Official PS3 vs. The World

Free online, most open console without hacking, minimalistic UI, best media functionality, best 1st party studios.

Forgot to add most future proof hardware, there will be a time when 3D is just an addition to every HDTV, and not a premium feature.

• 3 weeks later...

Media streaming services are pretty great on PS3. No sign ups required, unlike the Zune Marketplace on the Xbox. Though a Sky Player would be more than welcome.

Oh I see we have a hater. Sound the alarm...

I see no point in these threads..........

Im a Xbox 360 personally but I find the PS3 power to be amazing and the free online is a great plus.

But again, without things like my previous post, this thread (and the rest) is pretty ****ty.

Media streaming services are pretty great on PS3. No sign ups required, unlike the Zune Marketplace on the Xbox. Though a Sky Player would be more than welcome.

What media streaming service is available on the PS3 in the US with no sign up?

What media streaming service is available on the PS3 in the US with no sign up?

Not 100% sure, but he may mean you don't need PSN+ or XBL Gold equivalent for Netflix. Not sure what that has to do with Zune Marketplace, tho, I know nothing about that, but thought it was like an iTunes.

I am not certain I would ever say any console is better than any other being that they all play to different strengths however, one thing I like that the PS3 has that the 360 does not, is FREE online, not to mention it has a Bluray player. As far as being better than the Wii it is no contest as the Wii cannot even produce an HD signal :p

Not 100% sure, but he may mean you don't need PSN+ or XBL Gold equivalent for Netflix. Not sure what that has to do with Zune Marketplace, tho, I know nothing about that, but thought it was like an iTunes.

He's from the UK, he's taking about Lovefilm/BBC iPlayer/ITV Player and 4OD being available to all PSN users, where as Sky Player/Zune require XBLG.

For starters, the whole "online is free!!1!11" argument is lame and tired so give that a rest.

Positives:

PS3 Media Server is awesome.

The Uncharted and Ratchet/Clank series are great.

Infamous is one of my most favorite games.

Blu-ray playback is decent.

UI is pretty slick once you figure out where everything is.

Negatives:

PSN is sloooooooooooooow as hell. It takes forever to download games or patches.

Constant updates and forced game installs. (3-4GB install for GT5 plus 650MB patch...WTF??)

Poor left stick placement on the controller. FPS are hard to play with the DS3.

Move is lame and unnecessary. The Eye has a pathetically bad resolution.

If the game is a port from the xbox or PC, the PS3 version looks/plays like crap (eg. Dragon Age).

For starters, the whole "online is free!!1!11" argument is lame and tired so give that a rest.

No it's not, online play is a huge part of gaming whether you like it or not, and whether you get annoyed at people enjoying not paying to play online or not.

I only had my PS3 for a few months but fav thing was blu-ray playback. I have 'other' devices for games. If....ok.....when I get a ps3 again it will probably be mainly for it's blu-ray ability and media server ease of use.

Fanboy / Flamework topic ....

Each console has advantages and disadvantages

What I do love about the PS3.

• Netflix access (still need to pay for netflix itself) via free PSN is a free service
  • Blu-Ray / Up Convert DVD Player
  • The Dual Shock controller design (my personal preference)

Things I dislike about Sony / PS3

• Removal of PS2 compabaility not for cost of manufacture reduction but to push PS3 sales / software.
  • Removal of Linux due to possible hacking vs actually fixing the issue directly

No it's not. Xbox live is what, $60 a year? So if you want to play online, after 3 years it costs you $180. 4 years = $240. 5 years = $300 spent just on online! You could almost buy another console for that price.

I think the free online is one of the best selling points.

- Built in wireless is handy.

- I don't care personally a whole lot, but it's got Blu-Ray.

- Built in batteries in the controller. The Wii or Xbox you have to change/charge batteries, or for the Xbox you have to buy an additional play-n-charge thingy.

PSN is sloooooooooooooow as hell. It takes forever to download games or patches.

Constant updates and forced game installs. (3-4GB install for GT5 plus 650MB patch...WTF??)

Just curious since I don't own a 360, how do they handle updates on that platform? Whenever I hear complaints about patch-hell, it's usually from people who use their ps3 once a month.. it's a pretty high chance there'll be a gamepatch waiting then.. are updates always downloaded in the background on 360? otherwise I can't really see what the difference would be, since most patches are released cross-platform.

Just curious since I don't own a 360, how do they handle updates on that platform? Whenever I hear complaints about patch-hell, it's usually from people who use their ps3 once a month.. it's a pretty high chance there'll be a gamepatch waiting then.. are updates always downloaded in the background on 360? otherwise I can't really see what the difference would be, since most patches are released cross-platform.

i think part of it is psn download speeds are so slow, and patches are so much bigger on ps3 than xbox. and there is no way to queue yup downloads with teh ps3, where as dlc and stuff you can queue everything up, and walk away.

not sure if xbox has background downloads or not.

that being said, ps3 updates have the potential to have more fixes more often and new free content. especially after steam support is added for valve games et al.

xbl is more closed compared to other consoles and more streamlined than them as well. and that's why you pay a premium for it over psn.

maybe psn+ will increase download speeds and add more premium services to compete with xbl's non gaming specific stuff.

anyways when i had my ps3 i found it very easy to set up the internet after i got past a hiccup(more pebcak due to inexperience with routers, but i could see it being an issue for the average console gamer) and the media streaming set up with win vista was very easy, not that i went much further and actually used it so idk how the quality was.