Acer Revo gets a horrible wireless signal

Hi guys,

Setup my Revo onto my wireless network and the signal is actually quite terrible - cuts out constantly, never works as it should, my downloads will move between actual 0kb and about 800kbps, sometimes pages never load, and when I try to stream anything through 4od, iPlayer, Sky Player etc it constantly stops and buffers.

If I use my homeplug (but currently used for my PC so not ideal for a long term solution) all of these issues go away.

I've tried changing the channel the router is on, and the Revo is right next to the (recently added) Xbox 360 and PS3, both of which work absolutely fine on the network.

Any other suggestions please before I just buy a new homeplug? Cheers

And what security are you using? Are you broadcasting your SSID?

I have seen quite often, are you sure your on your wireless network, and not the guy next doors ;)

How does the device work on some other wireless network? Maybe the wireless in the device is just crap? What signal are you getting - terrible doesn't say much, what is the actual strength and SNR?

Test it with No security - does that fix it? Test with with WEP, WPA (tkip and AES try both), WPA2 -- are you getting the same results no matter what? That points to actual singal problem - try moving the device around your house.. What if your in same room with wireless router - what is your signal strength? Too close can cause problems as well.

What specific Revo do you have?

And what security are you using? Are you broadcasting your SSID?

I have seen quite often, are you sure your on your wireless network, and not the guy next doors ;)

How does the device work on some other wireless network? Maybe the wireless in the device is just crap? What signal are you getting - terrible doesn't say much, what is the actual strength and SNR?

Test it with No security - does that fix it? Test with with WEP, WPA (tkip and AES try both), WPA2 -- are you getting the same results no matter what? That points to actual singal problem - try moving the device around your house.. What if your in same room with wireless router - what is your signal strength? Too close can cause problems as well.

What specific Revo do you have?

That's what I was wondering - mine has never had any probs with getting a decent wi-fi signal, either when it's right next to the router, or in a separate room.

Thanks for the replies - I'm just using a regular BeBox using the standard settings really, think that's WPA2 security but I shall check now, and I shall also try with different settings - I am definitely not using next door's connection though :D

The actual signal says it's at full strength but I'm not sure that means a lot - at times it is perfect though and then the speed will just randomly drop to nothing.

It's a R3610 by the way.

Oh and it's in the room next to the router - like I said the Macbook, Wii, PS3 and 360 all work fine from in there.

Cheers again

hmmm

"the signal is actually quite terrible"

"The actual signal says it's at full strength"

So which is it??

like I said post up some actual numbers. Grab http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider and show us your wireless landscape, what other wireless in the area, what channels, etc. What does the signal strength look like over time, does it bounce around. Not sure what actual card is in that machine, but like if intel -- their software will show you signal strength, etc. but much easier to just grab something like inssider so you can log/graph it over time.

post-14624-0-03946400-1293730664.png

I believe that model has N, is our router N? Xbox and ps3 are not N? Change your revo to be G only if that is all your router supports.

Is your SSID Unique and being broadcasted? If there are other networks in the area with the same SSID, your computer might be trying to roam to them for better connection, etc.. Your wireless card driver should have the ability to to that off, etc.

The SSID is definitely unique but some other great pointers thank you! Gonna turn on the Revo now and run that software to check... I'll look into stop roaming too, and the router is only G unfortunately

(I do have a Buffalo router I may try out sometime too, but it was close to ?70 and if I can get away with the BeBox I'll just sell that one!)

Tried moving it around, absolutely no joy unfortunately, still the same crappy signal! :(

Here's a screenshot using that program:

666Capture.png

Tempted to buy another homeplug as I'm not sure what next to try, ahh!

yeah that signal is just terrible -- your in the same room?

Do you have this revo on the back of your monitor like the picture.. Doe sit have an external wireless antenna you can use?

From the other wireless you should be on channel 1

There are really only 3 channels that do not overlap, 1, 6 and 11 -- other channels on 6 and 11, so you should be on 1.. That might help a little - but yeah that signal is way to low.. And your in the same room as the router? You must have your monitor between you and the router?

As you saw from mine double your signal strength and I was on the other room from the router.

Can you connect a external antenna??

Thanks for the replies - will switch to channel 1 and see how I get on, fingers crossed it will pickup a little (it was set to auto before, so for all I know it could be on a conflicting channel anyway!)

The Revo is just sat under my TV really, it's a Panasonic P46S20 and I don't think there's a way to put it on the back.

Theres only one (very thin!) wall between the Revo and the router though - the signal on this Macbook has the full 5 bars, the signal on the PS3 right next to the Revo says 100% and the 360 is pretty mucht the same too!

Channel 1 here I come.

well -54 is better than -67 ;)

But if your other devices are showing 5 bars, it points to the antenna in the revo just being crap ;) Can you attach a external antenna to it?

Here you go

Acer Aspire Revo WiFi Improved & Boosted

He is doing a mod on his Revo 3610.

He added an external antenna -- which is what it sounds like you need to boost your signal.

In the video is what I was talking about being on the back of the monitor - from the revo info I have looked at they are designed to sit on the back of your monitor, etc. which could be blocking signal - but you say yours is not.. So just looks to be a bad design for wifi access if you ask me.

You would think they would of allowed for you to use an external antenna with a long lead on it so you could place it where it could get a good signal if the cpu itself sits behind a monitor in practice.

But to be honest, since it a stationary computer you might be better of just using hard wired connection vs wifi at all. Leave more bandwidth for your other wifi devices ;)

Good Luck - and let us know what you finally do either antenna mod or hard wire. Or you could try an external usb like he mentions - some come with long leads to mount them in good location, etc.