7zip for Windows 7

7zip_for_windows_7_by_laushung-d33ziki.jpg

7zip Scenic

Building on the fantastic library SevenZipSharp by Markhor and utilizing the excellent zip program 7zip, I introduce 7zip Scenic. Now 7zip can run beside programs like Windows Live Mail and Windows Explorer and look like a native application.

While this is still a working beta, it should be usable for your daily needs. Some features are not finished and some are still in testing but it'll zip / unzip your files just fine.

Some things that are still on the to do list include:

• Creating self extracting zip files
  • Right-click menu for 7zip in Windows Explorer's context menu.

NOTE!!! .net 4 Framework MUST be installed in order for the application to run. Please go here if you need to install it.

Version log:

0.4.0.15 - Apr. 20 2011

• Fixed a problem with 7zip Scenic not properly remembering when a user selected "Every Week" or "Every Month" in the Check Frequency menu.
  • Added a check for password protected archives when opening. If the user tries to open an archive that is password protected, it will now ask for the password before trying to open the archive.
  • Added the 'Properties' button. Clicking will now show the properties of the currently open archive.
  • Added the 'Diagnostics' button. Clicking will now check to see if the currently open archive is valid.

0.4.0.0 - Mar. 5 2011

• Added support for adding / deleting files from archive without extracting first.
  • 7zip Scenic should now associate with .7z, .rar and .zip files automatically.
  • Fixed a few things and refined the update window to include download information.
  • Added taskbar support to display progress while extracting / compressing.
  • Full support for opening files by double-clicking from Explorer.
  • Added the ability to drop files the user wants to compress from multiple directories. Hold control while dropping files to append to the current archive.

0.3.0.6 - Feb. 20 2011

• Added support for extracting / compressing ecomic formats (.cbr and .cbz).
  • Fixed the Save dialog. It should now be a proper save dialog instead of an open dialog.
  • Added the ability to manually check for updates and to set the update frequency (At start, every day, every week and every month).
  • Fixed the missing icons in the jumplist.
  • Started to add preliminary code for file associations (this option is still disabled though).

0.3 - Now also available from here which will automatically update 7zip for you. No need to re-check / re-download the whole package every time there's an update.

• Completed the treeview. Double-clicking a folder will automatically select every file found in that folder.
  • Added Quick View feature. Either double-click the item or click the 'Quick View' button in the ribbon and 7zip will automatically open that file using the default application.
  • Added 'Recently Used Folders' feature. 7zip will now remember the folders you've used to extract your archives to and offer them in the drop down menu for easier extracting.
  • Fixed an issue with icons in details view.
  • Fixed a few other bugs / not-quite-finished things.

0.2.0.5 - Includes a Click-Once installer which should now allow the program to run properly.

0.2 - Initial release (pulled due to not functioning properly)

The complete source will be available for download as soon as we get a stable release in order to comply with LGPL licensing.

Special thanks to Markhor for his SeveZipSharp library and FediaFedia for the icon.

There seems to be some confusion whether or not this is the official 7zip application. Know that, while this uses the 7zip engine for compressing and decompressing archive files, this is not officially endorsed by 7zip. If you wish to use the official 7zip application, it can be downloaded at www.7zip.org.

Download and install from here.

Download from where? It's not clickable!!

At least the pic showed up this time after I replied.

Try again. Neowin's editing tools are all screwy for some reason - threw in an extra 'e' into the url link.

• 2 weeks later...

After it downloads 7zip throws this error, any idea's why ?

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: CLR20r3

Problem Signature 01: 7zip.exe

Problem Signature 02: 1.0.0.0

Problem Signature 03: 4cfa1419

Problem Signature 04: System.Windows.Forms

Problem Signature 05: 4.0.0.0

Problem Signature 06: 4ba1e14e

Problem Signature 07: 54ec

Problem Signature 08: 1f

Problem Signature 09: System.InvalidOperationException

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 2057

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

• 3 weeks later...

After it downloads 7zip throws this error, any idea's why ?

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: CLR20r3

Problem Signature 01: 7zip.exe

Problem Signature 02: 1.0.0.0

Problem Signature 03: 4cfa1419

Problem Signature 04: System.Windows.Forms

Problem Signature 05: 4.0.0.0

Problem Signature 06: 4ba1e14e

Problem Signature 07: 54ec

Problem Signature 08: 1f

Problem Signature 09: System.InvalidOperationException

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 2057

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

That's certainly a very odd error. From what I can get from it, and it's not very much, is there was a problem regarding the .Net CLR. Can I ask what version framework of .Net are you running? It should be 4.0. If it's not, install that and try again. Were you able to install it or did the error message happen before it could install? If so, it might have been a problem with the download. Please try downloading it again and see if it works.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. It's been awhile since I checked this as there wasn't any activity here. Let me know if any other error messages pop up so I can hopefully track things down for you.

• 2 months later...

Why did you center the title caption? This is anything but native.

And you most likely had to draw it yourself instead of using stock titlebar function... which is against the VERY DEFINITION of native :|

Though, I agree, the rest looks really yummy. Maybe except for the folder icons, which also look odd (unless this is your OS's customization).

Im sorry however, I am NOT going to download an exe from someone's Drop Box

And how is this different from other Neowin members hosting their software created apps on Dropbox or other hosted sites? Time to remove the foil hat dude. ;)

I loaded it up, the file associations box is greyed out. can't set it to open the correct files. Anyone know why?

edit: just read the above statement about things not finished my bad

And you most likely had to draw it yourself instead of using stock titlebar function... which is against the VERY DEFINITION of native :|

Though, I agree, the rest looks really yummy. Maybe except for the folder icons, which also look odd (unless this is your OS's customization).

Open up Paint in Windows 7, they look the same.

Open up Paint in Windows 7, they look the same.

Wow, I don't know what version of Paint you're using, but Kuraj is right, the "7zip for Windows 7" (why such a specific OS name?) doesn't look like a native Microsoft app or Paint.

Wow... Finally they redesign the UI!

At least it's not completely fugly like where uTorrent is going to (the reason why my install is frozen at 2.0.4).

Wow... Finally they redesign the UI!

At least it's not completely fugly like where uTorrent is going to (the reason why my install is frozen at 2.0.4).

This isn't the official 7-zip for Windows, it uses the 7-zip engine.

The UI looks funny (the title bar is centered and such), but it's working fine here. I'm still a WinRAR user, but if this gets finished and a good final product comes out of this, I'm switching in a heartbeat.

Wow, I don't know what version of Paint you're using, but Kuraj is right, the "7zip for Windows 7" (why such a specific OS name?) doesn't look like a native Microsoft app or Paint.

Windows 7.. msPaint.. the menu styles look identical. 7zip for Windows 7 is specific, because that's what the windows 7 ms paint looks like...

heres a picture:

microsoft-paint-in-windows-7-brushes.jpg

msPaint.exe in windows 7.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I see there has been some activity in this thread so I might as well offer some responses; but, first let me update you with what's been happening lately...

Version log:

0.4.0.0 - Mar. 5 2011

• Added support for adding / deleting files from archive without extracting first.
  • 7zip Scenic should now associate with .7z, .rar and .zip files automatically.
  • Fixed a few things and refined the update window to include download information.
  • Added taskbar support to display progress while extracting / compressing.
  • Full support for opening files by double-clicking from Explorer.
  • Added the ability to drop files the user wants to compress from multiple directories. Hold control while dropping files to append to the current archive.

0.3.0.6 - Feb. 20 2011

• Added support for extracting / compressing ecomic formats (.cbr and .cbz).
  • Fixed the Save dialog. It should now be a proper save dialog instead of an open dialog.
  • Added the ability to manually check for updates and to set the update frequency (At start, every day, every week and every month).
  • Fixed the missing icons in the jumplist.
  • Started to add preliminary code for file associations (this option is still disabled though).

And now on to the responses...

I didn't paint the titlebar myself. It's part of the Ribbon Component created by Devexpress. I will look into the possibility of making the title left-aligned as that's really the one thing that has annoyed me while using the otherwise fantastic component.

Does it have all the features found in 7-zip, e.g. favorites, dual panel, etc. ?

I'm not sure which version of 7zip you're using but the version I was using prior to creating this didn't have things like Favorites or Dual Panel. For favorites, in the drop-down menu of the Extract button, it'll remember the last 10 folders you've used.

As someone else pointed out, how is this different from anyone one else on here putting out a free application. I'm not going to go through the trouble of creating a website for something I'm not receiving any payment for. If you're worried about viruses or malicious code, how does distributing through a website guarantee that the file is free from these things?

I loaded it up, the file associations box is greyed out. can't set it to open the correct files. Anyone know why?

edit: just read the above statement about things not finished my bad

Yes, some things are still in flux. I just haven't had the time / interest from anyone else to motivate me to finish those things. It does what I need and does it well enough for me not to worry. Having said that, I have updated it recently to automagically associate with 7z, zip and rar files. If interest is there, I'll see about adding in more and allowing the user to change them at run-time.

It looks closer to native than the official 7zip application does. While things like the titlebar aren't 100%, it is close enough through the use of the Ribbon UI to fit in with other Windows 7 applications like Windows Live Mail and MS Paint. If you're on a version of Windows below 7 than of course this won't look native and quite frankly wasn't the intended operating system it was developed for.

The UI looks funny (the title bar is centered and such), but it's working fine here. I'm still a WinRAR user, but if this gets finished and a good final product comes out of this, I'm switching in a heartbeat.

Again with the UI looking funny? How exactly, beside the titlebar, is it any different from Windows Live Mail or the like? Can those of you that have stated that it 'looks funny' or 'doesn't look right' please show me a screenshot of what it looks like to you?

I'm not sure which version of 7zip you're using but the version I was using prior to creating this didn't have things like Favorites or Dual Panel. For favorites, in the drop-down menu of the Extract button, it'll remember the last 10 folders you've used.

7zip has had Favorites and dual panels for a very long time (although they are not easily discoverable). Both are extremely useful.

7zip has had Favorites and dual panels for a very long time (although they are not easily discoverable). Both are extremely useful.

Ah, I guess I never looked deep enough. Are the Favorites for zip files or folder locations to unzip to? I'll be adding in a Most recently used zip files in the next release accessible from both the Jumplist and from the Open menu.

I'm not sure about the usefulness of the dual pane though. It's essentially the same as opening an Explorer window and dragging files to 7zip Scenic, which is already present. If you wish to add files from multiple places, hold Control while dragging the files to 7zip Scenic.

why is the .net 4 needed for this?

Because that is what it was built on and what is needed for some of the taskbar features: Jumplists, progress display in the taskbar, etc.

Ah, I guess I never looked deep enough. Are the Favorites for zip files or folder locations to unzip to? I'll be adding in a Most recently used zip files in the next release accessible from both the Jumplist and from the Open menu.

I'm not sure about the usefulness of the dual pane though. It's essentially the same as opening an Explorer window and dragging files to 7zip Scenic, which is already present. If you wish to add files from multiple places, hold Control while dragging the files to 7zip Scenic.

To give a practical example...I often test some Windows themes (the ones that require you to patch UxTheme).

They always are archives, so I open them in 7zip press Alt+1 in one pane to go to the Themes folder, and then drag'n'drop the theme from the archives in the Themes folder.

It's way faster than opening an Explorer window, going to C:\Windows\Resources\Themes, opening the zip, and moving the files. ;)

Awesome job, OP! The only question I have about it is whether or not it is better than WinRAR. At the moment I don't see a need for a second compression program even if it is better looking, but if people deem it better than WinRAR then I'll be tempted by it!