7zip for Windows 7

So I took a look at your comment, and I was curious as to why you would be using a third-party control to handle the Ribbon UI when Microsoft has released the API's required to embed Ribbon into your application. Now I am assuming here that you are using VS2010 to develop this GUI layer for 7-Zip. If I am completely wrong about this then please feel free to either completely ignore this or tell me otherwise. :p

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd316910%28v=vs.85%29.aspx#APIs

So I took a look at your comment, and I was curious as to why you would be using a third-party control to handle the Ribbon UI when Microsoft has released the API's required to embed Ribbon into your application. Now I am assuming here that you are using VS2010 to develop this GUI layer for 7-Zip. If I am completely wrong about this then please feel free to either completely ignore this or tell me otherwise. :p

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd316910%28v=vs.85%29.aspx#APIs

from what i understand he is aware that microsoft has released the API and has plans to switch over, just not right away

from what i understand he is aware that microsoft has released the API and has plans to switch over, just not right away

Ah, I see.

Pardon my ignorance but how does one go about adding the integrated context menu options that were in the original 7-Zip? I cannot seem to find out how to do this. :(

Ah, I see.

Pardon my ignorance but how does one go about adding the integrated context menu options that were in the original 7-Zip? I cannot seem to find out how to do this. :(

You can't find it because it isn't there yet.

You can't find it because it isn't there yet.

Yes, I realized this after the user above you stated that it hasn't been implemented yet. Until it has I will be sticking with the original 7-Zip. Will be watching this though. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Seems very inactive. Any updates soon to be expected?

Haven't had much time lately being in the middle of two other projects. I'll try to find some time in the next week to try and get some of those requests added. First one will be the context menus and then, once that is complete, I'll add in the compact mode. The last part shouldn't be too hard. I've already finished the dialog window and the calls are there to start up in that mode, I just need to find time to do the context menus.

Why not use something like SoftPedia to shut up the dropbox haters.

Because I would have to upload and update the SoftPedia entry every time I make a change to the program. That's 18 Mb to upload and 18 Mb for the user to download every time I update the smallest of things. Using DropBox to act as a server lets me use ClickOnce and allows automatic updates which only update the changes. Normally that's only less than 1 Mb.

I use DropBox just as someone else would use a webserver to host their application. It's really no different to having users go to www.mywebsiteishere.com and downloading the ClickOnce setup file from there. It'd just be downloading and installing the updates from there instead of DropBox.

Like I said before, if I was getting paid to do this then I wouldn't have any problem setting up a website to host the files. I'm not and since DropBox is free, that's the way it is - I could have easily chosen Windows Live Mesh to host the files. If people are worried about what is being installed, there's really not much more I can do. Many programs use ClickOnce to help facilitate installation. Epnamer is one that comes to mind straight away. The author of that program just happens to host his files on his own server.

Anyway on to some updates...I just had to open a password protected archive an encountered an error so I found an hour to fix it.

+ Fixed a problem with 7zip Scenic not properly remembering when a user selected "Every Week" or "Every Month" in the Check Frequency menu.

+ Added a check for password protected archives when opening. If the user tries to open an archive that is password protected, it will now ask for the password before trying to open the archive.

+ Added the 'Properties' button. Clicking will now show the properties of the currently open archive.

+ Added the 'Diagnostics' button. Clicking will now check to see if the currently open archive is valid.

• 4 weeks later...

Any news on any updates for this? :(

Sorry mate. I've been having some medical problems lately and haven't been able to do much of anything. When there's an update I'll be sure to make a note of it here.

Sorry mate. I've been having some medical problems lately and haven't been able to do much of anything. When there's an update I'll be sure to make a note of it here.

Ah, fair enough. I perfectly understand, put your health before anything else.

Wish you the best with your health. :)

Ah, fair enough. I perfectly understand, put your health before anything else.

Wish you the best with your health. :)

Thanks mate. Now if only my heart felt the same way... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks mate. Now if only my heart felt the same way... :)

Hope you are doing better as of late. :)

Any chance you could private message me a link to the source (dropbox perhaps?) as I would love to take a look at it. Of course I have no intention of distributing it without permission. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i would love you to make the source code available for this

I am currently looking into the possibility of releasing the source code in case someone else would like to continue expanding upon the current feature set. I'll release more information as things progress.

Any news on this? :( Looked really promising but having heard anything new.

I haven't had much time as of late to continue development. At the moment as things are, it meets my needs and use it nearly every day without problems. Having said that, there are features that have been asked for, including those asked for by yourself, for which haven't been a pressing issue unfortunately. Things like dual pane browsing, favorites, etc... I have though been wanting to add in things like recently used archives and the like so those feature may still be added at a future date in time.

Portable build?

And you really should rename the installer to something better than just setup.

A portable version is not available due to the Ribbon controls used. I'm currently in the process of switching from a 3rd party Ribbon control to a native Windows Ribbon control so it may be possible in the future. As for your second question / comment, most installers are named setup.exe so I fail to see the reasoning behind changing the name.

on the official site it does not show this so i bet it's not a official build.

Who said that this was officially endorsed by 7zip. It's not branded branded as such other than being called 7zip for Windows 7 in the thread name. The official name of the application is 7zip Scenic - scenic coming from the official name of the Ribbon UI used by Microsoft. This is a personal project written by myself using the 7zip wrapper created Markhor for the .net framework. In essence, this is a frontend for the 7zip engine. You'll have to excuse me but I fail to see where anyone would assume or be confused by whether or not this is endorsed by 7zip.

All I request is content menu support like the official 7-Zip does. Its the only deal-breaker for me at this time. :(

A portable version is not available due to the Ribbon controls used. I'm currently in the process of switching from a 3rd party Ribbon control to a native Windows Ribbon control so it may be possible in the future. As for your second question / comment, most installers are named setup.exe so I fail to see the reasoning behind changing the name.

Who said that this was officially endorsed by 7zip. It's not branded branded as such other than being called 7zip for Windows 7 in the thread name. The official name of the application is 7zip Scenic - scenic coming from the official name of the Ribbon UI used by Microsoft. This is a personal project written by myself using the 7zip wrapper created Markhor for the .net framework. In essence, this is a frontend for the 7zip engine. You'll have to excuse me but I fail to see where anyone would assume or be confused by whether or not this is endorsed by 7zip.

Most downloadable installers are NOT named Setup.exe. Most installers on optical media, I would agree with you.

Second, if title something 7zip For Windows 7, most people would assume it's related to the REAL 7zip, for Windows 7 as opposed to Windows XP, for instance. If the official name is 7zip Scenic, then title your thread 7zip Scenic.

Third, they are comments and suggestions. You don't have to reply to them if you're going to come off arrogant and unwilling to thing about what they're saying.

All I request is content menu support like the official 7-Zip does. Its the only deal-breaker for me at this time. :(

I've gotten context-menus to work but there are still some things that are preventing me to push the update. The first being you need to use Run as Administrator - this flaw in this is that when you do the path to application changes because of the way ClickOnce works. It's really a pain in the and I should have looked into that earlier on. I may just need to scrap the ClickOnce updating and use some other method. I am looking into it though and I'm really hoping I'm able to get it working. I too would love to use context-menus to add files to zip things. This is the one thing that I'm disappointed about the release so far.