Using Microsoft LifeCam on the Mac

I was given a Microsoft LifeCam HD-6000 today and I put it in to my Mac (Running Windows via Bootcamp) and the quality is much nicer than the built in iSight camera.

When I'm in Mac mode, I can use this camera but the video seems distorted. Does any Mac expert know how to enable better support of the MS LifeCam on the Mac? Are the are drivers (official or unofficial)?

Here is a photo using the camera under Windows mode:

post-15711-12914679970534.jpg

Here is the photo using the same camera under Mac mode:

post-15711-12914679950617.jpg

The difference is very significant...It's been a few years already that they don't update the webcams in our Macs. That's a shame though. Hell my iPhone 3GS almost has a better camera than my 27-in iMac and I don't even want to think about the iPhone 4 :(

OSX supports many webcams but with it's generic drivers, you'll get poor quality. Without a driver specific to your webcams feature set, you won't get all the perks that the camera offers.

The difference is very significant...It's been a few years already that they don't update the webcams in our Macs. That's a shame though. Hell my iPhone 3GS almost has a better camera than my 27-in iMac and I don't even want to think about the iPhone 4 :(

It has more to do with the software rather than the hardware. It's beyond me why Photo Booth doesn't go beyond VGA while the iSight is 1,3 megapixels.

Microsoft is missing out on a whole market segment here.

Same with Logitech, they have a great 1080p webcam but it only comes with Windows drivers.

Yeah, the huge amount of people with Macs that want to buy a webcam because their built-in one isn't enough is ... not very huge.

Microsoft is missing out on a whole market segment here.

Same with Logitech, they have a great 1080p webcam but it only comes with Windows drivers.

What chat client allows 1080p to be sent over its network?

It doesn't matter, those cameras only send 720p in a webcam session, which you can do on Skype. They only work in 1080p for recording video, like for posting on YouTube or something.

It has more to do with the software rather than the hardware. It's beyond me why Photo Booth doesn't go beyond VGA while the iSight is 1,3 megapixels.

That?s always been beyond me too. It makes strictly no sense to include their most used and fun webcam application without proper picture settings.

But you still have to admit that the quality of our webcams is not very good. Yes they can upgrade Photo Booth a lot, but the major part to upgrade is the webcam itself.

That?s always been beyond me too. It makes strictly no sense to include their most used and fun webcam application without proper picture settings.

But you still have to admit that the quality of our webcams is not very good. Yes they can upgrade Photo Booth a lot, but the major part to upgrade is the webcam itself.

In most cases the quality of my iMac's iSight is a whole of a lot better than what my friends have in combination with their PCs. I honesty have no conplaints for something that is this nicely integrated into the front bezel...