Tech Star, on 22 September 2011 - 06:48, said:
I suck in this game. :-( Any tips for a noob?
1) Learn to last hit creeps - This will increase the amount of gold you earn which in turn gets you better items faster
2) Don't get greedy - If an enemy champ is near death but covered by an ally and a tower, don't dive in to get the kill unless you are 100% sure you can get away alive
3) Test each of the champs out in single player or vs computer AI, you really need to learn what each does as another poster mentioned
4) Learn the difference between attack damage (AD), ability power (AP) and tanking. In general AD champs are either melee or assassin ranged. AD champs are generally weak but can dish out fast damage. AP champs generally rely on their special abilities to do damage and are typically ranged with a few exceptions. Tanks, well they are just meat shields. Learn what category each champ falls into
5) call mia (missing in action) - every player is responsible for telling their team when someone from the lane they belong to is missing. So for example if I am in the top lane as Alistair and I notice that Singed has disapeared i would typically write the following :TOP MIA, SINGED, HEADED MID. This tells the midder to be careful from the north because they could get ganked from a sneaky singed. When singed comes back to the lane I say: TOP RE. If you don't know where the mia is headed, at the very least tell your team (LANE) MIA. I cannot stress how important this is to the flow of a game. It means the difference between winning and losing due to early game deaths.
6) Do not jungle unless you are level 30 and properly runed and have the proper mastery build. Lots of people like to think they are helping out by jungling but the reality is that jungling is only worthwhile if you can do so without having to run back to base every 10 minutes and if you know how to properly steal creeps from enemy territory.
7) Save your IP for runes. You may be tempted to purchase a new champion with 6K in IP, but I'm telling you to save your IP until level 20 and then purchase all the top tier runes for the builds you like to play. Having the proper runes will make winning easier and therefore will get you back more IP quicker.
8)Exhaust and Flash - These are simply the two best summoner spells. In certain circumstances they may not be, but typically they can be played on ALL champions. They can be used defensively and offensively which gives them the most utility.
9) Call "B" when you are teleporting back to base. There is nothing more upsetting when you think your 6 is covered by your buddy only to find out you have been ganked because your partner decided to go back to base to for a new item. Let your laning partner know you are heading back to B so they can back up closer to the tower.
10) Push towers after kills but don't die doing it! - if you kill an enemy, it is the perfect time to push their tower. The key to winning the game is not necessarily being the best at pvp, but being the team with the best timing at pushing towers. I don't know how many times I have played in games where my team was dominating the enemies but because one of the enemies kept pushing towers and eventually broke through our inhibitors that we had to fall back and eventually lost.
The TYPICAL team structure is 1 tank and a 50% combination of attack damage and ability power. The reason for this is that if a team goes heavy in say attack damage, opponents can stack their armor. If a team goes ability power heavy, then the opponents can stack magical resist. Tanks are important because they can initiate fights, typically taking significantly more damage than other champs.
Good luck and have fun.