NASA announcement coming December 2nd.

Oh yes, because proving that we are not alone in the universe isn't important at all (Y)

Oh yes, because proving that they found micro-organisms in the universe is the most amazing news in the history of NASA? :sleep: :pinch:

If they finally found some life on mars or somehwere else like an asteroid or w/e then that's pretty big news imo. Of course I dunno how the religious fanatics will take it.

Easy.. god had some dna residue on his hands, and he wiped them off on mars.

(Im not a religious fanatic.. and this was posted as a joke).

Hours before their special news conference today, the cat is out of the bag: NASA has discovered a completely new life form that doesn't share the biological building blocks of anything currently living in planet Earth. This changes everything.

At their conference today, NASA scientist Felisa Wolfe Simon will announce that they have found a bacteria whose DNA is completely alien to what we know today. Instead of using phosphorus, the bacteria uses arsenic. All life on Earth is made of six components: carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, phosphorus and sulfur. Every being, from the smallest amoeba to the largest whale, share the same life stream. Our DNA blocks are all the same.

But not this one. This one is completely different. Discovered in the poisonous Mono Lake, California, this bacteria is made of arsenic, something that was thought to be completely impossible. While she and other scientists theorized that this could be possible, this is the first discovery. The implications of this discovery are enormous to our understanding of life itself and the possibility of finding beings in other planets that don't have to be like planet Earth.

No details have been disclosed about the origin or nature of this new life form. We will know more today at 2pm EST but, while this life hasn't been found in another planet, this discovery does indeed change everything we know about biology. I don't know about you but I've not been so excited about a bacteria since my STD tests came back clean. And that's without counting yesterday's announcement on the discovery of a massive number of red dwarf stars, which may harbor trillion of Earths. [NOS?In Dutch]

http://gizmodo.com/5704158/nasa-finds-new-life

If this is real news? I mean finding bacteria like that is really going to change everything or is just more fake propaganda from NASA? It will be awesome if instead of bacteria they found an alien creature.

It was only a matter of time, I'm more surprised that they found this life form on Earth then the fact that they found a lifeform based on different elements than life we knew before this discovery.

If this is real news? I mean finding bacteria like that is really going to change everything or is just more fake propaganda from NASA?

Think of it this way, humans have only ever known life based on the mentioned elements, this life form is based on a different element. Essentially, all life on Earth (up until now) was known to be based on the same building blocks, this new life form is based on different building blocks.

It's like living your entire existence in a wooden house and never knowing any of structure to build a building other than wood, then discovering the building properties of brick and steel.

It was only a matter of time, I'm more surprised that they found this life form on Earth then the fact that they found a lifeform based on different elements than life we knew before this discovery.

Think of it this way, humans have only ever known life based on the mentioned elements, this life form is based on a different element. Essentially, all life on Earth (up until now) was known to be based on the same building blocks, this new life form is based on different building blocks.

It's like living your entire existence in a wooden house and never knowing any of structure to build a building other than wood, then discovering the building properties of brick and steel.

From what I've seen though they don't think that this life arose separately, more like it evolved from normal bacteria to adapt to this environment.

It's still a big find and it broadens the scope of environments where we know that life can survive, but I still don't think that we've ever observed any life that didn't come from one single ancestor on Earth.

Call me back when they found an alien creature.... ah, bacteria alien... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: that was really a bogus discover.

So them making a discovery that changes the way we look at biology isn't important?

Nice.

/facepalm