Fusion OS

I download the file and changed the file extension to .iso.

Nero will not let me burn the iso to a DVD and Nero will not let me burn the image to a cd. Says too big for cd.

What's the problem?

If people don't want to learn how a new OS works and expect everything to be exactly the same they should just stick with Windows.

However, if you can make a new OS, and give it a familiar UX, why not? There's no point in being different for the sake of different

I download the file and changed the file extension to .iso.

Nero will not let me burn the iso to a DVD and Nero will not let me burn the image to a cd. Says too big for cd.

What's the problem?

Burn it to a dvd or use virtualbox.

I changed it to iso and ran with virtual box, but it was SLOW my god it was insane. And I think it just stopped installing or working. :( I really wanna try this. In the installer it has a screenshot of ubuntu btw. lol

Here is the update that was promised! :) I will be posting a screenshot below, and I am going to post the Minimum Requirements for Fusion OS alpha 1. The User Interface here, as I said before is about 45% done. We will be replacing the Ubuntu logo with our new official logo (I will post that also) and the panels will be tweaked in ways such as: layout, applets, and overall design. Also if you notice the way the windows are displayed in the bottom panel, that will also be getting a skin. Fusion OS by default will use the Metacity Composition Engine to create drop shadow, and overall a better experience. With higher end hardware though you will be able to enable Compiz Fusion effects as well. The minimum requirements are as follows:

? 1 GHz 32-bit or 64-bit Processor

? 1GB of system memory (RAM)

? 10Gb of hard drive space

? Graphics card capable of 1024x768 resolution

? A CD/DVD drive or USB port (for installation)

Thanks for reading, and we will be posting more updates as they come. So stay tuned for more!

- Keith Wright

fusionosfpr201011031730.th.png fusionlogo.png

Crap! Just cancelled download, and it was coming pretty fast too, as those specs are WAY above the computer I was hoping to try this on, as far as ram and processor. :(

I'd tend to disagree with that, one of the things a lot of Windows users complain about is a lack of familiarity.

Its basically a reverse Vista style start menu. I think the creators of this are doing extremely well and can do better. Good luck guys :)

***WHEN DOWNLOADED CHANGE THE .ZIP EXTENSION TO .ISO SORRY ABOUT THAT< IT WAS A LAST MINUTE CHANGE!

This guy can't even rename a file on a remote server, and you people are installing something he's had a hand in?

Jeebus. You're all braver than I.

• Like 1

Yea I can rename a file but it won't let you download it as an iso. you don't need to be a troll. I'm not a moron I know how to rename a file on a server. ;)

Yea I can rename a file but it won't let you download it as an iso. you don't need to be a troll. I'm not a moron I know how to rename a file on a server. ;)

Why not just make a torrent of it and let us seed it?

Interface looks clean, but I see no real advantage to the OS yet though over ubuntu and Win2-7 icon pack.

I do enjoy this interface though, not sure functionality wise what its like.

One thing everyone loves about unix is the top bar with all its neatness.

If you want an OS to copy - do it with OSX. many features are already in unix, but their interface just works much smoother.

I do enjoy a bar over the dock thing OSX offers tho.

However, if you can make a new OS, and give it a familiar UX, why not? There's no point in being different for the sake of different

There's no point in exactly copying everything either as the product already exists. This offers no immediate advantages over the other.

Nero refuses to burn it to a DVD and I don't know what virtualbox is. Never used virtualbox.

Change the extension of the file you have downloaded.

to: fusionos.iso

And then burn the image with nero.

This is virtualbox: http://www.virtualbox.org/

Here is a nice tutorial: http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/using_virtualbox_to_run_ubuntu

If you need other you can find it using google.

Hey Everybody!

I just wanted to give a quick update we have currently served 36 downloads of Fusion OS, which I think is pretty good. (Consider its Beta and not complete). Also I have been reading through the thread and taking notes on the feedback, and created a concept image which just modifies the desktop that is in place now not a darastic change but I want opinions on it first wether we should pursue this concept or keep it the way it is now. Its really not that big of a change but I think it maks things a little more "accessible". Please post your thoughts! Also thanks for helping others out with problems they may be experiencing!

PS: This is a very basic concept.

Thanks,

- Keith.

fosnewconcept.png

^ i like it, though i also like the other way

what i'd suggest is an option so people can freely go back and forth between the two looks, that way everyone's happy :)

Hey Everybody!

I just wanted to give a quick update we have currently served 36 downloads of Fusion OS, which I think is pretty good. (Consider its Beta and not complete). Also I have been reading through the thread and taking notes on the feedback, and created a concept image which just modifies the desktop that is in place now not a darastic change but I want opinions on it first wether we should pursue this concept or keep it the way it is now. Its really not that big of a change but I think it maks things a little more "accessible". Please post your thoughts! Also thanks for helping others out with problems they may be experiencing!

Thanks,

- Keith.

fosnewconcept.png

Ruciz likes this

I really hate to be a buzzkill here, but after looking around with it installed on VMWare... I think someone spent a few minutes with susestudio, and build a halfassed linux dstro....

Do we really need another Linux distro? I mean really whats going to set this one apart from the rest? why not just put time into helping a already developed distro? Don't take this wrong I just think if your going to bring a new distro to the table it needs much more than a new modified UI.

Why not? Just because its there doesn't mean you HAVE to use it. But on another note, sometimes people want a project. Similar to "Do you really need another classic car? There are already hundreds restored out there, why not just pick one?". Pride of your own work :)

You've been showing us "a very basic concept" for six months now. Don't you have anything more to give us than something that largely exists out of two semi-transparent bars and a bunch of semi-transparent boxes? I stand with what I said a while ago: Everyone with basic Photoshop knowledge can whip up the same in probably less than 15 minutes. After six months I would have expected you to be finally past that. But here we are again with the same six semi-transparent boxes that have seen no fundamental changes, at all.

Sorry for being critical, again, truly I am, but downloading and installing this has been a waste of time. Which is a shame because I really wanted to give it a shot and provide some constructive feedback. Fact is - as pointed out relatively bluntly by Xerino - there's basically nothing in the build to give serious feedback on.

After seeing the above "mock-ups" it's becoming increasingly hard to take you or this project serious until something actually materializes.

Hey Everybody!

Thanks,

- Keith.

fosnewconcept.png

why are you making that basic concept in Photoshop when you can already create that EXACT thing in any gnome based distro, it's not even hard to do.

Please never use Imageshack to upload an image - it's awful, it's slow, filled with ads and really doesn't benefit anyone in this thread.

Try an use a different image uploader like Imgftw.net

Please never use Imageshack to upload an image - it's awful, it's slow, filled with ads and really doesn't benefit anyone in this thread.

Nothing wrong with imageshack, I see no ads and it loads fast this end

I've been using Imageshack for all my screen shots now and in the past, even in quite a few threads you were active in, and never heard you complain before. As long as you use the direct link I don't see anything wrong with it.