• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#31 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

• 9,905 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 27 November 2010 - 16:24

They can't even make their own OS, they have to use Linux as a base. As that never took off this won't either.

Yeah.. just like Android. Another Google concoction based on Linux which hasn't taken off. Oh, wait....

#32 Frylock86

Frylock86

Stargate won't die!

• 2,895 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 16:34

I think Google is a little out of touch: "Computers running Chrome OS will start in seconds, not minutes, and then users will see a browser through which applications and data can be used. "

Uh, what? What modern PC boots in minutes still? Maybe a few ancient XP machines, but that's about it.

#33 SpyCatcher

SpyCatcher

Neowinian

• 871 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 16:46

20% at the most...

#34 guru

guru

||guru||

• 8,262 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 16:49

I think Google is a little out of touch: "Computers running Chrome OS will start in seconds, not minutes, and then users will see a browser through which applications and data can be used. "

Uh, what? What modern PC boots in minutes still? Maybe a few ancient XP machines, but that's about it.

+1

Win 7 + SSD < 20 seconds boot now. not to mention, Windows 8 would look to reduce this time and integrate cloud in windows. starting with syncing %appdata% and my documents folder. essentially killing 2 main advantages Chrome OS can have. with Android gaining on tablet i dont see Chrome OS making it their either.. On, the business side of things. Google Apps + Docs + Gmail aren't comparable to MS Office + Outlook. small business are probably going to use google apps name just to get a discount from MS, if anything.

#35 fenderMarky

fenderMarky

Neowinian

• 371 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 17:25

Android is not a Google creation...

#36 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 17:32

BHAHAHAHAHAAHAH!!!

I love articles like this.

So delusional. It makes me :rofl:

#37 Solid Knight

Solid Knight

Neowinian Senior

• 5,140 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 17:38

Yes, 60% of businesses could replace their inventory system with... ... .... ...?

#38 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

• 1,865 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 17:41

I call bullcrap.

Most businesses won't even upgrade their version of Internet Explorer, so there's no chance in hell 60% of them are going to dump their entire OS and hence network structure/sharing settings/software licences. Someone was high when they came up with that figure.

#39 Jebadiah

Jebadiah

Neowinian Senior

• 2,209 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 18:51

+1

Win 7 + SSD < 20 seconds boot now. not to mention, Windows 8 would look to reduce this time and integrate cloud in windows. starting with syncing %appdata% and my documents folder. essentially killing 2 main advantages Chrome OS can have. with Android gaining on tablet i dont see Chrome OS making it their either.. On, the business side of things. Google Apps + Docs + Gmail aren't comparable to MS Office + Outlook. small business are probably going to use google apps name just to get a discount from MS, if anything.

Very true. The claim that Chrome OS boots up in seconds is not true at all. SSD is what makes it fast as it would for Windows and Macs and Linux. Chrome OS took about 40 seconds to load on my VM with 512MB memory and a 1GHz processor the last time I tried it.

I love the architecture of the Chrome OS, however, which is not complex like the other mainstream power OSes. Updates from Google will be silent like they are with the Chrome browser so system admin jobs would plunge if businesses go the web browser route and start storing stuff on Google servers instead of their own servers. Hell I would not work for a company that stores stuff on externally owned servers.

It is Google that I do not like. They already store a lot of information about us on their servers which they won't let us delete by ourselves. I don't wish to see them encroaching over people's personal lives too. I hope the ChromeOS would not catch on, but I am afraid it's going to be a hit mainly because it's going to be free. By the time Chrome OS gains any traction, I think Windows 8 would be out as well. It will be an interesting time for Microsoft when they go head to head with Google to save their cash cow.

#40 Frylock86

Frylock86

Stargate won't die!

• 2,895 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 18:56

Very true. The claim that Chrome OS boots up in seconds is not true at all. SSD is what makes it fast as it would for Windows and Macs and Linux.

I love the architecture of the Chrome OS, however, which is not complex like the other mainstream power OSes. Update from Google will be silent like they are with the Chrome browser.

It is Google that I do not like. They already store a lot of information about us on their servers which they won't let us delete by ourselves. I don't wish to see them encroaching over people's personal lives too. I hope the ChromeOS would not catch on, but I am afraid it's going to be a hit mainly because it's going to be free.

Linux is free too. That hasn't driven people to it.

Same thing with ChromeOS, it'll be free, but the hardware it'll be tied to won't be.

#41 jason13524

jason13524

Neowinian

• 511 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 18:56

Very true. The claim that Chrome OS boots up in seconds is not true at all. SSD is what makes it fast as it would for Windows and Macs and Linux.

I love the architecture of the Chrome OS, however, which is not complex like the other mainstream power OSes. Update from Google will be silent like they are with the Chrome browser.

It is Google that I do not like. They already store a lot of information about us on their servers which they won't let us delete by ourselves. I don't wish to see them encroaching over people's personal lives too. I hope the ChromeOS would not catch on, but I am afraid it's going to be a hit mainly because it's going to be free.

As a sys admin I want to know of every update, what it does and have the ability to block them. I don't like google either and wouldn't trust any of my info to them annd especially not the info of the council I work for.

#42 Frylock86

Frylock86

Stargate won't die!

• 2,895 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 19:07

As a sys admin I want to know of every update, what it does and have the ability to block them. I don't like google either and wouldn't trust any of my info to them annd especially not the info of the council I work for.

Google hopes you get fired. :rolleyes:

#43 c3ntury

c3ntury

Say whaa?

• 3,123 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 20:11

I doubt it, alot of business require programs in the Adobe suite and such.

#44 Mouldy Punk

Mouldy Punk

Neowinian Senior

• 2,537 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 20:14

"Could" is not the same as "would" or even "should". Article is nonsense.

#45 shockz

shockz

Neowinian Senior

• 19,643 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 27 November 2010 - 21:05

60% lol