• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 em_te

em_te

Awan Afuqya

Posted 14 November 2010 - 05:22

I found out how to make Gmail's webapp run full screen on the iPhone:

1) Point your iPhone's Safari to http://preview.tinyu...fulliphonegmail

2) Near the bottom click on "Proceed to this site". Don't open it in a new tab, you MUST click on it naturally.

3) You will be taken to a white blank page with the text "add to Home Screen". If you are taken straight to Gmail, you did it wrong and probably opened it in a new tab.

4) Now click on the "+" icon in Safari and click "Add to Home Screen".

5) Gmail will appear on your home screen. Next time, click on it to launch Gmail and it will be full screen.

The advantage of this method over just adding Gmail directly to your Home Screen is that you can make it full screen. The disadvantage is that if you get a phone call and hang up to go back to Gmail, it will reload all over again losing your current position and composed email.

#2 NienorGT

NienorGT

Nee-Heh-Nor GeeTee

Posted 14 November 2010 - 05:43

How to very it's well genuine?
No address bar here and it still ask for a password even if I'm well logged in Mobile Safari with the regular site.

#3 OP em_te

em_te

Awan Afuqya

Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:32

How to very it's well genuine?
No address bar here and it still ask for a password even if I'm well logged in Mobile Safari with the regular site.

That's a good point.

The only way I can think of is to decode the Tinyurl redirection URL, which is basically a base64 encoded string of HTML text. Help needed.

#4 OP em_te

em_te

Awan Afuqya

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:13

Here's a bookmarket to generate full screen web apps for the Home Screen. You need to add the bookmarket to your bookmarks, then load the webpage, then run the bookmarklet, then bookmark the subsequent page that loads:

javascript:void(location.href="data:text/html;base64,"+btoa('<html><link rel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed" href="'+location.protocol+'\/\/'+location.host+'/favicon.ico"><meta name="apple-mobile-web-app-capable" content=yes><script>if(!document.referrer)location.replace("'+location.href+'");</script><title>'+document.title+'</title>Add to Home Screen</html>'));

Here's what is generated for Google Maps:
data:text/html;base64,PGh0bWw+PGxpbmsgcmVsPSJhcHBsZS10b3VjaC1pY29uLXByZWNvbXBvc2VkIiBocmVmPSJodHRwczovL21hcHMuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS9mYXZpY29uLmljbyI+PG1ldGEgbmFtZT0iYXBwbGUtbW9iaWxlLXdlYi1hcHAtY2FwYWJsZSIgY29udGVudD15ZXM+PHNjcmlwdD5pZighZG9jdW1lbnQucmVmZXJyZXIpbG9jYXRpb24ucmVwbGFjZSgiaHR0cHM6Ly9tYXBzLmdvb2dsZS5jb20vIik7PC9zY3JpcHQ+PHRpdGxlPkdvb2dsZSBNYXBzPC90aXRsZT5BZGQgdG8gSG9tZSBTY3JlZW48L2h0bWw+

#5 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 24 September 2012 - 00:07

Here's a bookmarket to generate full screen web apps for the Home Screen. You need to add the bookmarket to your bookmarks, then load the webpage, then run the bookmarklet, then bookmark the subsequent page that loads:

javascript:void(location.href="data:text/html;base64,"+btoa('<html><link rel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed" href="'+location.protocol+'\/\/'+location.host+'/favicon.ico"><meta name="apple-mobile-web-app-capable" content=yes><script>if(!document.referrer)location.replace("'+location.href+'");</script><title>'+document.title+'</title>Add to Home Screen</html>'));

Here's what is generated for Google Maps:
data:text/html;base64,PGh0bWw+PGxpbmsgcmVsPSJhcHBsZS10b3VjaC1pY29uLXByZWNvbXBvc2VkIiBocmVmPSJodHRwczovL21hcHMuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS9mYXZpY29uLmljbyI+PG1ldGEgbmFtZT0iYXBwbGUtbW9iaWxlLXdlYi1hcHAtY2FwYWJsZSIgY29udGVudD15ZXM+PHNjcmlwdD5pZighZG9jdW1lbnQucmVmZXJyZXIpbG9jYXRpb24ucmVwbGFjZSgiaHR0cHM6Ly9tYXBzLmdvb2dsZS5jb20vIik7PC9zY3JpcHQ+PHRpdGxlPkdvb2dsZSBNYXBzPC90aXRsZT5BZGQgdG8gSG9tZSBTY3JlZW48L2h0bWw+

Thank you, I will try this out soon!
Been looking for something like this for weeks now (not as in... actively searching, just searched once and found nothing).

Another advantage of dedicated fullscreen webapps is that they have their own instance of Safari running them, so say you got the maximum amount of tabs open in Safari, if you open the webapp it won't count against that, hence not overriding a tab. :)

Hmmm... just tried adding Youtube to my homescreen, which worked fine, but I only got the low res favicon as homescreen icon...
Not the high res one that you get when you add m.youtube.com to your homescreen without using the bookmark. :s
Any trick?

I'd use the Youtube app, but it's not available in Germany at the moment, due to a legal battle lol...
ugh... Suckers the GEMA are...

Glassed Silver:mac