Fusion OS

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

Sorry it has been so long since I have posted an update! Everything is going well on the project is still very much on track. We are working very very hard on the Release Candidate and it is coming along nicely. We need some feedback though.

Should we...

- Switch to Gnome Shell for Fusion Desktop Environment

(You have seen our designs, imagine Gnome Shell Fusionized with Glass and our themes and all, it would be a custom fork of Gnome Shell)

Pros: App Support, Unified look, Easy, Very Well Interated

Cons: 3D Acceleration required, App Centric, Big Transition

- Stay based on Gnome 2.X

Pros: Farmiliar, Customizable

Cons: No New App Support, Not Unified (Multiple windows), Old version

- Keith.

Switch to gnome shell:

-It'll soon be able to run on non-3d accelerated hardware.

-You can add a dock and a few extensions to make the gap between the classic desktop and the iPad Gnome Shell experience smaller.

Personally, I am for the creation of new "distro" that provide users a new experience. Why would someone develop a brand new OS, when Linux, BSD and Windows exists.Creating a new "distribution" is a great learning experience and some people might use that one as their primary OS.Have fun with your Fusion OS project.</p>

Testing out a Gnome Shell version of Fusion. Here is the first shot. We havent done that much with it yet but its a start!

Looks really nice. Is that a modified zukitwo shell theme? I like the changes to the colors and panel, its default panel was too small and made the icons all blurry.

Testing out a Gnome Shell version of Fusion. Here is the first shot. We havent done that much with it yet but its a start!

I was looking back at the screenshots of the gnome 2 based Fusion OS, and since people seemed to have liked the way you arranged the desktop, here's two suggestions you might find useful:

-look into DockBarX; it used to be a panel applet for gnome2, but nowadays it can be used as a standalone dock; very customizable, full support for unity quicklists, unity progress bars, unity badges, dockmanager support (docky badges)

-look into the classic systray extension for gnome shell

The reason I'm mentioning this is that if you put some effort in it (mostly skinning dockbarx), you can achieve basically the exact same look you had in the previous Fusion OS - a panel at the top to hold the notification area, clock etc, and a bit larger panel at the bottom to hold the app icons and be in charge of window management (and as much as I like gnome shell I find the lack of a proper visible dock a huge flaw).

Not saying you should do any of that of course :) who knows what you may come up with, but just wanted to let you know that achieving the same look you had shouldn't be a problem at all, if you believe you've found your niche with the previous look of Fusion.

I was looking back at the screenshots of the gnome 2 based Fusion OS, and since people seemed to have liked the way you arranged the desktop, here's two suggestions you might find useful:

-look into DockBarX; it used to be a panel applet for gnome2, but nowadays it can be used as a standalone dock; very customizable, full support for unity quicklists, unity progress bars, unity badges, dockmanager support (docky badges)

-look into the classic systray extension for gnome shell

The reason I'm mentioning this is that if you put some effort in it (mostly skinning dockbarx), you can achieve basically the exact same look you had in the previous Fusion OS - a panel at the top to hold the notification area, clock etc, and a bit larger panel at the bottom to hold the app icons and be in charge of window management (and as much as I like gnome shell I find the lack of a proper visible dock a huge flaw).

Not saying you should do any of that of course :) who knows what you may come up with, but just wanted to let you know that achieving the same look you had shouldn't be a problem at all, if you believe you've found your niche with the previous look of Fusion.

Thanks for your reply and suggestions! I have already implemented the Classic Tray extention, and I was thinking about using either Docky, or DockBarX. I agree that it is a flaw that there is no visible taskbar or dock. Its a flaw by deisgn but not a very productive one. I will upload another screenshot soon of our progress!

- Keith.

Looks really nice. Is that a modified zukitwo shell theme? I like the changes to the colors and panel, its default panel was too small and made the icons all blurry.

No, we started witht the Faience Shell theme for a base, mainly becuase I really liked how the theme is written. There are different theme files for each component and it makes it very clean and modular. I agree about the panel the size of it has been increased to 27px apposed to ~23 the small things make all the difference. :D

Here is the latest screenshot as promised. You can see that we are working on the bottom taskbar, which is based on DockBarX, and will be themed extensivley so that there are no inconsistencies between it and Gnome Shell. We are going to implement it as deeply as possible but also make it easy to turn off if you dont want to use it. By the way we have gained speed and responsivness even through the transition from Gnome 2 to Gnome 3 and Gnome Shell, even over the Gnome 2 based RC1. As you can imagine RC1 is now going to be an even larger jump for Fusion than previously stated. Please keep your suggestions coming! If you want to see something please let us know!

post-323196-0-66884200-1321922966_thumb.

With the amount of change coming, shouldn't you have another beta, rather than an RC?

We are still debating this, as we said we wouldnt have anymore Betas. But I agree since it is such a large change there are bound to be bugs no matter how hard we try to iron them all out on the first go round.

ITT: Linux with a nice skin.

If you would read through the thread, you would see this project is much more than that. Look back a couple pages and see our plans for apps, and there are many apps being worked on that arent talked about yet. Dont make judgements before you know the facts.

Here is the latest screenshot as promised. You can see that we are working on the bottom taskbar, which is based on DockBarX, and will be themed extensivley so that there are no inconsistencies between it and Gnome Shell. We are going to implement it as deeply as possible but also make it easy to turn off if you dont want to use it. By the way we have gained speed and responsivness even through the transition from Gnome 2 to Gnome 3 and Gnome Shell, even over the Gnome 2 based RC1. As you can imagine RC1 is now going to be an even larger jump for Fusion than previously stated. Please keep your suggestions coming! If you want to see something please let us know!

The best looking Gnome Shell desktop I've seen so far. For reals, I thought Linux Mint was promising to bring a "sane" gnome shell experience but their desktop looks really inconsistent and busy, this looks way, way nicer. Btw, I'm quite glad you chose DockBarX, it fixes one of the fundamental flaws of the gnome shell design, and that is missing notifications, at least that's the thing that bugged me the most, the badges in DockBarX really help imo because I can tell if something changed at a quick glance.

I had to dump Linux for the time being since I'm having a regression with my wifi card and it won't work (grrr), but I'll be glad to test this in VirtualBox when it comes out. Keep up the work, I was skeptical during the Gnome 2 days of Fusion OS, but this is starting to shape up really nicely.

Another thing I just remembered, when I installed Ubuntu 11.10, 3D acceleration worked out of the box, which is crazy because I use an Nvidia card -- seems that Nouveau (or whatever it's spelled) has come a long way in short time period, which is important for you because it means plenty more people will be able to experience the desktop properly without having to install proprietary drivers first.

Since gnome 3 dropped compiz, can you figure out a way to get similar effects?

I tried to use mutter/clutter and it just didn't work.

We are working on finding a solution / workaround to this. Or we will try and work with Mutter to get Compiz-like animations.

I aslo say this should be another beta, because IMO RC usually means it's already been feature frozen

and seeing as you jumped complete kernel versions since the last beta, I'd say that's pretty far from being feature frozen.

so I'd say one more beta release should be fine to help fine tune things

btw, that last screenshot looks beautiful, you guys have made some great progress on the gnome 3 shell in such a short amount of time, keep up the good work :)

If you would read through the thread, you would see this project is much more than that. Look back a couple pages and see our plans for apps, and there are many apps being worked on that arent talked about yet. Dont make judgements before you know the facts.

Yes professor. That didn't even make you sound like a ###### in the slightest.

I agree with pushing back to beta and moving to gnome shell. Better to get the work done now then later down the track while you are trying to get public support.

I've watched this thread whenever it's come up on the ticker. I must say at the start I was HUGELY unimpressed with it. I thought it was a lot of talk and not much else, but as it's progressed I am coming to like your work.

Where can I grab a copy to test?