Neowin Digital Gallery

Welcome to the Neowin photo gallery! Here you can post your pictures and discuss your photography techniques.

Please be mindful of our members on dial-up and try to keep the dimensions of the pics and the size of the files to a respectable size for 1024 x 768 viewers. Please refrain from quoting images in your replies.

I will also ask that you link to images on your own space, as much as possible.

Try to put more details from your camera settings and also talk about what you have done with photoshop.

There are a lot of photographers here that like your editing skills and would like to learn more.

The previous thread can be found here.

Thanks!

I thought it was Movember, ie: moustache

Yeah, I have heard both, I think Movember is the new 'thing' it's much easier and fun to say, but I know no-shave November is essentially not shaving the whole face... Movember may just apply to mustache alone?

All I know is I may not make it until the end haha (probably won't)

Yeah, I have heard both, I think Movember is the new 'thing' it's much easier and fun to say, but I know no-shave November is essentially not shaving the whole face... Movember may just apply to mustache alone?

All I know is I may not make it until the end haha (probably won't)

Never heard of that one, I've just heard Septembeard :p

All of these were taken in Holy Jim Canyon, CA.

5160098165_4b226caf2b_z.jpg

Camera Make: Canon

Camera Model: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi

Mode: Shutter speed priority AE

Focal Length: 43 mm

Aperture: f/5.0

Exposure Time: 0.013 sec (1/80)

ISO: 100

5160075441_4b49664295_z.jpg

Mode: Aperture-priority AE

Focal Length: 18 mm

Aperture: f/7.1

Exposure Time: 0.04 sec (1/25)

ISO: 400

5160072471_5df82df61d_z.jpg

Focal Length: 18 mm

Aperture: f/6.3

Exposure Time: 0.013 sec (1/80)

ISO: 400

_MG_6049

5160663566_ba97773cb9_z.jpg

Focal Length: 37 mm

Aperture: f/7.1

Exposure Time: 0.01 sec (1/100)

ISO: 200

Finally figured out how to take low light on my Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM

75725_461419977767_503092767_5509323_7838528_n.jpg

Went to the park tonight at dark. On the side of the Gazibo there was a pack of sigs, made for a great picture. It's my favorite picture of the night.

You should have used a slower shutter speed or a higher ISO. The photo is way underexposed.

F-stop f/1.4

Exposure time 1/100 sec

iso 800

I wasn't using a tripod, could have gone a little lower but no lower than 30 other wise they usually turn out blurry.

F-stop f/1.4

Exposure time 1/100 sec

iso 800

I wasn't using a tripod, could have gone a little lower but no lower than 30 other wise they usually turn out blurry.

Ah the beauty of having IS on ALL lenses :), I can usually hand hold my 50/1.8 to about 1/13 or 1/10 to get a sharp image (1/8 is not as sharp but useable) on a subject about 1.5 feet away (With IS on, obviously, with IS off the l imit is indeed about 1/30).

I'm new to digital pics =).

I purchased a rebel xs a week ago and just started playing around with the settings. I'd read a manual but I tend to learn better if i just tinker with it.. :whistle:

I'm looking forward to becoming a regular on this part of the forum!

post-169609-12894059249166.jpg

I'm new to digital pics =).

I purchased a rebel xs a week ago and just started playing around with the settings. I'd read a manual but I tend to learn better if i just tinker with it.. :whistle:

I'm looking forward to becoming a regular on this part of the forum!

post-169609-12894059249166.jpg

First bit of advice is to take the camera out of Auto mode and try playing around with aperture priority / shutter priority or even manual mode :p

Second bit of advice is to invest in an off camera flash. The built in camera flash doesn't have a large enough surface area to disperse the light - that's why the picture has a harsh shadow on the wall. An off camera flash has a larger surface area so it can spread the light around more. That coupled with the ability to change the angle of the flash would help you get better low light pictures.

First bit of advice is to take the camera out of Auto mode and try playing around with aperture priority / shutter priority or even manual mode :p

Second bit of advice is to invest in an off camera flash. The built in camera flash doesn't have a large enough surface area to disperse the light - that's why the picture has a harsh shadow on the wall. An off camera flash has a larger surface area so it can spread the light around more. That coupled with the ability to change the angle of the flash would help you get better low light pictures.

I think he should first worry about composition :)

I think he should first worry about composition :)

yeah....I have a lot to learn...Well this is my first SLR

How about this?

post-169609-12895157306355.jpg

yeah....I have a lot to learn...Well this is my first SLR

How about this?

"snipped"

Yeah the 2nd one is better. From my experience (i'm no pro), I think what makes a great/interesting photo is an interesting subject! And also some good photography skills. I can sit here at my desk and take as many photos as I want of my coffee mug using good composition, proper exposure, aperture, etc. but at the end of the day it's still a boring old coffee mug. So get out there and just take a ton of photos of interesting stuff! It does also help to do a bit of reading/learning too. Enjoy the new camera.