Need for Speed SHIFT 2 announced with trailer

Need for Speed SHIFT 2 announced with trailer

EA promises brutality

If you enjoyed the excellent simulation Need for Speed SHIFT, it'll be nice to know EA has confirmed work on a sequel: Need for Speed SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED. Just "SHIFT 2" would've done nicely, but we digress.

As if the graphics last time around weren't enough for you, SHIFT 2 will run on a spanking new rendering engine, and will pack a "massive" overhaul to the graphics. Promised features are helmet view, night racing, authentic car and track degradation (there's a new one), and also "Need for Speed Autolog", a multiplayer and leaderboard network. Lastly, there's said to be a focus on the brutality of racing, as is evident from the teaser below.

The title is again being developed by Slightly Mad Studios, and will again launch on PC, PS3, and 360. If you're a PC gamer, it's likely you can expect a proper PC version as last time.

No release window is known as of yet.

Source: neoseeker.com

What... they're makign a sequel to Shift ?... what.. WHY!?

noone liked, it noone wanted it, it was horrible, it tried to be a sim and arcade at the same time and utterly failed at being anything. it felt like driving sleds. why would they make a sequel. especially now that they're starting to put NFS back to it's proper roots, where it belongs.

Must have sold enough, and had enough interest to warrant a new one. That said, the trailer make it look over the top arcadey. I see no focus on simulation. Fail.

noone liked, it noone wanted it, it was horrible, it tried to be a sim and arcade at the same time and utterly failed at being anything. it felt like driving sleds. why would they make a sequel. especially now that they're starting to put NFS back to it's proper roots, where it belongs.

I think you're confusing Shift with ProStreet. Shift was solid, and much better than ProStreet.

I thought Shift was supposed to cover the "simulator" part of the series.. the description makes it sound like a fancy Burnout :p

By the way, I liked the first one.. needed more tracks (and Ferraris on PC), but it was good.

The well established economic recipe is what led to sequel after sequel . I don't recall the franchise ever having something come close to underground 2 . Or GRID .

So there's little hope for a substantial change come this installment . ?

The first Shift was a pretty decent game, it have a Meta-score of 83-84 depending the platform. This isn't good as Hot Pursuit with its 88-90 but still very good.

I can't wait to see how this one will turn out as Hot Pursuit isn't my style of game (I started to play NFS with Underground 2 btw).

The "helmet view" look like a nice addition of realism. Depending on how they balance the difficulty, it could be a really good game for me (I love realism, but I'm a bad driver so pure simulation isn't the best adapted for me lol).

I'm still waiting more about Grid 2 than this tho, THAT was my kind of game :)

Shift was the first racing game I stopped playing within 10 hours. I think I only got about 4 hours in before I decided to stop beating my head against the wall and stopped playing it.

Needless to say I will not be buying the sequel

You do realize NFS started as a sim racer right? it's roots were not cops vs racer, that was merely what made it famous. Just because you didn't like it, doesn't mean nobody does! you don't speak for the NFS community ;) some of us (i.e. me and I'm sure some others) did really enjoy Shift and news of a sequel is good news indeed (Y)

You do realize NFS started as a sim racer right? it's roots were not cops vs racer, that was merely what made it famous. Just because you didn't like it, doesn't mean nobody does! you don't speak for the NFS community ;) some of us (i.e. me and I'm sure some others) did really enjoy Shift and news of a sequel is good news indeed (Y)

ummmm..

yeah, I actually played gamed when NFS was released. and it was NEVER sim, it was an arcade racer with exotic cars on beautifully crafted tracks.

granted it may have been more sim than many of the other racers at the time, but it was still an arcade title that was made to be fun to drive. the only real sims back then was the F1 racers.

ummmm..

yeah, I actually played gamed when NFS was released. and it was NEVER sim, it was an arcade racer with exotic cars on beautifully crafted tracks.

granted it may have been more sim than many of the other racers at the time, but it was still an arcade title that was made to be fun to drive. the only real sims back then was the F1 racers.

you have no idea what you are talking about (Y)

The Need for Speed (1994)

The first installment of the NFS was one of only two serious attempts by the series to provide a realistic simulation of car handling and physics without arcade elements (the other being Porsche Unleashed). Electronic Arts teamed up with automotive magazine Road & Track to match vehicle behaviour, including the mimicking of the sounds made by the vehicles' gear control levers. The game also contained precise vehicle data with spoken commentary, several "magazine style" images of each car interior and exterior and even short video-clips highlighting the vehicles set to music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Need_for_Speed#The_Need_for_Speed_.281994.29

and i owned the original game for my 3DO (still have it too, fifa was amazing on it), it was a sim.

you have no idea what you are talking about (Y)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Need_for_Speed#The_Need_for_Speed_.281994.29

and i owned the original game for my 3DO (still have it too, fifa was amazing on it), it was a sim.

You know, except I played the original when it came out.

And I can tell you one thing, I didn't play it because it was oh such an awesome sim. I played it because it had awesome cars, good graphics, it was fast, and had exotic cars. just like everyone else who played the game. I mean, it was no outrun(yes I know it was a lot earlier), neither was it the F1 games of the era.

noooooo!!!!!!!

Haha thats exactly what I was thinking when reading the original post.

I'm beginning to see a trend with NFS games:

Carbon (2006) - Fun

ProStreet (2007) - Boring

Undercover (2008) - Fun

Shift (2009) - Boring

Hot Pursuit (2010) - Fun

Shift 2: Unleashed (2011) *Cough* would be harsh of me to comment just yet... :p

I'm sure i read ages ago NFS games have a two year development cycle, so I would imagine thats why we get a more arcade style one year and a more more real (ish) game the year after.

Not a bad way of doing it I guess otherwise NFS would end up the same boring stuff every year like Fifa.