Is Final Fantasy 7 Greatest Game of All-Time?

178 members have voted

1. 1. Is Final Fantasy 7 Greatest Game of All-Time?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, but in the Top 3

FF7? No i don't believe it's the best game of all time. That honor clearly goes to FFXIII.

Super Metroid is the best game of all time.

You guys are both right. I guess we need two universes to cover this.

+100000 :wub:

Still the best JRPG ever made, in my humble opinion.

Close.

Terranigma has a spot in my heart.. I couldn't tell you what I love more though.

SE has give so much attention to their beloved FF and Dragon Warrior, and Kingdom Hearts series'. But where's the Chrono love? The last Chrono game came out 11 years ago!

No. The greatest game of all time would be Ocarina of Time.

Link To The Past all the way.

Anyway I haven't played FF7...or any so I won't comment on that aspect. However I'd rate my fav games of all time in no particular order Mario 64, Donkey Kong Country, Half life 1 (1 > 2 IMO), Counterstrike Source and Baldurs Gate 2. There's a few other noteworthy titles that probably just miss the list.

I haven't really played any JRPGs and have no interest in the genre so from the above, BG2 is my favorite RPG of all time.

1st grade O'Doyle: Mortal Kombat on the Sega Genesis is the best video game ever.????

Billy Madison: I disagree. It's a very good game, but I think Donkey Kong is the best video game ever.????

1st grade O'Doyle: Donkey Kong sucks!????

Billy Madison: You know somethin'? You suck!

• 1 year later...

All-time greatest games in my library are:

1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past
  2. Final Fantasy 6
  3. Super Mario RPG
  4. Suikoden 1+2 (tie)
  5. Final Fantasy 7 (only because I can never spawn the black Chocobo to get the Knights of the Round summon spell)

Great, at least at it's time.

However, there some elements that haven't aged well. It's kinda like this, it's was an important event, maybe not as relevant down the road, but still doesn't change it's sign fiance back then.

From PS1 era, I hold Xenosaga, Sukioden I & II as a better games, then Final Fantasy 7.

Great, at least at it's time.

However, there some elements that haven't aged well. It's kinda like this, it's was an important event, maybe not as relevant down the road, but still doesn't change it's sign fiance back then.

From PS1 era, I hold Xenosaga, Sukioden I & II as a better games, then Final Fantasy 7.

Suikoden 2 is awesome. +1 for that game. Finding a copy is a rarity though. Wish it would show up on the PSP/PS3 like the first one did.

Top five games I played based on hours played:

1. Battlefield 2 + Mods

2. Dark Souls

3. Demon's Souls

4. Metal Gear Online

5. STALKER + Mods

Of course, there are many games that I absolutely love but I think my play time speaks for itself. The only exception I could think of is The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past based on the sheer number of times I've replayed that game. Runners up being the Megaman Legends series, Secret of Mana, Warcraft 2 + Expansions, and the Heavy Gear series. I used to like Xenogears a lot when I was a young teenager but now I don't think I could ever sit through that game again.

Additionally, if I were to name the greatest game of all time as far as the world is concerned, it would be Super Mario Bros. That game pretty much rebirthed the gaming industry in the United States and has become the most iconic game of all time.

I dont know if it's the best. It's surely for me on the top 10 and honestly anything in the top 10 is just as great as the overall number 1.

I think Metal Gear Solid 3 or system Shock 2 would top it just for the craftsmanship.

Nop, Final Fantasy 7 is an overrated game, for those that for the first time entered to the RPG world thanks to the masive PSX acceptation. FF6 was actually really well made.

• 4 weeks later...

I could go with Super Mario Bros 3 being the greatest game of all time (although I'm personally more partial to Super Mario Land thanks to nostalgia, but I really do think that Gunpei Yokoi is a better designer than Shigeru Miyamoto). Final Fantasy 7, hell no. There are better Final Fantasy games. And there are better JRPGs than all the Final Fantasy games (Persona series is easily a notch above Final Fantasy).

FF7 is the most overrated game of all time, not the greatest.

It's definitely top 3 for most overrated, but Ocarina of Time takes the crown.

So you can't accept your coworkers opinion and come to Neowin to ask what ours is? lol tongue.gif

Seriously tho there is no right or wrong answer. As you've seen above some believe FF6 is the best FF of all time but that is just opinion as well. Ocarina of Time? Opinion. I'm not gonna vote nor state what I believe, because it doesn't mean anything.

Actually, given how many hundreds of thousands of games there are out there, saying that any specific game is not the greatest game of all time is a 100% right answer to 20 significant figures.

FF7 is a great game, one of the best but not the greatest of all time, for that you need to look at games which changed the landscape

Wolfenstein

Doom

Command and Conquer

Fallout / Fallout 2

Street Fighter

Mortal Kombat

Things like that, and of course I'm totally biased towards the fallout series (all before Tactics, but even that was ok to some extent)

I can appreciate this way of thinking, but I don't think it's true. It's the refinement of a particular genre that's the best. Can you honestly say that any of those games had more of an impact on the gaming landscape than Mario? And as much of an impact that SMB had, SMB3 and SMW were definitely better games. Same as Doom II was definitely better than Doom. Half-Life was better than Doom II or Quake 2. Deus Ex was better than Half-Life. Even Deus Ex doesn't hold up to the test of time. Mirror's Edge seriously disrupted the entire FPS genre. I can't go back to any other FPS after experiencing that kind of freedom of movement, but ME has some very clear problems too, so it can't be the greatest either.

Guys, help me out here. Me and a guy at work always get into this debate of what's the greatest game of all-time. He keeps insisting that FF7 for the Playstation 1 is the greatest game of all-time. I have not played it so I can't comment. Please help us out here to settle this once and for all.

Subjective topic, is ...well...subjective.

Imo Mario pt 1 is the best, along with duckhunt.