Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr aldo

Christmas tree: Real or fake?

145 members have voted

1. 1. Do you get a real Christmas tree or a fake one?

• Real
    • Fake
    • Fake, but would prefer a real one
    • Neither (don't celebrate, etc.)
  2. 2. How much would a real tree cost where you live (6 foot tree)?

• 0 - 15
    • 15 - 30
    • 30 - 45
    • 45 - 60
    • 60 - 75
    • 75 - 90
    • > 90 (please specify)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

66 posts in this topic

No tree.

My parents have a fake one (that they've put up already :| ) that they've had since the 80s and will probably keep for another 20 odd years, heh.

Myself, I wouldn't really bother. I went on a major decorating spree a few years ago but they just get in the way and are a pain to take down again.

we got a nice 7' live tree last night for $29

Fake, my parents have been using theirs for just over 11 years. Although if you know where to look you can get a real tree for free.

My parents have a fake one (that they've put up already :| ) that they've had since the 80s and will probably keep for another 20 odd years, heh.

Myself, I wouldn't really bother. I went on a major decorating spree a few years ago but they just get in the way and are a pain to take down again.

I worked around that by just not taking it down.

I think I got up to May or something before it was pretty much a "Pull it down or I'll throw it out" thing.

Just put up a 10ft Noble tree (travelling on business for two weeks so wanted to get it sorted before I leave), cost $40.

A couple of years ago, we picked up a 13.5 ft tree. Look fantastic!

I also have a 6ft fake in the loft. Looks awful in comparison to a real one.

I always thought artificial Christmas trees were a new thing, but here it says that the oldest one known is from 1886:

2r7c5ed.jpg98c9ix.jpg

I prefer real trees, where I live you can get one for ~10$.

Fake, mainly so I can use it year after year and not have to deal with crazy cleanup. Plus, pre-lit is nice too :D

Fake. I would prefer real, however. It is true that a fake tree costs more, but you can reuse it every year. The real trees in my area are a bit on the expensive side ($50 to $75 for a good fir) in the Midwest?!... WTF. I got a real tree last year for $25 and it didn't even make it to past December 25th. If I could fine a good quality tree for <= $20, I would purchase it in a heartbeat.

How long do those who have a fake tree keep them/plan to reuse them till you get a new one?

The way my family sees it, it costs $200 - $300 for a fake one, which would mean it would take 20 - 30 years for the fake tree to pay off. Plus with a real you get the plus of it smelling good.

I got my fake tree, a Grand Fir (well sort of) Christmas tree for $90 back in 2002. I have used it every year since. On some years I mix in either a Balsam or Fraser as well. I have even been known to look at a pine or two. I will agree with you though that a fake tree is really lacking. There are generally not the most realistic and they have no smell. Worse, artificial scents have a canned smell.

A good 7.5ft grand fir for the foyer (that is a good width) will cost me easily $50 (if not $75). So based on this I could have spent $450 or $675. Instead, I usually get a smaller tree that is real (like a $10 table top or a smaller $25 Balsam) if I want smell.

It all comes down to cost.

Real every time.

The smell is almost as beautiful as they look.

Need to change the real tree cost adding the option "Can't buy one where we are" :p

We've had a fake since I was a kid.

Fake, white (girlfriend wanted pink:x )

Cost £12.49

How long do those who have a fake tree keep them/plan to reuse them till you get a new one?

The way my family sees it, it costs $200 - $300 for a fake one, which would mean it would take 20 - 30 years for the fake tree to pay off. Plus with a real you get the plus of it smelling good.

I bought mine in october for 15$.... (Fake 6')

How did you get a fake one for $15? Garage sale or something?

How did you get a fake one for $15? Garage sale or something?

Nope, was marked down at Zellers from 75$ to 44$ then it was another 75% off because it was discontinued.

We always get a real one. I love the smell. They cost between $45 and $60 dollars here.

If the neighbors have a live one growing, I'll get out the saw .... :shiftyninja:

Real / Free (I have a place where I can get them for free) :)

BTW I don't celebrate christmas, but my family does (and I still live with them so...)

Fake.

Cheaper in the long run.

No mess.

No smell.

No allergies.

Pretty much sumed up everything

+1

I always had real as a kid so I hated the idea of a fake one but the wife grew up with them so we have a small one in our room and my parents put a real one upstairs (yes we live with them). Works out alright for me.

Will NEVER have a real tree in the house again!

Is there a "post your tree" thread made yet? If so, I have some photos to contribute :)