Skype 5.0 Beta for Mac OS X available

I just got a reply from Skype support regarding the lack of functioning webcam on my machine... Here is what they sent:

Hello,

We are contacting you in regards to the feedback you sent to us about Skype for Mac 5 Beta.

1- It would help us a great deal if you could provide us with a more detailed description of your issue with the video.

Can you specify:

-Exactly what is not working?

-Are you getting an error message? If you are, what does it say?

2- To set up your webcam and troubleshoot some common video issues, please follow these steps:

1. Make sure you are using the latest version of Skype: http://www.skype.com/download/skype/macosx/beta/

2. Run a software update to make sure that your system is up to date. To do this, go to the main menu and click the Apple logo > Software Update.

3. Check that the most recent drivers for your video device have been installed. If your webcam does not have drivers for Mac OS X, please use the drivers available from http://webcam-osx.sf.net /

4. Make sure that the correct device is selected in Skype, under Skype > Preferences > Audio/Video.

5. Go to Preferences > Video and tick Enable Skype video.

You can also set video privacy settings to desired options in the same window.

You should also close all other applications that might use the webcam, including; video editing software, instant messengers, browsers and open Finder windows. Sometimes restarting Skype and Mac might help as well.

If you are still having problems, try to delete the config.xml file on your Mac:

1. Quit Skype

2. Open Finder and navigate to Home > Library > Application > Support > Skype > your_Skype_username.

3. Locate the config.xml file and delete it.

4. Restart Skype. The config.xml file will be recreated.

If you experience any further issues with your webcam, please contact the manufacturer directly.

Note that the minimum system requirements for Skype 5.0 beta for Mac OS X are:

* 1GHz Intel processor

* Mac OS X v10.5.8 (Leopard) or newer

* 512 MB RAM

* 100MB Free disk space

We will be looking forward to your reply and wish you a wonderful day!

So this made me realize what the issue was...

See, in their response, they asked me to try deleting the configuration file. They also asked me to make sure that video was enabled in the preferences, even though such a checkbox has since been removed from the beta.

So now I think I realize what the issue is: it's not drivers. Before upgrading to Skype 5 I had my video disabled so that Skype does not trigger my Nvidia GPU for no reason. With the option to enable/disable the video removed from the beta, the config was set to turn video off and I was not able to turn it back on or even see that it was off to begin with.

I'm still not going to re-install the beta to check if this is true, but I'm 99% confident that this is the issue. I'll test it out when they issue a new build.

• 2 weeks later...