Fusion OS

Good job at copying the Windows Vista Start Menu, I guess? What else is there to say really...

There's not a shred of originality present in the screen shot, which is a shame really. Hell, you even stole the glass border around the user picture. :laugh:

We did not create that theme, fit is just a placeholder that is there right now just like the Gtk theme and metacity theme, many things are going to change but they are not quite easy for primetime yet, I'm sure if you dig around the filesystem when it is released tomrorrow you will find a few hidden things not yet available because they are either incomplete or buggy. We wanted ti mke this releas as stable as possible.the next beta will bring even more and greater changes to this beta. You just have ti be patient we are working on things we can't do everything at once. So once again things that are placeholders

- GTK theme

- Metacity window border

- the start menu

- and even the wallpaper ( although this may make it into the beta not sure yet on it's progress.)

Thanks,

Keith.

Why are you even showing us this when literally everything is a "placeholder"? There's no point in commenting at all as apparently everything will be replaced according to you (that's what "placeholder" means) and we still don't have a single clue what it will look like.

Not sure if you understand what I'm getting at here... I mean what exactly would you like us to test or comment on if everything is just a placeholder? That's not entirely clear to me.

Why are you even showing us this when literally everything is a "placeholder"? There's no point in commenting at all as apparently everything will be replaced according to you (that's what "placeholder" means) and we still don't have a single clue what it will look like.

Not sure if you understand what I'm getting at here... I mean what exactly would you like us to test or comment on if everything is just a placeholder? That's not entirely clear to me.

There is no substance to any of it. There never has been.

Can't stand these pointless threads. Start one if you actually have something to say or show, if you don't don't.

Can't stand these pointless threads, but yet you replied to it? No wonder you have 10,000+ posts, you post irrelevant replies to what you ASSume is an irrelevant thread!!

I wish the OP the best of luck, and if as someone already stated, the person is only 18, rock on, man!!

If this is a Linux based OS that will run sweet on an under powered computer, I have the perfect box to try it on.

Subscribing to this thread just for that reason.

Thanks

Edit:

The download link isn't working! :(

I like it, but I do hope the theme improves. Like the current unity themes in Ubuntu 10.10. I'd like something similar to those.

But also, will it feature something like Wubi? Or be able to boot from CD/USB?

Looks nice, but could really benefit from an improved window border and more compact nautilus (nautilus-elementary or similar)

Thank you and yes the window is not near final it is in this build if you can find it! (scavenger hunt!) but is not enabled. The next build will have this and will be availble in LESS THAN A MONTH!

Can't stand these pointless threads, but yet you replied to it? No wonder you have 10,000+ posts, you post irrelevant replies to what you ASSume is an irrelevant thread!!

I wish the OP the best of luck, and if as someone already stated, the person is only 18, rock on, man!!

If this is a Linux based OS that will run sweet on an under powered computer, I have the perfect box to try it on.

Subscribing to this thread just for that reason.

Thanks

Edit:

The download link isn't working! :(

Hi, first of all i want to thank you for your encouraging comment it really means a lot when people show interest in the project because there really is a lot of hard work put into it. And to answer your edit, the Download link wont be live until 6:00PM EST which is in about 55 minutes!

I like it, but I do hope the theme improves. Like the current unity themes in Ubuntu 10.10. I'd like something similar to those.

But also, will it feature something like Wubi? Or be able to boot from CD/USB?

Thank you, and yes as i said above the current theme is just a default Gnome theme. It will be able to boot from USB/CD and we are looking into a WUBI type solution for the windows daul boot users! Next build available in LESS THAN A MONTH!

Hey Everybody!

Just a quick update Fusion OS is currently uploading to the server so it will not be able to be downloaded at the scheduled time of 6:00PM EST it will be available ASAP it is 55% done uploading! More details soon!

- Keith.

FUSION OS DOWNLOAD NOW LIVE!

So for some reason you decided not to respond, but I'll ask you again: What do you want us to focus on when testing this because everything interface related is just a placeholder? Stability, applications, application support etc.? Also, will this work in a virtualized environment like VMware Fusion or does it rely on direct access to the GPU?

Do you always reply to posts nearly half a year old? We've moved on since, I suggest you do the same. Talking about irrelevant replies...

So for some reason you decided not to respond, but I'll ask you again: What do you want us to focus on when testing this because everything interface related is just a placeholder? Stability, applications, application support etc.? Also, will this work in a virtualized environment like VMware Fusion or does it rely on direct access to the GPU?

Do you always reply to posts six months old? We've moved on since, I suggest you do the same.

Sorry I forgot about your post. Yes I would like to make sure applications work, and the actual system bugs non interface related such as actual code bugs and stability issues. Yes this will work in a virtual environment and comes pre-loaded with VirtualBox drivers but im not sure if VMware will work with them but you can try, it does mostly rely on GPU acceleration but it doesnt require much it will just be no transparency (AKA ugly) if you dont have the driver enabled, and as far as i know VirtualBox is the only VM that supports Linux 3D compatibility. Also I am thinking of releasing a TEST PATCH its optional and will change the distro name and identifier but it will break a lot of compatibility, so it will not be for the faint of heart. Thanks for your inquiries.

- Keith.

Is Fusion OS still based on Ubuntu? If so the VMware Fusion install package should work. (hopefully) I'll let you know how things go along and try to post screen shots if I come across any errors. Kind of sucks VMware Fusion won't support things like Compiz, but does support Windows Aero. :/

Server is a bit slow btw and suffers from timeouts now and again.

Is Fusion OS still based on Ubuntu? If so the VMware Fusion install package should work. (hopefully) I'll let you know how things go along and try to post screen shots if I come across any errors. Kind of sucks VMware Fusion won't support things like Compiz, but does support Windows Aero. :/

Server is a bit slow btw and suffers from timeouts now and again.

Yes it is but before we even start development we "de-bloated" it to a very basic install. Adn that would be great to know if it works in VMware (screenshots would also be good!). I know about the server problem and for the next time we are definantley going to need a better and faster server I am thinking about what i can do about this problem. Thanks for your feedback!

- Keith.

I got it up and running in VirtualBox right now but its asking for a password for "fusion user"

Really that may be a problem. Can you go over the steps you took and whgat options you selected during the install? The password for that though should just be "password" it was a backup account.

Actually I don't have it installed I just booted from the ISO and came up asking for a password. Also I entered in "password" without the quotes and still no luck. I'll reboot the VB

Edit: I'm also booting up in the "live - boot the Live System" That might be why

Well it loads just fine in VMware Fusion. I think I'll hold off until the actual interface has been implemented. I honestly think you shouldn't pursue the whole Windows Start Menu thing.

screenshot20110316at010.png

Let me know if there's anything specific you want to know about Fusion OS running in VMware Fusion.

Well it loads just fine in VMware Fusion. I think I'll hold off until the actual interface has been implemented. I honestly think you shouldn't pursue the whole Windows Start Menu thing.

I'd tend to disagree with that, one of the things a lot of Windows users complain about is a lack of familiarity.

I'd tend to disagree with that, one of the things a lot of Windows users complain about is a lack of familiarity.

If people don't want to learn how a new OS works and expect everything to be exactly the same they should just stick with Windows.