Rift MMO

I recommend running mainly saboteur. I use a pet (ranger) to tank while i load an enemy up with mines, and then boom!

Brilliant at rifts too due to aoe effects.

Yeah I know they aren't exactly in the same category - I've heard mixed things about DA2 as well. I guess I will wait on DA2 to be released for a few months to get a better idea. Still trying to finish DAO anyway. Rift it is!

To be honest, you can try DA2, be it the demo that was released like a week or two ago, or by "other means", you can't really try Rift yet (without buying it, obviously).

So you should go ahead and play DA2 for now, if it's really that bad, you lost a bit of time, but you still have your money :)

Also, it's always a good idea to wait out the launch of a new MMORPG, even an established MMORPG like WoW has a lot of issues when a new expansion or a big patch is released, so that's another reason to hold off on Rift.

That is, if you're careful with your money, if you don't mind the bugs or the disappointment, buy them both. Although, you can always cancel your Rift sub (first month is free, no ?) and/or return/trade DA2 (if boxed).

About GUI delays, I noticed that too, especially with the soul tree screen (N)..

Just a heads-up: the account fishing emails are starting to make the rounds. I'm not sure how they got my e-mail address (they were pretty obvious fishing attempts, I don't play rift). They take the form of most other fishing attempts:

Hey

Your password was changed successfully, click here to confirm the change.

and

hey

Your account has been reported for breaking rules and will be banned, click here to dispute this charge.

Feel free to pad them with varying degrees of crappy English.

The all have links to riftgames dot net rather than riftgame.net (note the lack fo an "s").

Just a heads-up: the account fishing emails are starting to make the rounds. I'm not sure how they got my e-mail address (they were pretty obvious fishing attempts, I don't play rift). They take the form of most other fishing attempts:

and

Feel free to pad them with varying degrees of crappy English.

The all have links to riftgames dot net rather than riftgame.net (note the lack fo an "s").

Thanks for the heads up (Y)

I did FC today, it was quite awesome. My necro spec has really grown into a powerful dps spec these past few levels.

I wouldn't mind trying another MMO, but I'm not fond of being charged $50 to start playing and another $15/month to keep going.. especially without ever having tried the game.

MMOs need a new formula, or at least comprehensive new systems that make it more bearable and less standard. Guild wars 2 looks pretty cool (especially being a single purchase) - they seem to be doing things to encourage ad-hoc cooperation rather than allow the same old party systems, kill stealing without said parties, etc.

I wouldn't mind trying another MMO, but I'm not fond of being charged $50 to start playing and another $15/month to keep going.. especially without ever having tried the game.

MMOs need a new formula, or at least comprehensive new systems that make it more bearable and less standard. Guild wars 2 looks pretty cool (especially being a single purchase) - they seem to be doing things to encourage ad-hoc cooperation rather than allow the same old party systems, kill stealing without said parties, etc.

I'm not sure what you mean by kill stealing (a mob is yours after you hit it once), but the game is not a huge deviation from WoW. It plays like vanilla WoW, dungeon/raid/difficulty wise, and it has a few different systems to add a nice spin to the formula.

I'm sorry if it was stated already, but does the retail version of the game come with friend trial-codes?

Nope, but i imagine they will have a trial in a few months.

Well - I got Rift over DA2 and I am glad that I did. I have been enjoying Rift so far (only managed to get to level 10). Things seem pretty well polished and the community seems great so far. The quests seem like your standard MMO kill this, get that quest but the writing seems good and I have enjoyed getting into the story and lore of the game. I love the class system so far and things seem pretty well balanced for a launch. I haven't played an MMO in a long time - this will be a good fix for a while. I've been keeping an eye on SWTOR and that looks great.

I tried the beta but couldn't get into it. It just seemed too... unpolished? The animations we're stiff and combat system wasn't anything to write home about.

Of course beta's are rarely polished and I'm sure they've improved stuff since I played, however for me to be willing to seperate with ?30 I need to know what I'm getting upfront :p It just didn't seem to be quite there for me.

I tried the beta but couldn't get into it. It just seemed too... unpolished? The animations we're stiff and combat system wasn't anything to write home about.

Of course beta's are rarely polished and I'm sure they've improved stuff since I played, however for me to be willing to seperate with ?30 I need to know what I'm getting upfront :p It just didn't seem to be quite there for me.

I would call the beta anything BUT unpolished. The game is extremely stable, has virtually no major bugs, any everything works well. The combat animations felt a little off to me in melee as well, but seems absolutely fine as a spellcaster. The combat system is very alike to WoW's, but i find the different souls can lead to some really interesting playstyles and synergy. For instance, on my necro/warlock each fight is a balance between maintaining spell stacks for my pet, and building up charge for myself.

Yea, I am still playing the game. I am at level 32 now. I should of been higher but I have slowed down the last week or so. I should be 50 by the end of the month. Then I need to decide if I will start a new character or cancel my subscription before it goes through. Not because its a bad game, just because I tend to stop playing games quickly. This is the first MMO for me that I got past level 20 lol

Yea, I am still playing the game. I am at level 32 now. I should of been higher but I have slowed down the last week or so. I should be 50 by the end of the month. Then I need to decide if I will start a new character or cancel my subscription before it goes through. Not because its a bad game, just because I tend to stop playing games quickly. This is the first MMO for me that I got past level 20 lol

Haha, since you've managed to get past 20 you should give end game raiding a shot once you hit 50. I'm kinda regretting rolling mage, warriors seem so fun...

Haha, since you've managed to get past 20 you should give end game raiding a shot once you hit 50. I'm kinda regretting rolling mage, warriors seem so fun...

Yea the Mage seems to have issues, underpowered etc. Next char will be Warrior or not Mage lol

Wife and I both play Mages. We both also play different souls combos'. I play a Necromancer / Warlock / Dominator and she plays Chloromancer / Warlock / Dominator.

Yea the Mage seems to have issues, underpowered etc. Next char will be Warrior or not Mage lol

The main problem for me i think is that there is a lack of synergy. Most of the mage souls have a bunch of passive talents that boost their element (such as Pyro has + fire damage), this leads to having very little synergy between the souls since you get many talent points that won't do much for you. Instead of getting to mix different soul attacks it comes down to me choosing two that are alike as to not be totally weak. When i played Warrior on beta i did not have this problem at all.

Bringing this back up, as I know we're all having too much fun playing to post.

Hit 45 last night. I've been playing assassin, riftstalker, nightblade, which has been awesome for grind/questing. With all my talents now I have next to 0 downtime. I've been looking towards endgame more and decided to make a second soul and make it full bard. Tried it yesterday and in the first 15 minutes was number 1 for heals in the warfronts. Never ever played heal or support, and it wasn't easy either. I've got up to the 44 point heal talent and it was rockin.

Anyways hoping to get as close to 50 as possible today.

Cheers!

Yea hit 40 tonight. Very awesome. The mage is for sure a char to play with people. I basically can't do much by myself. Still enjoying.

Yea hit 40 tonight. Very awesome. The mage is for sure a char to play with people. I basically can't do much by myself. Still enjoying.

Necro with Dom makes thinks soloable. Tank Necro pet and CC from Dom.

Necro with Dom makes thinks soloable. Tank Necro pet and CC from Dom.

I find that Necro/Warlock is the best combination for soloing. Imp. Void bolt + imp. charge gains = absolutely absurd killing speed. I don't bother to use my knight anymore unless it's an elite, as me with my zealot tear through things.

Hit 40 on my Cleric last night and then decided to re-roll a Mage, I really didn't enjoy my Cleric, I only rolled it because I've been playing Healers for a long time in MMO's and it felt like my logical choice. Looking forward to giving Chloro a go.

Still having a total blast with this game despite the amount of QQ on the official forums it's definitely worth the money so far imo.

Mages will be given a bit of a boost in the upcoming major patch, and some of the warriors will be fixed - so hopefully that will make mages more fun to play. I've got one sitting on level 10, because even at that level its such a slog getting through games.

I've had great fun with a rogue that I constantly switch between bard/sab, a warrior that has been mainly a reaver with a bit of paladin thrown in, and a cleric which is mainly a shaman/justicar.