Opera 11 is better than the latest Chrome and Firefox Nightlies

Four main reasons i wont use opera

Its built in Sync is terrible, doesnt sync properly to my other windows PC's and my phone. Speed dial is always different and either missing entries, or having deleted ones, or in the wrong order. Bookmark sync is the same, very bad, wouldnt trust it ever.

On the sync issue, the extension system is still lacking, so Xmarks(the only Sync ive ever found that works well) doesnt work on Opera, but does on Chrome/Firefox. I use Lastpass for PW sync and that DOES work on opera, but need bookmarks now.

Secondly, the click to activate on flash is irritating

Third, i find the UI less responsive than Chrome really. It can get choppy when scrolling n stuff. My system isnt slow, its an i7 930 with Radeon 5870, 6gigs ram. No reason opera should be slow on Win7. But it is less responsive than chrome for sure.

Fourth, no SOCKS proxy support.

Use the browser which you like , if YOU find it better than any other , others MAY not. Promote it , but don't start comparisons and activate troll mechanisms.

• Like 1

Opera has it flaws but it's still very good AND it has the bonus of being the only major browser (apart from IE) that can render fonts in a way that isn't absolutely pathetic. Chrome makes everything really thin, pixellated and has too much colour hinting, while firefox just has too much colour hinting and some issues with aa.

Opera has it flaws but it's still very good AND it has the bonus of being the only major browser (apart from IE) that can render fonts in a way that isn't absolutely pathetic. Chrome makes everything really thin, pixellated and has too much colour hinting, while firefox just has too much colour hinting and some issues with aa.

u need to work out and get some facts right , try latest builds of Firefox (Version 9) and compare , even IE9 does it kinda right after those hotfixes...

I have the latest version of each browser on my machine. Firefox fonts look hideous because I use visual styles for windows - a bug which they've known about for ages but don't fix.

Chrome stable is poor in this regard, but Canary is an utter disaster.

If I don't, they look passable but still a step down from Opera and Safari.

Do you mind sharing the Firefox bug where the fonts look hideous? I'm using Visual Styles too for Firefox, and the fonts look exactly the same everywhere I look. Is there a particular section where there is a noticeable difference?

I know you are putting chrome's syncing features down cause apparently google is spying on me through this but I can't live without the syncing features.... all my bookmarks are synced with google now and my bars, extensions, settings... everything is synced to my google account. I donwload chrome on a new computer, put in my google username and password and it downloads everything for me in one quick step and it's like I am on my old computer. it simply works.

Do you mind sharing the Firefox bug where the fonts look hideous? I'm using Visual Styles too for Firefox, and the fonts look exactly the same everywhere I look. Is there a particular section where there is a noticeable difference?

The font rendering in general looks particularly bad. I think in there was a Firefox thread about the issue in which I posted screenshots - the easiest place to highlight was on the Firefox menu - the menu text would have really quite hideous rendering.

http://www.neowin.ne...ith-hw-acc-off/

So I hadn't used FF for a while - the colour hinting is not present, but the fonts actually look worse than before for me. Screenshots below;

FF: http://i.imgur.com/EQRx4.png

Opera: http://i.imgur.com/UjGuk.jpg

Fwiw, the latest version of Canary looks even worse than FF does at the moment.

Ah, okay, I can see your point. Font smoothing does look much better in Opera in those images. Firefox to me is just using Windows default and I guess just feels normal to me. One reason why I can't wait to switch to a Mac this year!