh, thanks. Though maybe I should add my previous iPhone 3GS worked fine with that carrier, so that would discard that option, but thanks anyway! keep shooting as I'm all out of ideas :/

StandinginAlley yeah I would say so too, because ultra snow had several issues on ios4 ( battery draining for one), but no way to know for sure until iOS 4.1 is unlocked :/

StandinginAlley yeah I would say so too, because ultra snow had several issues on ios4 ( battery draining for one), but no way to know for sure until iOS 4.1 is unlocked :/

4.1 Is already unlocked. Check out LimeRa1n and Greenpois0n. Also TinyUmbrella to save baseband.

Do you know anyone else that has an iPhone 4? If so, see if you can use their sim card and see if you have the same problem just to rule it out, Maybe you have a defective unit?

Sadly I don't, iPhones are hard to come by here...

Bumpage anyone?