Photo

[PS3] Why are software updates so slow?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
54 replies to this topic

#1 Vice

Vice

Bye!

Posted 21 December 2010 - 18:47

Since I got my PS3 years ago the software updates have always been really slow. The firmware updates aren't to bad but the game updates seem to take an eternity.

For example I got GT5 a while back and I decided today to fire it up, So I update my PS3's firmware that took about 15 Minutes to download and install, then I ran the game and it wanted to download a 608MB update for the game.

On the right it said this update would take 14 minutes, well it took more like an hour and 20 minutes :rolleyes: - When I had GT5: Prologue that also took forever to update. Why do these things take so damn long? I have a 100Mb uncapped internet connection and I can usually download a 600MB file in under a minute on Steam, iTunes etc why is the PS3 so slow?

#2 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 21 December 2010 - 18:50

My mom says when she updates the PS3 I gave her to play netflix it takes 45 mins.

#3 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 21 December 2010 - 18:50

Have you got a Type 2 NAT?

#4 Kvally

Kvally

Neowin Veteran

• Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 21 December 2010 - 18:52

PSN has improved dramatically in speed over the past 4 years. However, I still think there is a bottleneck on the PSN side causing the issues you see (as well as others). Many times it has to do with people all downloading the patches at the same time. Everyone and their mom has been trying to get that 608mb patch over the past 24-48 hours, which will be an issue. There will be hundreds of thousands of new PS3 owners this Christmas all connecting their PS3 on 12/25 at the same time, and getting all these patches as well.

I think there are many factors in the slower performance of PSN compared to your regular internet connection speed as I mentioned above, but I personally think Sony's infrastructure is designed this way.

#5 OP Vice

Vice

Bye!

Posted 21 December 2010 - 19:04

Have you got a Type 2 NAT?

Yeah it said NAT Type: Type 2

Is this causing my issues?

#6 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 21 December 2010 - 19:09

Yeah it said NAT Type: Type 2

Is this causing my issues?

Nope, NAT2 is what you want.

Do a speed test, settings, internet connection test.

#7 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 21 December 2010 - 19:13

Firmware updates take forever on mine however, game updates only take a few minutes (most game updates I see are between 15 and 100 MB though)

#8 TonyLock

TonyLock

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 December 2010 - 19:18

They should use the Amazon cloud to ease the balance of multiple users downloading the same file.

How does Hotfile and RapidShare do it?

#9 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 21 December 2010 - 19:21

They should use the Amazon cloud to ease the balance of multiple users downloading the same file.

How does Hotfile and RapidShare do it?

Massive Tubes

#10 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 December 2010 - 19:29

PSN is ungodly slow for me too. It's a pain in the ass when you want to play a game and have to wait for the bloody thing to update.

:angry:

#11 vetFourjays

Fourjays

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 December 2010 - 23:35

It varies quite a lot for me, depending on the game. The GT5 update was pretty average, but then everyone would be downloading it. Others are quick, others are slow... remember a 35MB Buzz update once took over an hour and I've had 200MB updates for other games complete in under 5 minutes.

Probably a lot of variables involved in it, like most web services.

#12 Miuku

Miuku

Neowinian

Posted 21 December 2010 - 23:39

I think there may be some regional variance too - I get blazing speeds from PSN and the updates are about as fast as they come down the pipe.

#13 Dc'1

Dc'1

Ooush

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 800

Posted 21 December 2010 - 23:39

My updates usually aren't too bad, but I wish they were as fast as the Xbox updates... :unsure: Then again I've never seen one of them download a patch for a game only firmware.

#14 mad_onion

mad_onion

In varietate concordia

Posted 21 December 2010 - 23:43

My updates usually aren't too bad, but I wish they were as fast as the Xbox updates... :unsure: Then again I've never seen one of them download a patch for a game only firmware.

Almost every game I've ever played on xbox 360 has had an update. They're just so fast you might not remember them.

It would be interesting to know what the difference is between the way updates are packaged that allows 360 updates to be smaller.

#15 Neo003

Neo003

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.

Posted 21 December 2010 - 23:55

I don't like that you have to download over 150 meg of data for an update, not that I have connection issue but Sony haven’t updated there servers since forever. It takes solid 10 min (yes sometime even more) to download an update, even though my connection is 20Mbps.