NASA announcement coming December 2nd.

I believe there are also suspicions that unusual lifeforms might exist in Lake Vostok, which has an extremely high oxygen concentration.

life on other planets?

think about life here below our crust..

if there can be such bacteria what if there are bacteria which use other elements in their DNA?

this will be sweet!!!

so whats the news?

Small minded I see. We just found evidence of life forming with different building blocks than ours. Meaning life can form on other planets with different chemical consistency.

Actually there is no proof that life has formed with different building blocks, these bacteria could have just evolved due to their environment.

I don't know how this is any different... We have been looking for planets similar to Earth because we have believed curtain chemicals needs to exist for life to form. This might change everything we look at life through out the universe.

I don't know how this is any different... We have been looking for planets similar to Earth because we have believed curtain chemicals needs to exist for life to form. This might change everything we look at life through out the universe.

Exactly, if the bacteria contains elements we never knew could support life, then planets we may have ignored in searching for life due to different atmosphere/elements and what not, are all eligible to support life of some form now.

Actually there is no proof that life has formed with different building blocks, these bacteria could have just evolved due to their environment.

Uh....the bateria's DNA is different from ANYthing else found on Earth. That's not just from simple environmental adaptation.

They should have hired a salesman to present the info. ARG.

Still, the information, itself, is interesting as hell.

ACK. The broadcast just locked up for me.

Funny, since it's the "skeptic" that got shut down. lol

After reading NASA's official report, it seems they did not find these bacteria occurring naturally in the lake. They were able to get them to grow using Arsenic in the lab after removing all sources of Phosphorous.

It still technically means these bacteria can be Arsenic based, but it some how drains the discovery of its awe-value.

After reading NASA's official report, it seems they did not find these bacteria occurring naturally in the lake. They were able to get them to grow using Arsenic in the lab after removing all sources of Phosphorous.

It still technically means these bacteria can be Arsenic based, but it some how drains the discovery of its awe-value.

They didn't remove all sources of phosphorous. The bacterium had its own phosphorous and there were trace amounts in the soil they grew the bacterium in.

I read that section as meaning that they removed the phosphorous to prove that the bacteria were using the arsenic.

I read that section as meaning that they removed the phosphorous to prove that the bacteria were using the arsenic.

I originally read it that way too. However, the pictures on the official post make it seem that there are two versions of this bacteria. The bacteria looks different when you compare the pictures, so I just assumed they were showing the difference between the two versions (phosphorous vs arsenic). If the bacteria was always arsenic based, wouldn't it look the same in both pictures? So, I don't know. Maybe I am interpreting their explanation wrong.

They weren't proving that it used arsenic per say. They simply proved that it can incorporate arsenic in low levels of phosphorous, even down to the level of the DNA backbone.

Jim seems a little overenthusiastic, talking about things that aren't exactly practical.

They weren't proving that it used arsenic per say. They simply proved that it can incorporate arsenic in low levels of phosphorous, even down to the level of the DNA backbone.

The article states they have removed phosphorus entirely, or perhaps I'm just reading it wrong .. ?

When researchers removed the phosphorus and replaced it with arsenic the microbes continued to grow. Subsequent analyses indicated that the arsenic was being used to produce the building blocks of new GFAJ-1 cells.

The article states they have removed phosphorus entirely, or perhaps I'm just reading it wrong .. ?

The article on NASA's site does say they removed it and they continued to grow. However, those bacterium were grown originally with at least trace amounts of phosphorous, so they weren't phosophorous-free. The video also confirms this.

http://astrobiology.nasa.gov/articles/thriving-on-arsenic/

http://www.astrobio.net/exclusive/3698/thriving-on-arsenic

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2010/12/bacteria-can-integrate-arsenic-into-its-dna-and-proteins.ars

Holy crap, this is huge.

We then used high-resolution secondary ion mass spectrometry (NanoSIMS) to positively identify As in extracted, gel purified genomic DNA (Fig. 2A). These data showed that DNA from +As/-P cells had elevated As and low P relative to DNA from the -As/+P cells. NanoSIMS analysis of the DNA showed that the As:P ratio on an atom per atom basis was significantly higher in the +As/-P versus -As/+P grown cells (Fig. 2A, 11?table S2). [...] Our NanoSIMS analyses, combined with the evidence for intracellular arsenic by ICP-MS and our radiolabeled 73AsO4 3- experiments demonstrated that intracellular AsO4 3- was incorporated into key biomolecules, specifically DNA.
While other arsenical compounds, such as dimethylarsinate (DMA) also have As-O and As-C bonds, they have edge positions which are shifted to lower energy from the observed As(V) and have much shorter observed As-C bond distances (16). In contrast to the models, these As-O and As-C distances are consistent with that reported from the solved crystal structure of DNA for the analogous structural position of P relative to O and C atoms (Fig. 3A) (16, 17). Therefore, our X-ray data support the position of arsenate in a similar configuration to phosphate in a DNA backbone or potentially other biomolecules as well.

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/early/2010/12/01/science.1197258